Bike racks.... roof or rear mounted??

13»

Comments

• Ouch! Expensive mistakes there!

Ska, agreed on the noise, my Discovery has dual sunroofs and my bikes do whistle a happy tune at 70MPH :¬)
  • ads4
    ads4 Posts: 698
    Lol, quality pics :shock:
    Adam.

Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

Current ride - Yeti ASR 5a X0
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    Ads4 wrote:
    Well I bought two sets of 591s to carry the bikes safely to Afan next week :)

Goold choice. They work well on fast estates :wink:
  • Got an ex post office van... 6 seats and easily takes 6 bikes and all the gear! Bargain too... look on ebay loads of them! :D
    I've never hurt myself falling off. It'e the damn floor that hurts!!!!
  • Hadaka
    Hadaka Posts: 68
    Ska! wrote:
    Cheers,
    Sorry for being so freaking verbose!!
    Ska!

:D Very nice post...great pic's and well written...Cheers
  • Surf-Matt
    Ska - can I ask who own that daft F150?! About as useful on UK roads as a 747.

Nasty bike splat pics - ouch.

No hitch is ever going on our main car. The other one has a detachable one but it's not exactly a bike lugger.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Raymondavalon

Dont use a tow bar mounted on on the Disco.

it creates more lift than without it at moderate speed.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • I think a "proper" bike-clamping arrangement is the most important thing. I hate the standard hatch/boot mount frames with prongs to feed your frame on to- the number of times the wheels flap and the bars scratch the paint, and/or the time it takes to attach the frame, bungy the bars static, etc. All very inconvenient. Proper bike carriers lock everything in place securely, and because they are in themselves bulky they usually attach securely to the car.

Mounting on a tow-ball would be my preference for ease of access and minimal impact on fuel consumption. However none of my cars have or have had a tow-ball so I've never tried it myself! Mates have had them, including tilting ones that allow access to the boot/hatch. All works very well.

So next best are what I've only used: roof-mounting carriers. With 2 bikes very easy to use, with the 3rd in the middle I'd need to stand on the sills to get to it. Only once did I forget they were up there, fortunately I only brushed the thinner brances of the tree I was a bout to drive under...

I bought Atera kit, but in comparison with Thule they don't seem quite as sturdy or robust.
  • Ska!
    Ska! Posts: 39
    Surf-Matt wrote:

Well, as I mentioned, I don't know the folks in these pics so as far as who owns the truck...........I have no idea. I should mention though that it's not a Ford F150 and it's definitely a Dodge pickup. I live in Canada so trucks like this (even bigger actually) are all over the place. Personally I don't own one myself but I must admit, I'm the first guy to call my buds or dad to bring theirs over when I've got big stuff to move. They're great that way!
  • Hadaka
    Hadaka Posts: 68
    So next best are what I've only used: roof-mounting carriers. With 2 bikes very easy to use, with the 3rd in the middle I'd need to stand on the sills to get to it. Only once did I forget they were up there, fortunately I only brushed the thinner brances of the tree I was a bout to drive under....

Hmmmm wonder if this is the right time to go on Dragons Den with my roof mounted bike warning sensor, simular to reversing sensor but it warns the driver when things are about to get expensive :lol:

Remember you read it here first!!!!
  • Surf-Matt
    Ska! wrote:
    Surf-Matt wrote:

Well, as I mentioned, I don't know the folks in these pics so as far as who owns the truck...........I have no idea. I should mention though that it's not a Ford F150 and it's definitely a Dodge pickup. I live in Canada so trucks like this (even bigger actually) are all over the place. Personally I don't own one myself but I must admit, I'm the first guy to call my buds or dad to bring theirs over when I've got big stuff to move. They're great that way!

Ah - you're in Canada - that's okay then. Unlike my giant truck recognition skills!
  • Ska!
    Hadaka wrote:
    Hmmmm wonder if this is the right time to go on Dragons Den with my roof mounted bike warning sensor, simular to reversing sensor but it warns the driver when things are about to get expensive :lol:

Remember you read it here first!!!!

This guy beat you to it but settled for something far simpler - pretty nice actually. http://images.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=http://www.rackvision.com/images/080923_006.JPG&imgrefurl=http://www.rackvision.com/&usg=__3StH27_hs1QvjoGYPw7wbnoJyWM=&h=450&w=600&sz=47&hl=en&start=16&um=1&itbs=1&tbnid=tj_yywLQsIn3rM:&tbnh=101&tbnw=135&prev=/images%3Fq%3Droof%2Brack%2Bmirror%26hl%3Den%26rlz%3D1R2ADBF_en%26um%3D1

Check the pic section to see how it works. The trick would be not to get desensitised to it. A pile of stuff in your parking spot can't be beat, but, that's only good at home.

LOL don't go to his review section though..........he's having some hack problems....too funny.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    I think theyre some awesome reviews on that website :lol:
  • Ska!
    Briggo wrote:
    I think theyre some awesome reviews on that website :lol:

LOL

He really should fix that...............