os maps

micksjoiner
micksjoiner Posts: 409
edited November 2009 in MTB general
never used an os map before, so iam looking for a good site that explains what all the symbols are(where can ride my bike on)thanks
hates dog walkers

Comments

• x-isle
    x-isle Posts: 794
    These links are from the Satmap site which uses OS maps.

http://www.satmap.com/pdf/explorer.pdf - 1:25K OS Symbols

http://www.satmap.com/pdf/Landranger.pdf - 1:50K OS Symbols.

Have fun!
    Craig Rogers
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    How about the OS website? They have downloadable leaflets which explain how to read them.

Also, try your local library, there's loads of books been written about map reading and outdoor navigation. There used to be a kid's book years ago called "The Map that Went for a Walk" which was absolutely superb - it took you right from the absolute basics of scales and working out grid references through to symbol recognition, contours, navigation and route planning.

Alternatively, find someone who knows about them and get them to show you the ropes - your local Ramblers group or mountaineering club would be a good place to start.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    dave_hill wrote:
    How about the OS website? They have downloadable leaflets which explain how to read them.

Also, try your local library, there's loads of books been written about map reading and outdoor navigation. There used to be a kid's book years ago called "The Map that Went for a Walk" which was absolutely superb - it took you right from the absolute basics of scales and working out grid references through to symbol recognition, contours, navigation and route planning.

Alternatively, find someone who knows about them and get them to show you the ropes - your local Ramblers group or mountaineering club would be a good place to start.

+1

Or find your local Scout Group.......
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • Bignige
    Bignige Posts: 223
    Don't forget your pacamac and woggle!!!
    Ride it like you stole it.........Yeah Baby!!!

2008 Spesh Enduro SL Expert
    2010 Fuji Roubaix 1.0 Ltd Edition
  • nonnac85
    nonnac85 Posts: 1,608
    The maps have a key on them! Just don't ride on footpaths.
    My Website - Trail Centre info for the UK: MTB Trail Time
  • x-isle
    x-isle Posts: 794
    nonnac85 wrote:
    The maps have a key on them! Just ride on footpaths and tell everyone to naff off!

Like he said! :lol:
    Craig Rogers
  • live in scotland
    can go where i want even the golf course lol
    hates dog walkers
  • scale20
    scale20 Posts: 1,300
    Exactly what is it you want to know? Are you ok with Grid references? Have you read maps before at all?
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.