Grime Time makeshift neo guard

jadamson
jadamson Posts: 644
edited November 2009 in MTB general
ok so just reading through the latest issue of MBUK and they have a Grimetime of how to winter-proof your bike and so i decided to try and make a neo guard out of an old inner tube so here are a few pics of the finish product...very shabby but i hope it works :D

Front
2009-11-14212121.jpg

back
2009-11-14212140.jpg

that coupled with my Crud catcher should keep my face and body dry :D i hope :lol:

its a larger 26" inner tube that i used and i cut out little bits so i can still use the lockout and u-turn on the toras

unfortunately because of an indury i cant ride until after Christmas so cant tell you how it fairs in the mud but it compresses nicely in my garage.

Comments

• Panter
    Panter Posts: 299
    Nice job 8)

I've done my XC bike but used cable ties and it isn't as neat.
    The staple idea looks much better.
    Racing snakes. It's not big, and it's not clever ;)
  • jadamson
    jadamson Posts: 644
    thank you :D MBUK reckon cable ties but i could only find one in my garage so i tried stables and they actually go through really nicely and hold it very strong. 1 staple was enough for each flap but i went OTT with staples just in case.

any pictures of yours?
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 2,086
    Congrats. People have been doing that for the past ten years or so. Way before neoguard turned up.

Works bloody well though.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Be warned though, it can take the paint off, if you get any mud between the fork and the guard- it'll be constantly moving so even a tiny amount of friction can soon caus damage. Worth getting in there with the tape first if that sort of thing bothers you.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Kiblams
    Kiblams Posts: 2,423
    Didn't you get the memo? Neoguards are out and these are in.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Amazing the number of products that have come up just because people aren't happy to put proper, effective mudguards on their bikes... neoguards, bender fenders, Fast Fenders, every frame-mounted front mudguard ever...A whole industry catering to people who don't actually want a mudguard and aren't too bothered whether the product they fit actually works :lol: And all the time, the crown-mounted front guard manufacturers sit in the corner and get ignored while this month's new reinvention of the wheel gets the covers :wink:
    Uncompromising extremist