Help me understand this fork issue for my sons new bike

r3 guy
r3 guy Posts: 229
edited November 2009 in MTB general
I am building a bike for my son for Christmas, he is 12 but is only a little guy. I decided to get him the smallest “proper” mountain bike I could get him, which turned out to be a trek ex5wsd (womans) or a santa cruz Juliana (womans bike).

I have opted for the santa cruz and will be building him a full xt rig with Thomson finishing kit, hope brakes etc etc. In other words a really good bike. One that he can use for a few years and then when he has grown out of it I will give it to my wife .

Anyway, my question is this – The bike can take a 100mm or 120mm fork, most of our riding is trail centres (great bonding sessions for dads and their sons by the way!) seeing as he is not that big or heavy, is there any need for a 120mm travel fork over the 100mm. I doubt he would ever bottom out the 100mm so then why get the 120mm.

I was hoping to set the fork up a bit softer for him so that the ride is a bit more plush.

Would you only ever get a larger travel fork if bottoming out was an issue, or are there any other reasons?

Can you help me understand this

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    get a 100mm air sprung fork and set the sag correctly when he is on the bike.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    nicklouse wrote:
    get a 100mm air sprung fork and set the sag correctly when he is on the bike.

That.

Also, do you want to adopt me?! :lol:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • nicklouse
    Would you only ever get a larger travel fork if bottoming out was an issue, or are there any other reasons?

not really.

bottoming out should happen once in a while.

if it happens to often the spring is too soft.

longer travel is for terrain that has more changes in the surface. in extremes. Road has no change so no travel and it feels smooth. DH has big changes so lots of travel and it feels "smooth".
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    120mm, the slacker H/A and slightly more squish will give more confidence on tech stuff, and if he's anything like me when i was 12 he wont mind the slight trade of in climing ability, although, its very slight anyway. also, 120mm looks "harder" and genneraly cooler. that may matter.
    I like bikes and stuff
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    also, 120mm looks "harder" and genneraly cooler.

this could make the differnce between being a good dad and being "uber cool" dad?? :D
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • nicklouse
    or you could be a clever Dad and but an RS Tora air with All travel then you can adjust it later.
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    VWSurfbum wrote:
    also, 120mm looks "harder" and genneraly cooler.

this could make the differnce between being a good dad and being "uber cool" dad?? :D
    ye, pretty much!
    and to nick, well, that would be perect wouldnt it!
    or a reba, cuz its alot nicer and lighter to put on a SC with hope and xt.
    I like bikes and stuff
  • Soul Boy
    Soul Boy Posts: 359
    Can't believe I'm jealous of a 12 year old :oops: