Alligator Ti-Nitride, Gold Rotors whats your view?

mrsavory
mrsavory Posts: 38
edited November 2009 in MTB general
whats yoru view on thease i've heard good and bad reports about
them?

Comments

• Salsa
    Salsa Posts: 753
    I run them & they work great, didn't get the coated ones though as they look a bit tacky & supposedly the finish wears off quickly anyway.
  • i am tempted to get thease for my next project they look bad ass in the pictures
    cheers for the info
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    I can't say that I like the sound of titanium nitride coated discs!

It's very hard-wearing and low friction - hence it is used to coat fork stanchions (that's the greeny-gold colour) and it is also used on drill bits and other cutting tools.

I can understand th ehard wearing bit but why try to reduce the co-efficient of friction on a disc?
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • To be fair, the contact area between the pads is small, so the pressure is great. It doesn't matter so much that Ti-Nitride is slick - the pressure the pads apply is more than enough. If it wasn't, they wouldn't sell many then, would they...!

:wink:

Also, as Salsa mentioned, the area that the pads touch wears off quickly anyway, but the rest of the disc is still left coated.

Might be worth a blast! Mind, they aint expensive...

One last thing, if you are that worried, install the discs, and before you go out, turn your bike up-side down, and spin the wheels, rubbing the contact area with some emery cloth / fine-ish glass paper to rub the coated surface off a bit. Not that you'll need to - if they didn't work well, no-one would buy them!
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • dave_hill
    Also, as Salsa mentioned, the area that the pads touch wears off quickly anyway, but the rest of the disc is still left coated.

One last thing, if you are that worried, install the discs, and before you go out, turn your bike up-side down, and spin the wheels, rubbing the contact area with some emery cloth / fine-ish glass paper to rub the coated surface off a bit.

So what's the point then? What performance advantage does it offer?
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • dave_hill wrote:

One last thing, if you are that worried, install the discs, and before you go out, turn your bike up-side down, and spin the wheels, rubbing the contact area with some emery cloth / fine-ish glass paper to rub the coated surface off a bit.

The same performance advantage as gold hubs over black, gold QR skewers over black and pretty much any other colour coded product. It's a cosmetic improvement, not a performance one.

Edit: Actually, I see that they do mention something about being lightweight.
  • i keep looking at these mainly because they are cheaper than std discs ie hope. and also a fair chjunk lighter!
    the cirus ones are the newer of the designs iirc.
    nearly bought the gold ones for ythe carbon bike as every little bit of bling helps!! 8)
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • dave_hill wrote:

Well, this might sound a bit like I abuse my bike, but if the rotor (apart from the contact area) is Ti-Ni coated, it's harder for it to rust / corrode.

Also, as mentioned, they are VERY light, compared to OEM discs, much cheaper, and the rest of the disc (apart from the pad-contact area, remember) will remain gold-y / brown-y for a loooong time.

Enough reasons to buy an Alligator disc? :wink:
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    hang on. If it's proper Ti Nitride, there's no way in hell you could take it off with an emery cloth, and definitely no way your brake discs would wear the "coating" off.
    Sounds like those cheap drill bits on QVC et al, where you get a set of 100 "quality titanium tipped drill bits" for a fiver :?
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill wrote:
    Well, this might sound a bit like I abuse my bike, but if the rotor (apart from the contact area) is Ti-Ni coated, it's harder for it to rust / corrode.

Fail.

When was the last time you saw a stainless steel disc rusting or otherwise corroding? The clue's in the name...
    Also, as mentioned, they are VERY light, compared to OEM discs, much cheaper, and the rest of the disc (apart from the pad-contact area, remember) will remain gold-y / brown-y for a loooong time.

Enough reasons to buy an Alligator disc? :wink:

No, not at all. Still don't see the point - if they're that much lighter AND cheaper AND (allegedly) ti-nitrided, then that immediately raises my suspicions.
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • its the aries not the cirrus as i thought! lol! seems the aries is the ti coated version and the cirrus is the stainless one!
    linky here to home ppage
    http://www.alligatorcables.com/home1.htm

102g for 180mm rotor,(in either stainless or ti)
    from wehat i have seen and heard they are very good rotors and the benefit is that they are cheaper than std oem ones, typically £17 for a 180 in ti coating and 15 for a std compared to hopes at £22 ish

their std normal looking rotor is 185g for a 185 mm so they are 80g a rotor lighter there!
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    dave_hill wrote:
    When was the last time you saw a stainless steel disc rusting or otherwise corroding? The clue's in the name...
    FAIL

Many grades of stainless will develop a rusty surface (T304 for example) but the rust will never go deep enough to significantly effect the mechanical integrity.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    There's no way these are titanium nitride coated for that price. Titanium COLOURED anodizing, maybe.
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill wrote:
    FAIL

Many grades of stainless will develop a rusty surface (T304 for example) but the rust will never go deep enough to significantly effect the mechanical integrity.

Simon

DOUBLE FAIL TIMES A MILLION AND NO RETURNS!!!!

I didn't say that all grades of stainless steel don't rust. I asked when was the last time you saw a rusted stainless brake disc?
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic