Has GT made a Titanium Zaskar??

max丨mo
max丨mo Posts: 177
edited March 2011 in MTB general
Just had a text message from a friend of a friend offering me a "£2500 titanium gt zaskar immaculate" for £400! But I didn't think there was such a thing...

Has GT made a titanium zaskar before? or any titanium MTB?

Think Sonic may know this one... :D

Comments

• Supersonic is your man for all things GT and Zaskar related!
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • max丨mo
    Found a GT Xizang frame which is Ti, I'll ask the guy for more information but don't have his number just yet. Sounds too good to be true. If its a Carbon Zaskar then I'll bite his hand clean off.
  • As far as I am aware, the Xizang is the only Ti frame they made. But they ceased production a while back, if you can get your hands on one fair play mate!

Be prepared to still pay a fair bit for one though!
  • moggy82
    moggy82 Posts: 726
    As far as I am aware, the Xizang is the only Ti frame they made. But they ceased production a while back, if you can get your hands on one fair play mate!

Be prepared to still pay a fair bit for one though!

Correct, Zaskar was always there top end ally frame, really good frames, used one as a jump bike 2000-2003 really good bike, ans super light.

Xizang is their Ti offering
  • gers84
    gers84 Posts: 32
    Correct me if i'm wrong but i think GT did have a zaskar in a titanium colour,
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    GT made two titanium frames, the Xizang, and the Lightning. The latter was painted grey, the former polished Ti (but a later version had Team colours)and weighed about 3.2lbs for the 16 inch frame. Litespeed USA made them for GT for most of the 90s, the Lightning was a Taiwan made frame.

xizang.jpg

Be wary of some steel frames that I have seen being sold as Xizangs!
  • max丨mo
    Thanks for the quick response.. I will try to find out more information on this "deal" and keep you posted..
  • Hate to deflate your Supersonic bubble...The GT Lightning Ti frames were never painted grey, they were in fact a natural bead blasted Ti finish. Produced in Taiwan out of US Sandvik 3/2.5 tubing in 1997 and 1998. They were only offered as a complete bike with midlevel spec as GT's international distributors were seeking a Ti GT at a lower price point.
    97-98 were the years for Ti, this was the pre carbon and at the time almost every companies top of the line models were Ti. Litespeed never ever produced a bike for GT. Think maybe you should check out this interview with Bill Duehring. GT's VP of Product development at the time these bikes were produced

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/?p=1501
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Thankyou for the update and link. The ebay 'rumour' stretches much further back, I was told in the 90s about Litespeed - and the frame has at least 5 number prefixes which good suggest even more manufacturers. But maybe they were never involved.