Off road routes East Yorkshire

wmark
wmark Posts: 8
Hi, I have 3 teenage lads and am looking for some off road routes in East Yorks (Beverley or somewhere within 10 - 15 miles radius) for them, and perhaps even me, if there are any. I can, and will, take them to Dalby but just want something local if possible to begin with, as a taster, in case it's just another fad. Any help or guidance anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Mark

Comments

• I live near Beverley - locally it's linking bridleways with the old railway (Beverley - Market Weighton) and back roads. My basic routes are round Cherry Burton/Bishop Burton/Newbald/Etton, but I.m sure there are more!
  • wmark
    Hi, thanks for that I'd almost given up. Where does old railway begin, and do the routes take you much on the main highways? If you could let me know where a good starting point is I'm sure we'll (they'll) easily find routes that suit as we (they) go along. Thanks again, Mark
  • ok, this is the full works route which I usually pick & choose bits of: (you'll need a map to follow it!) (multimap works quite well!)
    On road from Cherry Burton to Bishop Burton on Bishop Burton Rd (the dip by the back entrance to the college isn't great safety wise). Across A1079 towards Walkington but then turn right towards the back of Bishop Burton. Through Bishop Burton - it's basically right left right left & brings you out onto the "High Hunsley Circuit" - this bit is quiet back roads. Then off road to Newbald Lodge, across the road & towards Hessleskew (bridleway). You turn left as soon as you hit the road & head south, bridleway again, towards Newbald Wold. Turn right for a few metres on the road then bridleway again to Beverley road & go to North Newbald (quiet road - but don't advise riding two abreast). Through Newbald, go right & right again in the village & come out on the A1034, straight across it onto a road which becomes track to North Cliffe. Right along the road (still a B road, but some fast traffic) for a couple of km, then right again bringing you into Sancton. Right then left in Sancton, up the road back to where you turned off after coming from Newbald Lodge. This time, follow road to left, straight (more or less) across the A1079 & down towards the old railway - you have to turn right under the bridge then right up a track towards "Granny's attic" to get onto the railway. Then railway track to the bridge on Etton road, then back to Cherry Burton. The other bit I use is the bridleway from Etton Westwood to Gardham - but wouldn't go in the opposite direction!

It's not a classic off road route, but there's plenty of opportunities to cut it shorter & plenty of enjoyable off road bits as well.
    And the big plus for me is that I don't have to drive to it! So while it's not as much fun as heading to Dalby or out onto the moors, it's do-able with a few hours to spare - or even a shorter route.

Might do it tomorrow & then I'll try to work out how to post the GPX stuff!

The old railway - I've used from the Hayride in Molescroft, right up to Market Weighton. The bit from Molescroft to Cherry can be rather unused & overgrown - sometimes as can the bit from Granny's attic to Goodmanham Wold - but that just makes it more fun!

Don't think there's much more of it. But it's a good way to cover distance without highways.

Enjoy. I'll be interested to see what else you find!
  • wmark
    Hi, Now that's what I call a response, and very much appreciated. I should have started my previous response by stating that I am not a 'native', but I guess you'll have picked that up when, though living in Beverley, I did not know where the old railway station was.

I think Dalby's on for tomorrow (I promised them so have to honour that), but the information you have provided is great, as it's relatively easy from where we are (back of Bev Westwood) to get to Bishop Burton easily and safely. From my cycling days I recall most of the fun I had was the discovering routes without getting (too) lost.

Please don't put yourself to any more trouble finding the GPS, you've been more than helpful already. But thanks again, very much, and enjoy your cycling. We live in lovely part of the world, dont we.

PS, You'll know my lads if you ever cross their path, as they, like brothers tend to, will be 'diagreeing' about something or other as you pass them, deep joy|

Kind regards, Mark
  • enjoy dalby - be good even thought it's raining!
  • wmark
    Will do, lets hope forecast's not accurate.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    When I were a lad, mountain biking was in its infancy and we used to have great fun bombing round the westwood - some great short and steep downhills and lots of technical stuff. Unfortunately they went and banned bikes (kids doing something active, in the open air? we can't be having that...) so I think its officially a bike free zone now. No idea whether that particular rule is complied with though. :twisted:
  • wmark
    Hi, Thanks for response. I think the Westwood's pretty much off limits, and although i cycle through it (by road) from time to time, in truth I never really see anyone on bikes off road. Pefect location though.
  • hi wmark, pop in with the kids to my shop on beverley road. we have a few free maps for the area with all cycle routes on them. i have the beverley ones too. when you say off road, do you mean hills and stuff, or singletrack flat crosscountry riding?

we always have rides going on and can cater for any levels. nip in and we can sort some routes out for you all.
    :D
  • wmark
    Hi Thanks for response. We have been going to Dalby, but in truth it's quite a trek to be undertaking weekly, especially as we have such nice surrounding here, it's just at I don't know where to go, but it seems i may now have found the answer.

As you may have guessed I 'm not a native, but know Bev Road reasonably well. Are you the cycle shop before the bus lane (heading into town), just before the Endsley Centre and Clough Road, or the one opposite (ish) Aldi? If neither, then I obviously don't know Bev Road as well as I thought, so could you give me directions.

I'm just looking for somewhere that's safeish to ride. As kids, well certainly mine, don't seem to have that much traffic savvy, and there's a lot more traffic these days. That said perhaps I'm just being an over-protective parent.

Anyway, let me know where you are and I will certainly call in, as am due (so far) to be working in Hull a couple of days this week anyway.

Thanks again. Mark
  • i cant advertise on the site, but the shop is my user name, im after clough road, going toward the town centre. im on the corner of de grey street. just past the petrol station on the right. the address is 327a bev road.
    pop in when you can.
  • wmark
    Thanks, Will do