does my rear wheel really weigh this much?

dimmockg
dimmockg Posts: 471
edited November 2009 in MTB general
thought i'd spend some of the afternoon cleaning my bike, so whilst doing this i decided to weigh some of the parts (to give ideas of possible future weight saves). My bike is a stock 2009 Rockhopper Expert and i weight the following:

Saddle 320g
Seat post 300g
Tyres 570g
Tubes 150g
Skewers 80g
Rotors 100g
Front wheel 900g (no skewer or rota)

Now the rear wheel (still cannot get my head round it)

Overall 2400g (no skewer inc rota)

Removing all the parts i've weight makes it 1580g with only the cassette to be deducted, which reading up on line seems to be circa 365g (hg50) leaving the wheel weight of around 1215g which does seem a little high to me!!

Will certainly look to change tyres when they show signs of wear to save some weight

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Weigh it bare on good scales - will be more accurate. I'd expect 1100-1200g.
  • toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    which reading up on line seems to be circa 365g (hg50)

Where did you read that one? I'd be surprised if it were that light, the weight there will be the quoted weight, and for 11-32 I'd bet. Stick another 75g on there at least.

By which point you've got a 2100g wheelset, sounds about right for stock wheels. Much like pedals, it can be good to have a set of wheels to pass between bikes, it's one corner they always cut.
  • dimmockg
    Toasty wrote:

Where did you read that one? I'd be surprised if it were that light, the weight there will be the quoted weight, and for 11-32 I'd bet. Stick another 75g on there at least.

By which point you've got a 2100g wheelset, sounds about right for stock wheels. Much like pedals, it can be good to have a set of wheels to pass between bikes, it's one corner they always cut.

read it here: http://www.spadout.com/p/shimano-hg50-cassette/

just quite shocked at the weight of the back wheel as the front seemed reasonable at circa 900g
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    The rear will always be heavier, as SS said 1100g + is a reasonable weight.
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • supersonic
    That is fairly light for a wheelset like that! On cheaper bikes they acn be MUCH heavier! Given as a 1700g set costs around £300.
  • dimmockg
    supersonic wrote:
    That is fairly light for a wheelset like that! On cheaper bikes they acn be MUCH heavier! Given as a 1700g set costs around £300.

that puts it in context i guess, certainly no plans to change the wheels (unless the break etc), will probably do the following over time...

Tyres, Tubes, Cassette, Chainset, Chain

Should save me a decent amount of weight for the smaller outlay :wink:
  • toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    dimmockg wrote:
    Toasty wrote:

read it here: http://www.spadout.com/p/shimano-hg50-cassette/

just quite shocked at the weight of the back wheel as the front seemed reasonable at circa 900g

Well yes, as I said. That is a claimed weight, for the 11-32 tooth smaller model. Doesn't your bike have an 11-34 cassette, all of my Specialized bikes have in the past.

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/listings/components.php?type=cassettes

11-34 9-speed 406 g

As I said, 2100g is perfectly normal for stock wheels.

There are quite a few ~1600g wheelsets about, go by actual weights though, not claims. Wheels are particually bad for wild optimism. An XT 11-32 cassette will knock another 130g off as well, you'll lose your very easiest gear though.
  • I had a 2009 Rockhopper Pro. The wheels weighed 850g / 1125g (f/r) without skewers or cassette.
  • i should get some scales at home for weighing bike parts.

Got a new rear wheel across the room, and it's pretty light.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I have a spesh rear wheel, alex rim 1235g with freewheel on.....

Halo bolt through skewers, 77g/pair for just a tenner there or there abouts...

Charge spoon chro-mo 255g (my next buy probably!)

300 is hefty for a post as well, the 350mm Easton ea50 is I think 255 and the Thomson elite 204. (27.2)

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • supersonic
    The Thomson Elite 30.9 for a hopper is 243g for the 30.9x 367mm.