Mud tyres

Dazzza
Dazzza Posts: 2,364
edited November 2009 in MTB general
How do you run yours, im using bontys 1.8 back 2.0 front about 45psi back 40 front.

Im unsure what is best and i don't want an arse kicking next week. :lol:

On the upside now my excavators and telonix are off it feels a damn sight quicker. :oops: :lol:
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
Giant Anthem X

Comments

• stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Running a panaracer trailraker on the rear at about 35 psi. Good for deep mud, not so good on rocks and boardwalk :oops:
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • I use minion F+R.

Super tack up front, maxpro rear. Grippiest tryes i've ever tired and seem to shake off mud easily!
  • Dazzza
    Dazzza Posts: 2,364
    What about sizes and psi though i've always though you run wider up front to float over the mud and narrow on the back to cut though and grip.
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
    Giant Anthem X
  • moggy82
    moggy82 Posts: 726
    Thats right, im assuming your talking XC bike here as this is in general so could get responses from all users.

On the DH bike its wet scream 2.5ST front and rear at <25 PSI.

On the Xc bike i run a 2.5 SP 62A high roller on the front all year 30-40psi depending on terrain, and have 3 rear choices, for the mud its an old 2.2" 70a single ply Wet Scream, cut down a bit, huge volume so tend to run 40 or just over.
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    I'm using a 2.1 Trailracker on the front with 21 psi.

On the back a Bonty Mud X 2.0 with 23 psi.

The Trailracker has the best grip of any tyre in mud in the turn, the Mud X rolls quicker.

Just taken off a pair of 2.25 Nobby Nics and was surprised how well the new set up rolled on mixed surfaces.

Last winter I used the Trailracker on the back and a Minion 42a 2.35 on the front, had grip but was very slow.

This new mix has more grip and much quicker rolling, don't have to plough so much crud out of the way to push through.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"