My Awesome new (£10) bike!

cat_with_no_tail
cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
edited November 2009 in Your mountain bikes
Yes, that's right, TEN WHOLE ENGLISH POUNDS!!
:shock:

Morrison Sidewinder 1986-88.
Absolutely amazing condition actually, pretty much as new (very dusty though).
Not a spot of rust anywhere on it.
Cables are stiff, need greasing, maybe replacing.
Tyres are flat, tubes seem ok, but I'll but new ones in just to be sure.
Also, note the speedo, none of your fancypants digital nonsense, that's analouge baby :lol:
For a 20 yr old bike, i'm quite simply amazed. Been sat in the current owners loft for years, they only found it because they are doing a conversion.

Gonna be used for commuting, saves the tyres on the commie. Pick her up at the weekend :D Money well spent Imho

You love it and you know you do. Retro to the max! :lol:

Morrison2.jpg

Morrison1.jpg

Morrison3.jpg

Morrison5.jpg

Morrison4.jpg

Comments

• jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    should have been free :roll:
  • saltyman
    saltyman Posts: 472
    :shock: stick it in a museum :lol:

will be a nice bike, shame it aint a rare retro though.
    roberts dogs bolx
    cannondale hooligan 1
    cannondale badboy
  • Morrison3.jpg
    Dude, is that an ANOLGUE speedo...?

Total awesomeness, if it is!

Pure, epic, WIN!!!!
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • :D Analogue it most certainly is.

I was considering taking it off, but it's such an awesome piece of kit, I think it's going to have to stay.

I'm almost as excited about getting my hands on this bike as I was about the commie. :lol:
  • ramemtbers
    ramemtbers Posts: 1,562
    different
  • mellex
    mellex Posts: 214
    8)

Now that is what I'm talkin' bout!

Those clips have got to go though. Deadly!!
  • ramemtbers
    toe clips ehh. atleast he wont get shin digs with them plastic bad boys. :lol:
  • El Capitano
    El Capitano Posts: 6,401
    That's awesome.
    :D
    Wouldn't want to do an serious braking with those brakes though...
  • ramemtbers
    i bet he could nose manual further than any of us on that beast :lol:
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Had an analogue speedo on a bike of mine in the past and was dead chuffed when I maxed it out at 37mph. Tried the same stretch of road recently and failed to match it by 5mph :oops:
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • rhann
    rhann Posts: 383
    redvee wrote:
    Had an analogue speedo on a bike of mine in the past and was dead chuffed when I maxed it out at 37mph. Tried the same stretch of road recently and failed to match it by 5mph :oops:
    justr adjust the speedo....
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    awesome! :D
  • That's an awesome buy for a tenner! bet those brakes are 'interesting' in this lovely wet weather though!
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • That's an awesome buy for a tenner! bet those brakes are 'interesting' in this lovely wet weather though!

Wait until you see the hill I have to go down on the way to work. With a busy crossroads right at the bottom :lol:
    Gonna be even more interesting when it starts snowing :shock:

Look out for CWNT, coming to "faces of death" soon!
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Nice! Those brake levers remind me of the ones on my sisters old bike that got smashed when I ploughed the bike into a 2 foot deep mudbath!
    SIS shifters and anologue speedo ftw!
  • £10 you was ripped off i have been given better bikes although i do like the speedo
  • I'd be proud to have that as my commuter! Loving the speedo
  • Picked her up today in all her glory.
    Gave her a dust down and a quick polish, I'm thoroughly amazed at what condition it's in, it's almost a new bike.
    Re-greased the hubs and headset, took the speedo apart and got that working again, changed the old inndertubes for some new conti ones.

The brakes need some attention, very stiff and sticky. Going to take the cables off and grease them up, if that dosent help, I'll stick some new cables on. Might have to splash out on some new brake handles though, those plastic ones are truly awful.
  • That bike's certainly been around. It was made by Morrison Industries in Hastings, NZ beginning in 1983 and how'd it end up in England?

According to the book:
    http://books.google.com/books?id=2D3Grb ... es&f=false

It cost $390 new in 1983 so you've done well!
    Lapierre Zesty 514 - 2010
  • Interesting stuff dynastarg9 thanks for that.

I think mine is a later model from around '86-'87 as it's got 12 speed sis gears. Also, I think the earlier models used BMX style bars. I have no idea how it got here from NZ, I had just assumed that Morrison had sold some bikes here at some point.

From my own research, it seems that Morrison industries LTD manufactured bikes under license from Raleigh UK and they were bought by the Masport Group in 1987. It's possible that Raleigh bought a boat load of Morrison bikes (as they were almost identical to their own designs) which they then sold on to the UK market.

It's still got those god awful side pull brakes though, with flexy plastic levers. I think I'm going to go all out and replace the brakes with some new Deore V-brakes.
    :oops: