how many miles

car.crash
car.crash Posts: 170
edited November 2009 in MTB general
what sort of mileage do you guys put in when riding offroad. i did about 6-7 miles today. was the first time i rode a bike in about 8 years. i was pretty tired but the main reason i headed home was because i ran out of water. if i was on the road i think i could have easily doubled the mileage but being on a new bike on very soft woodland or sloppy mud killed me. now i know im unfit but wonderd what sort of mileage you guys pull off on your weekend rides.

Comments

• warrerj
    warrerj Posts: 665
    Anything from 8-10 miles (normally more like 12) to 35-40 miles.

I try to get out at least twice a week. 1 shorter ride after work and 1 longer on the weekend. If I can I'll get out 2-3 times in the week and 1 longer ride on the weekend.
  • Sarnian
    Sarnian Posts: 1,451
    I ride about 5 times a week, and the distance varies depending on the day, shortest 20 miles, longest 35 miles. I also commute somewhere between 10-15 miles a week.

6-7 miles is good going if you have not been on a bike for 8 years, keep It up you will soon get the distance back :D
    It's not a ornament, so ride It
  • i really did struggle hacking through the thick mud in places. now i need to set up the bike and learn how to use the suspension properly on where to stiffen it up and where to lock out etc. im going to get a camelbak and carry more fluids and then hopefully i can hit 10 miles on next outing. im sure if i had a riding buddy with me it will be more enjoyable.
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Don't sweat the distance, comparing off road distances is like comparing apples and pears. Mud or wind can treble the effective distance and if you're not used to it, it can kill you really easily. You'll also have good and bad days, it's the nature of the beast.

My local evening ride is about 8.5 miles, weekend rides can be 15 to 30 miles and the longest I've done in a day is 47.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • I have two local routes which I use in the evenings. One is 12 miles and the other is 14, but both are totally different and one has more climbs. At weekends I usually do Follow the Dog at Cannock, unless the weather is shite and then I do a ride around Kingsbury Water Park which is 18 miles. I had quite a number of years off a bike, so when I restarted I used to time my evening runs and keep trying to beat my personal best.
    Ridley Orion
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    I do rides from two and half miles to about ten miles because of time contraints, but it is often and on the bike :wink:
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll:
  • I did around 20- 25 miles today which is a lot for me , but normally its about 10-12 miles a couple of times a week. I only started about 3 months ago and was kinda shocked the other day when my mate who is a gym and tennis freak came out with me and was almost physically sick and sweating like a beast on the first serious climb.
    Yod did well for your first outing and camelbaks do really help , just go at your own pace and enjoy biking thats the main thing.
  • Ive two local loops, one 20miles which i do if its windy or i aint got much time and one 44miles which used to cripple me but i find it quite easy now.
    5 miles used to cripple me 6 months ago.

08 Spec FSRxc //// rockhopper
  • bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    over the summer for my saturday rides i reckoned anything less than 30 was short, 50+ was good. now i have less time and more mud to get through its more like 15-20 average. i'm still (mostly) having as much fun though, which is what matters!
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.
  • stev68
    stev68 Posts: 109
    +1 for the fun factor,midweek night run usually about 6 to 8 miles,weekend between 10 and fifteen,just ride till yours legs tell you its time to go home lol
    Told ya itll hurt!
  • mellex
    mellex Posts: 214
    If you've been off a bike for 8 years and you decided to put in the effort and get out there in the recent weather, I don't care how many miles you did, you get my vote.

I try to get out for at least four rides during the week. Two of those will be simple night rides along the river and I tend to cover between 12-15 miles.

The weekend is set aside for a trip to my local spot. I cover 10 miles on the road and between 10-15 at the spot. Depends how long I spend fooling around on the jumps :lol:
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    My local loop is 20-25 miles. Ride to Follow The Dog, do S13-17, loop round the SEA, Follow The Dog S8-12, ride home.

Once I'm out I can't ride less than 15 miles :D
  • Mccraque
    Mccraque Posts: 819
    Anything from the 12miles I did yesterday to my usual 20mile loop or 35 if heading somewhere special.

So many factors, as mentioned above....so cant class any of the above as typical. Although I guess I do the 20miler most often...
  • Hadaka
    Hadaka Posts: 68
    Like you I am back riding after a long break.

I am trying to lose weight and get fit again

Im 49 and down to just over 18 stone :oops: but loving being out there again.

I have been doing a 7 mile ride, half river tow path, and half road... this Sunday though I did a 18mile road ride....god by arse :shock: I suffered all day.

Still time will heal :D
  • saltyman
    saltyman Posts: 472
    just done the 27mile off road lakeside route at kielder, good conditions so not too bad, though this is split into two as i stop for a cuppa and cake half way round :lol:

if im doing more intense work, ie a red route etc i tend to do less than 20 miles.

my local route for fitness is a 15mile loop i can do without any problems, ie local cycleway 1 litre of water usually.

i try and do a long distance ride, 50-60miles every month if i can to work the legs as i dont get out on my bike as much as i would like to.

used to commute, so 100-200 mile a week was normal for me once, wish i was that fit again!
    roberts dogs bolx
    cannondale hooligan 1
    cannondale badboy