Routes in the Peak District...

Jeast
Jeast Posts: 176
edited November 2009 in Routes
Can anyone recommend a good one? Fancy a change from Gisburn and Dalby.

Ta. :D

Comments

• ratty2k
    ratty2k Posts: 3,872
    Ladybower has some classic stuff, well worth a look.
    http://www.flattyresmtbroutes.com/LadybowerloopII.html
    We dpont turn left to Hope (pt 5) we go straight on through the gate and then up a nadgery climb to another gate and a crossroads. This is where you can go either of two ways, straight on takes you down Blackley Hey a long fast rocky descent or go right and to the beast.
    If Blackley, once at the bottom, follow the road to the right and cross over Snake Road, straight on up a steep road climb which will bring you to a gate- straight on to another gate on your left, go through there and follow the trail and pass Lockerbrook farm, through another gate and this is the last descent of the ride, a fantastic fast one down to the Res., once back on thee road, turn right and follow back to the VC.
    If you decide on the Beast, turn right and down the Beast, cross the river at the bottom (Wooden bridge) steep climb back up to Snake road, cross and go up the road opposite. This turns to a rocky track, keep following and this will bring you to the gate just before Lockerbrook farm, the rest is then the same...
    My Pics !

Whadda ya mean I dont believe in god?
    I talk to him everyday....
  • Where to start! To be honest I think I have ridden most Peak routes over the last 6 months and thought they have all been brilliant. Best for me though have been the classic Ladybower Loop and most recently Cut Gate, though I wouldn't recommend Gut Gate this weekend following the downpour that has happened, it gets a little bit wet on top!

Take a look here; http://www.gpsies.com/mapUser.do?username=mbrmagazine - shows a load of peak district routes viewable online and in gps format.

Hope this helps :)
  • CycloRos
    CycloRos Posts: 579
    Hope/Castleton makes a great base to start from, the routes on offer are numerous and varied.

I'd agree with the warning about the state of some trails following the recent rains. We did a loop round Stoney Middleton and Longstone Moor last weekend, it was ace but very, very wet.
    Felt a bit guilty about the affect I was having on some sections of trail.
    Current Rides -
    Charge Cooker, Ragley mmmBop, Haro Mary SS 29er
    Pics!
  • ratty2k wrote:
    Ladybower has some classic stuff, well worth a look.
    http://www.flattyresmtbroutes.com/LadybowerloopII.html

+1

awesome route, very challenging and technically demanding throughout, but well wothwhile
  • Jeast
    Thanks guys. I'll give the ladybower route a try I think! Looks awesome!

LoUiS1985 - Just had a quick look at the pics on your signature link...where are you in the pictures overlooking a lake in the distance? Looks amazing!
  • Jeast wrote:
    Thanks guys. I'll give the ladybower route a try I think! Looks awesome!

LoUiS1985 - Just had a quick look at the pics on your signature link...where are you in the pictures overlooking a lake in the distance? Looks amazing!

Well the first pics in my sig where i'm on top of a mountain are on the summit of Helvellyn, Lake District. The last pictures were there's a reservoir at from Capel Curig, North Wales.

I wrote a post about Helvellyn a bit ago, have a look here mate:

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... highlight=
  • Jeast
    Well we did 18.5 miles today up at Ladybower. No idea what route we did, because someone forgot to print of the map and instructions (me!)! Loved it though, cracking day...much harder than expected!
  • Glad you enjoyed it, there is a whole host of routes available to you in the peaks! Good effort to manage to navigate without a map though, first time I went got very lost in the first hour or so of the ride, and that was with a map! Don't think it helped going the wrong way to start....... :oops:
  • andituk
    andituk Posts: 122
    I was at Ladybower yesterday too, some fantastic riding to be done, and great fun conditions :D

4106677568_1849d7e30a.jpg

The descent down from Lockerbrook to Gores Farm was brilliantly slithery :D

There's a book called Dark Peak Mountain Biking that has some great routes to try in.
  • ratty2k
    Almost everyone takes a pic of their bike leaning on that post!
    The Beast on Ladybower loop
    4022364051_dd2526f7a3_b.jpg

My Reign and ibbo on his Enduro at 'that' post
    3316296581_47370c579f_b.jpg
    My Pics !

• I love the ladybower loop, one of my fav's! what's the riding conditions like ATM? i've not been for a while!

just a shame you need a whole new drivetrain after a ride or two in the peaks?! :? :wink:
  • andituk
    andituk Posts: 122
    Very wet and slithery :D

Open moorland and field bits are very boggy, but the descent down to the start of lockerbrook was fantastic fun, sliding all over the place :lol::lol:
  • ratty2k
    LoUiS1985 wrote:
    I love the ladybower loop, one of my fav's! what's the riding conditions like ATM? i've not been for a while!

just a shame you need a whole new drivetrain after a ride or two in the peaks?! :? :wink:

As stated it will be wet and slippery there at the moment. Some places are suffering form erosin (back of Whinstone Lee Torr springs to mind)
    As for the drivetrain, maybe not quite that bad... I'm on my second cassette and 4th chain over the last 12 months... winter bike is now on duty tho... :)
    My Pics !