Touring with a Specialized Sirrrus / seatpost rack?

si-griffiths
si-griffiths Posts: 8
edited November 2009 in Tour & expedition
2 questions really:
Specialized Sirrus Elite 2010 - will it cope ok with rack & paniers for light to med touring ?
(Prob about 15kg max load).
I know, I know... not really a touring bike, but I need a bit of an all rounder and will only be occasional touring use (once or twice a year, up to 50m per day) Mostly for local leisure & fitness rides about 20m, & some longer hilly rides of up to about 50 / 60 ml. Think this is what I've settled on.

Also,
Just seen the rack systems that fit directly onto the seatpost. Love the idea of the quick release, but are they any good? Worried that they might not be that stable. Also, anyone know if it would be suitable for the Specialized Sirrus Elite (27mm alloy seatpost)?
Would the post be strong enough?
Some advice & reassurance needed.
Thanks.

Comments

• MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Personally I think that an all-rounder should have rack and mudguard fittings and to knowingly buy one without is not a good idea.
    Clamp-on racks have more metal than lightweight bolt-on racks (eg Tubus Fly) so your commuting/touring weight will be higher despite the carbon stays.
    Clamp-on racks are not only heavier, they carry less weight and are less rigid.

In your quest for low weight, comfort, usability, you would be better off using metal seatstays with eyelets and a lightweight carbon seatpost.
  • Thanks, but thought the sirrus range did have rack and fender mounts?
    :?
    Do you mean you think rack & mudguards should be on the bike at point of sale?
    Not sure I want rack on all the time, but good to know about weight issues etc.
    Thanks.
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    (Prob about 15kg max load).

The clamp-on racks that I've seen usually have a weight limit of 10kgs.

If your heart's set on that bike I think p-clips would be the better option.
  • The Sirrus bikes do indeed have braze-ons for racks and fenders front and rear so no need for p-clips and the like.
    God made the Earth. The Dutch made The Netherlands

FCN 11/12 - Ocasional beardy
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    I'm not a big fan of the seatpost clamp on racks for touring either. Most that I've seen tend to spin on the seatpost with loads over 10kg so 15kg would probably be too much.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    I've used a seatpost rack with a rack bag for a 5 day tour and it worked perfectly. Weighed less than 10kg and only time I noticed it was when I was out of the saddle on hills (it felt different, but wasn't a problem once I got used to it (as with panniers and a proper rack)). But to get everything in a rack bag requires travelling VERY light so probably isn't for everyone.

Since the Sirrus has all the fixing points its got to be a proper rack IMO. A Tubus Fly if you've got plenty of cash or a Tortec Ultralite if not.
    More problems but still living....
  • harpo
    harpo Posts: 173
    Yes it will cope. See the photo in this link to see my 2008 loaded up.
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12649188

To carry that weight get a pannier rack, the 2010 elite has got the braze ons required. They even have them on the front fork if you want to get really loaded up.

Only get a seat post type one for light credit card type touring. Have a look on the carradice website if you want that type. I think the weight distributes well regards balancing the bike on this type of bag but doesn't carry much weight.

I got an altura thing that clamps on the seat post which is handy for holding some sandwiches and a jacket and tube etc but not much more. Handy for a 100 mile day leisure ride.

Get a good strong rack. Don't skrimp. The stronger the less movement and better stability, the lighter the better too but less important.
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    I would get a proper rack and panniers as any weight is carried a lot lower compared to a seat post mounted rack which has a high centre of gravity by comparison. You run the risk of a seat post rack swining around if you corner or lean to abruptly or continually.

Why not just get a waterproof handlebar bag such as an Ortieb or Vaude? You could carry a small saddle bag such as a Carradice on the back of the saddle but you'll have to travel light. Not a bad thing. Less is more as they say.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.