JE James

PresumingEd
PresumingEd Posts: 82
edited November 2009 in MTB general
Has anyone got any experience of using the above site? If so, are they any good?

Comments

• toontra
    toontra Posts: 1,160
    Yes, very good. Used them for years - they are very cheap for many things. Returns no problem either.

a serious case of small cogs
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    Only used them for a couple of things, but IIRC they delivered quickly and I didn't have any problems.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    My local shop. No probs.
  • canada16
    canada16 Posts: 2,360
    Bought a helmet and the strap came undone from the lid, returned and exchanged no probs.
  • dsmiff
    dsmiff Posts: 741
    They occassionally have issues with stock availabity on the website, however I still rate them.
    http://www.youtube.com/dnsmiff
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    see here. Personally I wouldn't use them because they seem to advertise items they don't have (seems like they may order after you do), and their website constantly comes up top in Google Shopping because they advertise unconvincingly cheap prices, but for things they don't have. Other than that, I am sure they are perfect.
  • i'm not so sure of that, i've just got 64 sapim cx-ray spokes for £108 which is a massive bargin!

Dispatched and should be here tomorrow
  • Well I hope most of you are right and Alphablue is wrong as I've taken the plunge and ordered some lights from them. The stock issue is a bit of a concern, though, as the reason I'm going with them is they are the only site that says they have a stock of Vision 2s
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Well I hope most of you are right and Alphablue is wrong as I've taken the plunge and ordered some lights from them. The stock issue is a bit of a concern, though, as the reason I'm going with them is they are the only site that says they have a stock of Vision 2s
    Hopefully I'm wrong, I just get so annoyed when shops mess up on my time-critical cycling bits orders that I tend to pay a little more and buy from trusted sources.

I hope I'm wrong about this too, but £150 for a 300 lumens / 1.45hr runtime light is not the best bang per buck these days. Light of choice seems to be this one, discussed in the What Lights thread. More performance for about £50.
  • Tried to use them once so far- after 4 days was told the item was out of stock. Which was a bit slow really- I'd still give them another chance if a bargain came along though.
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3
  • My LBS too!

I've never used them online, but I frequent the shop, and always had good service. They always price-match too! :D
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Marin
    SS Inbred
    Mongoose Teocali Super
  • Rich9
    Rich9 Posts: 1,635
    My not so LBS, but I do call in to the one in Rotherham when i'm passing. have bought a few bits from them and they do seem 'well priced' and offer good advice IMO

My bread knife works in Rotherham and bought most of my Christmas presents from there last year :D
    2014 Whyte T-129S
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    My LBS both Rotherham and Sheffield and i've spent £1000s over the last few years and will not give them any more of my cash again.Dire service,not in the sales but after-sales and workshop.Worse customer service i've ever come across.Stopped using Rotherham 18 months ago,loads of promises when i spent £2k on a bike from Sheffield,same sub-standard crap.They had my rear wheel 5 weeks to fit a new(allegedly)free hub which promptly fell to bits 2 rides in and nearly f****d up a riding trip to the Lakes.That's just one in a list about 2 pages long of errors the workshop has made.
    Oh and i've been using the for 10/12 years and they have never once price-matched.
  • admittedly, it has taken 2 months for me to get the spokes, but these are for new wheels so not a huge issue, 3 weeks of the delay was my fault, the rest theirs.

They are pretty awful at sending messages back. Plus my tracking number doesn't work

:evil:
  • I tried to use them once, but having asked a question using their on-line e-mail section I did not receive a reply, so bought elsewhere. I accept that these things happen and technology can break down, but did not want to risk parting with my readies.
    Ridley Orion
  • update: tracking number now works...
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    I once ordered a helmet from them that was "in stock" turned out it wasn't but this was after 1 week and after I had to contact them. They were pleasant to talk to but I do think they should've told me earlier and Im not sure they would've told me unless I asked.

Put the order through, give them time to process it and give them an e-mail to check they actually have it in stock or ring them up before hand.
  • Used them a few months back to order some Jagwire Tube Tops, they sent the wrong ones. Sent them back recorded delivery as they said they had what I actually asked for in stock. Got the money for the tube tops but not postage then turns out they didn't actually have what I ordered in stock in the first place. Won't be rushing to use them again.
  • The Sheffield branch is my LBS and I've not had any problems. However I know several more serious riders who aren't their biggest fans mainly because some of the staff can come across as "know it alls".

They're Facebook page appears to be updated frequently and therefore may be a more reliable method of getting in touch, for those who struggle to get email replies.
  • My LBS too!

I've never used them online, but I frequent the shop, and always had good service. They always price-match too! :D

Im in Sheffield too and have an 06 Rocky Ridge!

To OP, iv had no problems with them when shopping in store and prices do seem competative.
  • They are my local bike shop and I can't fault them for the in shop service, never used the mail order so can't really comment.

They have always price matched, given 10% or a better price for me all the time. Especially when I got a set of Hope Vision 4's for £214.
  • Well my lights turned up yesterday; after just 5 working days, which is not bad considering i went for the free delivery option. So therefore I must say that my first experience of using JE James is a good one.

Now I can't wait until tomorrow night to test them out!
  • e999sam
    e999sam Posts: 426
    They usually price match other shops although they do add on the postage.
  • Been using the Chesterfield branch for years and i ended up getting my last bike from the Rotherham branch. No complaints from me, staff seem friendly enough and know what they're talking about. I guess it depends who you talk to though, obviously some staff will be more informed than others.
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    Must be then.
    £5k spent on bikes over the last couple of years-discount £0.Not even a free shock pump which is pretty much standard when buying a full suss.When the bike went in for its free service it came back with the gears not shiftingI was told it was the best they could do.When the fork wanted warranty repairs it was re-installed wrong and that's just this bike,the after sales service on the old bike was much worse.As stated earlier i could write a list as long as this page on the errors/bad service i've received over the years.
    I'm interested in buying a new Enduro at a cost of £3k but want different brakes and fork from stock.JEjames will not deal on it.Id have to buy the bike then spend over a grand on the other stuff and sell the stock stuff on.Asked at Keswick bikes and they agreed to a deal straight away.It might be a 260 mile round trip but i know where my money will be going.