22 teams for next year Tour

2»

Comments

• sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203
    I just said this in another thread but I hope Vacansoleil get in, they are always good value, attacking and entertaining, especailly when Hoogerland is there. Great to watch and he really mixes it up. Their showing at Qatar should help, here's hoping they continue the form and get an invite.
    Also I very much agree with Xacobeo and Ezequiel Mosquera, great to watch again but he does diddly outside of Spain sadly.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Sonny73 wrote:
    I just said this in another thread but I hope Vacansoleil get in, they are always good value, attacking and entertaining, especailly when Hoogerland is there. Great to watch and he really mixes it up. Their showing at Qatar should help, here's hoping they continue the form and get an invite.
    Also I very much agree with Xacobeo and Ezequiel Mosquera, great to watch again but he does diddly outside of Spain sadly.

He was supposed to ride the Giro last year but did his collarbone in the Spring. Hopefully Xacobeo will get another invite this year to give him another chance.
  • Aren't Vaconsoleil shoe ins? With the way they have performed and the Feillu's on board I thought they were virtually sewn up.
  • Vacansoleil, Skil and Saur-Sojason to miss out for me.

That will be a bit harsh on Vacansoleil but the other six teams hunting the wildcards all have more to offer the ASO.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Vacansoleil, Skil and Saur-Sojason to miss out for me.

That will be a bit harsh on Vacansoleil but the other six teams hunting the wildcards all have more to offer the ASO.

Even Katusha? If Katusha miss out, that still leaves one spot for Vacansoleil. Katusha have McEwen and Pozzato, but they have a pretty dodgy rep and I read something last year that suggested ASO were pretty mortified when Ivanov won a stage.
  • Aren't Vaconsoleil shoe ins? With the way they have performed and the Feillu's on board I thought they were virtually sewn up.

They would definitely be in there if it wasn't for the ASO's 2008 agreement which guaranteed the Pro Tour teams at the time a ride in the 2009 and 2010 Tour de France races.

Which team out of Shack, Sky, Garmin, Katusha, Cervelo and BMC can you see ASO leaving out to accomodate Vacansoleil?
  • afx237vi wrote:
    Vacansoleil, Skil and Saur-Sojason to miss out for me.

Even Katusha? If Katusha miss out, that still leaves one spot for Vacansoleil. Katusha have McEwen and Pozzato, but they have a pretty dodgy rep and I read something last year that suggested ASO were pretty mortified when Ivanov won a stage.

The size of the Russian market must be attractive to the ASO even though none of their most prominent riders for the Tour share the same nationality. Ivanov's win must have been good for business I would have thought.

I would agree with you that if any of the six bigger teams are vulnerable then it would have to be Katusha. Another scandal or a brilliant performance at Paris-Nice by Hoogerland or B. Feillu might tip the balance in Vacansoleil's favour.
  • sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203
    afx237vi wrote:
    Sonny73 wrote:

He was supposed to ride the Giro last year but did his collarbone in the Spring. Hopefully Xacobeo will get another invite this year to give him another chance.

I didn't know that, fair play to the bloke in that case and I take back my no show outside of Spain comment. Also I hope your right, it'd be cracking to see him having a pop on the monster hills in this years Giro without a doubt.