rockshox remote control or not.

rhann
rhann Posts: 383
edited November 2009 in MTB general
is it worth getting a remote for rockshox tora 302's, is it a cheap upgrade afterwards or at the time of purchase is there much in it and is it going to make much difference.

Comments

• pdid
    pdid Posts: 1,065
    I wouldn`t bother, it`s just one more thing to smash your knees on when you have an off.
  • El Capitano
    El Capitano Posts: 6,401
    IIRC, it can be quite an expensive upgrade afterwards. If you can get it for a slight increase of price over the forks without, then I'd go for it.

Oh and if you're worried about hitting your knee on it, do like I've done and fit it upside down, so you only have the clamp under the bar (hitting my knee wasn't the reason I fitted mine this way, I was a compatibiity issue with XTR shifters and Elixar brakes)
  • rhann
    how much is the upgrade after can get it for about £15-20 more
  • rhann
    also can they be used on the move?
  • pdid
    pdid Posts: 1,065
    Yeah they can be used on the move. I`d phone either your LBS or someone like TFtuned to get the price of the upgrade.
  • rhann
    looks like a £50 upgrade after
  • biff55
    biff55 Posts: 1,404
    from what i've seen on crc , wiggle etc. the remotes are a good 50-60 quid bought
    separately.
    and dont think its advised to use them on the go.
    just something else to go wrong really.
  • rhann
    if its not advised to use them on the go whats the point of having the remote, bar the bending down to change the lockout. seems to defeat the object, at least to me.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    rhann
    so which Tora 302 do you have?

the blue knob on the right leg is it a spring loaded one or a friction one?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • rhann
    at the moment i dont, i'm thinking about buying one.
  • nicklouse
    so what is there on the top of the fork?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • rhann
    i dont have a rockshox fork i have the option of buying either one with or without the remote, the pic on the one without has by the looks of it a blue lever.
  • nicklouse
    get one with the pop lock included.
  • I wouldn't bother if I were you. I have the remote on my Reba SL and hardly use it now (only if I really have to go on roads etc.). Plus there's the 'joy' of when you smack your knee off the thing.... :cry:

Best to get the set up sorted as well as you can so you don't really need any lockout.

I'm actually considering ditching the remote when it next goes for a service at Tim Flooks.

It'd be good if you could have a go one someone else's bike to try it out.

Kai
  • cheapest I've found - but to be honest i'm not going to bother with them for my recons - running out of bar space! :D

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Rock-Shox-Poploc- ... 4a9bf0ce51
    Falcon Sierra - 80's
    Muddy Fox Courier - 80's
    GT Palomar 90's
    GT Zaskar LE - 90's
    Cannondale k v 900 90's
    Santa Cruz Bullit - now
    Orange Evo 8 STOLEN 26/09/10
    Orange P7 Pro
    Lots of kites.
  • nicklouse
    jonnyc2420
    not what the OP is asking.

it is if the OP should buy a fork with or without the sprung compression stack for use with a pop/pushloc/poplock adjustable lever