tyre advise for winter

kangaroo
kangaroo Posts: 1,199
edited December 2009 in MTB general
er. which tyre out of maxxis rendez and maxxis medusa would be best on the front of my bike for winter riding. i ask between these two as i already have them
both tyres are 2.1
what are brakes for again

Comments

• Alex
    Alex Posts: 2,086
    For what you're going to ride, the rendez. The Medusa is a bit "extreme mud" for XC. It'll drag like there's no tomorrow.
  • BOYDIE
    BOYDIE Posts: 528
    My friend rides all winter on Medusa's,they are light enough in the folding bead to offset any drag.I myself use either Bontrager Mud X or Specialized Storm pro's,both great tyres,Ill get what ever is cheaper at the time,both come in 2.0 size but they come up small at 1.95ish.

The storm is a faster tyre in a straight line,but the Bonty grips better in the corners.Personal choice really,and this is just MHO.
  • kangaroo
    kangaroo Posts: 1,199
    ok i went to put both my medusa's onto my bike when i saw how thin the back one looked. so i bought a ignitor for the front (the spikey look to it made me think it would be good for winter)
    i got the 2.35 lust version and its great, really grippy, i think more grippy than my eskars.
    the medusa on the back though, was a tad disappointing in anything but thick gloopy mud, it would even spin out on grassy type climbs. not what i expected from such a spiky tyre

so has anyone tried a ignitor on the rear and what did you think of it.
    or any other ideas for a rear tyre
    what are brakes for again
  • I'm using Ignitors front and rear on my XC hardtail. They work just fine in all but deep mud/clay soil types. Round here it's pretty sandy, so ideal. Maxxis come up pretty skinny so go a size up from what you'd usually have.
  • Just like to say I have run Panaracer UST Trailrakers for 4 winters now and the tread is still huge. Not even 1/4 worn. That's serious value.

Alao running a 2.1 Nevegal or 2.3 Ignitor for a bit more of a surefooted feeling at times.