Telegraph, Galibier & d'Huez

ud03944
ud03944 Posts: 5
edited December 2009 in Tour & expedition
We're planning to ride Telegraph, Galibier and d'Huez in June 2010, in that order. I'm a little worried about the D1091 from Col du Latuaret to Le Bourg-d'Oisans. I know there are a number of fairly long tunnels and it looks like it might be a somewhat busy road.

Has anyone ridden it? Should we ride it? Anything we should know before we do it?

Thanks!

Comments

• Did Grenoble to Rome a couple of years back (early July) and went along that road. Don't remember having any problems or it being particularly busy. Even if it is busy drivers in France have very different attitudes towards cyclist, they treat you as an equal and if you’re lucky they’ll cheer you up the cols. Allez, allez…
  • Ands
    Ands Posts: 1,437
    It is a main route linking Grenoble to Briancon and into Italy and there are a fair few trucks and traffic but I can't say that in the 3 or 4 times I've done it (in the car :oops: ) that it's been very busy. (I'm guessing the motorway in the Maurienne valley takes the bulk of heavy vehicles into Italy??)

My husband has ridden the route a few times and has never complained about it. Most of the tunnels are well lit although there is one that is not well lit and you would probably be wise to wear something with a bit of reflective material, if not lights.

The road coming down off the Lauteret has been resurfaced recently and is lovely and smooth. You pass through a few villages which can slow the traffic considerably - you could end up getting stuck behind a truck! Jonny_road is right - the French motorists are generally more courteous (although don't seem to bat an eyelid about overtaking a car on a blind bend) and you would most likely find that many of the motorists in the area are also cyclists.

The great thing is that you'll be in good company as there will be loads of cyclists in the area and doing that route. June would be a bit quieter than main holiday season of July/Aug. I've been in early June and in late July/Aug and it was busier on the roads (both motor vehicles and bikes) in July/Aug. That said, the Dauphine-Libere will reportedly be passing through the area in 2nd week of June so could be quite busy. When are you going?
  • Fat Head
    Fat Head Posts: 765
    I did it on my own in the summer without lights and I was certainly willing the tunnels to end ASAP. Make sure you have LEDS on for that day.
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,851
    I've ridden it as part of La Marmotte.

It's a nice hour long decent through a gorge with impressive rock faces either side. Arrived at Bourg with a big grin on my face

Watch Russell in France ride it the other way here....

http://vimeo.com/4456616
    Half man, Half bike
  • I did it in pouring rain once with a full touring load. It was fine. Fun even.
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    It is an absolute blast! You'll love it.

Tunnels are a bit tricky (road surfaces inside tend to be a bit lumpy). LED's would be useful (to be seen).

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• Fantastic! Thanks for all the information. Really looking forward to the trip.

We're going to be there the week of June 19, so I think we'll miss the Dauphine by about a week.
  • Ands
    Ands Posts: 1,437
    Shame you'll miss the Dauphine - finish up Alpe d'Huez on the penultimate stage next year - can't wait.

Have a great trip.
  • I did the exact same ride last year. Ended up doing it on my own as my mate wasn't up to it. I really enjoyed it but I would agree with the advice on getting LED light on the rear for visibility as I did feel quite vulnerable in the tunnels.

Also, don't forget to remove or reposition your sunglasses before you enter the tunnel so it doesn't get too dark to see when you first enter the tunnel. I found this manouvre took some practice while decending at 30mph+ and just about got the hang of it by the last tunnel.
  • nottscobb wrote:
    Also, don't forget to remove or reposition your sunglasses before you enter the tunnel so it doesn't get too dark to see when you first enter the tunnel. I found this manouvre took some practice while decending at 30mph+ and just about got the hang of it by the last tunnel.

I'll add that to the training plan! Glad to know the tunnels are lit. We've got some in our area that aren't, talk about scary.
  • bahzob
    bahzob Posts: 2,195
    Its a great descent that goes on for near an hour. As mentioned the tunnels are a bit of a pain. They are lit but not especially well. Keep away from road edge as gutters are a bit of a trap. Also watch out for the village half way down, its got the worst section of road on the whole descent.
    Martin S. Newbury RC
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    bahzob wrote:
    Its a great descent that goes on for near an hour. As mentioned the tunnels are a bit of a pain. They are lit but not especially well. Keep away from road edge as gutters are a bit of a trap. Also watch out for the village half way down, its got the worst section of road on the whole descent.

If you mean La Grave, since you'll need to brake for the first time in ages when you get there, I'd recommend you go the whole hog, stop, dismount, go to the Hotel Edelweiss and have lunch there. The view from the terrace (see below) is sublime and the Tour teams eat there when training. Run by anglophones, too.

lagrave.JPG

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• from galibier/lauteret toward alpe d'huez is ok even if not pleasant, as you are descending and going at a reasonable speed; i would not like to be going uphill though. best to have some lights as they are poorly lit and if you are in France you will probably have a reflective jacket as you are supposed to wear them in the dark or in bad visibility outside of towns (there are threads about this here and elsewhere).
    i found the road quiet in september but it is likely to be busy in august
  • The hairs on the back of my neck go up just thinking about it. the most fun I've had... on a bike.

I did ti as part of La Marmotte too.
    http://twitter.com/mgalex
    www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business
  • The hairs on the back of my neck go up just thinking about it. the most fun I've had... on a bike.
    http://twitter.com/mgalex
    www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business
  • blorg
    blorg Posts: 1,169
    I've done it a few times now, in both directions. It's fine. The tunnels are an absolute blast descending, they are inclined themselves so you are flying through them very fast indeed with the lights zipping past you, it's like being in a video game. Fantastic descent that just goes on and on (bit of a bump before Bourg but not much.)
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I think the tunnels are the last thing to worry about - its the climbing that scares me ! I've not done the full route in one go - but have done it in bits - and would second the thing about sunglasses - I had mine on glasses holders so i could just drop them off.

LEDs are probably a sensible idea now I think about it - I was too busy having fun though.

Traffic seemed fine to me.
  • blorg
    blorg Posts: 1,169
    It will certainly be a tough ride, Telegraph Galibier and the Alpe is basically the Marmotte course without the Glandon. 2/3 the Marmotte I'd reckon. I presume you are starting in St-Michel-de-Maurienne and finishing in Alpe d'Huez and have someone to shuttle between the two points?
  • berliner
    berliner Posts: 340
    A few big drops- don't look down