Dirt jump bikes are BMX's Re invented

colintrav
colintrav Posts: 1,074
edited November 2009 in MTB general
Both used to do tricks on , both operate as single speed , both can be fitted with trick nuts

whilst Dirt jump bikes are fitted with front sus forks and bigger tyres to give that false mtb image they are still re hashed re invented bmx's

Anyone care to disagree or not ... if you say am talkin mince I suggest you look at pages 144/149 november 2009 issue

The pictorial evidence is there in the magazine ,,

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    not really there is a lot of things that cant be done on one that can be done on the other.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • colintrav wrote:
    Both used to do tricks on , both operate as single speed , both can be fitted with trick nuts

And Dirt jump bikes are fitted with front sus forks and bigger tyres

Anyone care to disagree or not ... if you say am talkin mince I suggest you look at pages 144/149 november 2009 issue

The pictorial evidence is there in the magazine ,,
    Firstly, what magazine....???? :roll:

And secondly, BMX stands (AFAIK!!!) for Bicycle-Moto-Cross, so started off as a TYPE of race, where they used 20'' wheels, for quicker turning, smaller frames and more manouverability. So, I guess technically they are DJ bikes, just with small wheels... (So long as they are being ridden on dirt!)

But, more to the point, who actually cares?

You could say all bikes with suspension are basically just mini DH bikes...!

Truth be told, I'm a bit confused.... So what exactly is your point??? Just 'cause the guys who ride them have chose to use one gear, and no suspension, because the performance is better for what they want to do...
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • colintrav wrote:
    ......whilst Dirt jump bikes are fitted with front sus forks and bigger tyres to give that false mtb image they are still re hashed re invented bmx's......
    Ok, so you edited your post, lol.

And yeah, they are just re-invented and re-hashed BMX's...

Just like XC bikes, are technically re-invented, re-hashed DH bikes, as I said previously, lol.

I still don't get what your point is though... :roll:
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    colintrav wrote:
    ......whilst Dirt jump bikes are fitted with front sus forks and bigger tyres to give that false mtb image they are still re hashed re invented bmx's......
    Ok, so you edited your post, lol.

And yeah, they are just re-invented and re-hashed BMX's...

Just like XC bikes, are technically re-invented, re-hashed DH bikes, as I said previously, lol.

I still don't get what your point is though... :roll:

but DH bikes are just rehashed road bikes.

20090818_013701_tomacXupws.jpg

to me it seems to be a bit of a post to get a response.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • _Ferret_
    _Ferret_ Posts: 660
    I think the main difference is the flexability of a dirt bike.

While some people, namely the pros, will tailor their bikes with a single gear, the majority of us would use a dirt bike for more than just dirt jumps.
    I know plenty of people who have a dirt bike that they use for normal biking aswell, they have gears, different tyres and a decent suspension fork.
    With a BMX you can't put gears on, or a sus fork, or any tyres you can use offroad (with any real success).

I'll admit they are similar to BMX jump bikes - they should be, they use the same jumps to pull the same tricks. But a dirt jump bike can be tailored to do more than just jump...
    Not really active
  • stevet1992
    stevet1992 Posts: 1,502
    do_not_feed_trolls.jpg

:lol:
    On-One 456 Sainsburys Season

Calling All SouthEastern Riders
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    They cross over in what they can do but the extremes are quite different. I don't thing DJ would be any good for flatland or vert ramp and you wouldn't want to take a bmx on ride out to some natural jumps. In any case where's the problem?
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll:
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    colintrav wrote:
    whilst Dirt jump bikes are fitted with front sus forks and bigger tyres to give that false mtb image

Er, no, they're fitted with bigger tyres and forks because it works.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • DJ bikes are for larger stuff than BMX, you wouldn't do a 20' by 30' road gap on a bmx, but I've seen people do them on dj bike.

Most people do use them for very similar stuff, but dj bikes really excel for multi-discipline use and when the terrain used is much larger.