RPCC CCC - Sat 14th Nov.

Rich-Ti
Rich-Ti Posts: 1,831
Right, CCC this Saturday then - that's Capital-Coast-Capital for those unitiated in the beloved RPCC favourite...

Discussion had begun on this over on this thread but I thought I'd separate it out and kick it off here so that we can keep a proper eye on numbers.

The ride takes us on 130 round trip from Richmond Gate. We start with a southern leg west of the A24 down to Worthing where we stop at a particularly nice cafe called Parklife before heading along the coast to Shoreham Airport where we begin the journey north again, this time to the east of the A24 - you'll find a link to the route below. For anyone concerned about not lasting the full distance there's bail-out options along the route which include train from Worthing (after about 60 miles) / Shoreham (about 68 miles) / Brighton (which we don't pass through but is easy enough to get to, and you'll have hit about 75 miles by then) once we've hit the coast, and one about half way back at Faygate (probably around 95 miles I think). For the full distance plus cafe stop you should expect to be out for about 9hrs, but we might be a bit quicker (actual ride time last time out was a little over 7hrs from memory).

PLEASE bring gels / snacks / haribo to keep you going, and I'd advise on energy drink in your bottle. You will get a chance to refill your water bottles at Parklife - they're very happy to help out.

I think the unsigned agreement was a 7:30 start at Richmond Gate (the idea repulses me, but it does make sense given the recent clock change!), and it looks like the weather might just be ok for it 8)

Takers on the other thread were:

Myself
RedGreenBaron
Fuji Mackers
Esoteric80
thebongolian
Myk-ee (for some of it at least)

Here's a link to the route to whack in your generic GPS device, but as long as I'm there we'll be fine on that - I know it inside out.

Any of the other RPCC regulars about for this? Anyone else fancy having a crack at it? It's a smashing route (even if I do say so myself!) and aside from the roll out of London and a short stretch of the A24 north of Worthing it's fairly traffic-free. Come along if you're up for it.

Comments

• Myk-ee
    Myk-ee Posts: 276
    I plan to ride out into Surrey then turn around as I need to be home around lunch. Means I'm happy to sit out front for a bit to keep the full ccc people fresh..
    It's the vibe of the thing.
  • FHKJ
    FHKJ Posts: 151
    I'm (kind of) keen but a relative beginner so would be keen to understand the average pace?

Francis
  • Rich-Ti
    FHKJ wrote:
    I'm (kind of) keen but a relative beginner so would be keen to understand the average pace?

Francis
    Hi Francis, we would normally average around 28kph / 17.5mph - hope that helps :?
  • 63mph winds, heavy rain showers and a 6.30am alarm call. Not sure if I can make this :P :P
    Other things on in the afternoon anyhoo...
  • Rich-Ti
    63mph winds, heavy rain showers
    You're talking rubbish man :roll:
  • Rich-Ti wrote:
    For your sake, I hope I am :lol:
  • patchy
    patchy Posts: 779
    I'm really, really tempted - although the longest i've done in the past is 90 miles, so i'm a little daunted by the distance. I'll give it some thought and let you know...
    point your handlebars towards the heavens and sweat like you're in hell
  • Berns12
    Berns12 Posts: 198
    Impending weather and I have a school reunion for all the expats living in London in the evening means CCC is a no-go for me.

If there is chance of light rain I will head and do Dynamo laps or the "hoon fest" route to Surrey and back. If there is sufficient interest in the latter I will do that and happy to lead a group. If its p*ssing down I am staying in bed.

Tis a shame I will be missing out on the CCC as this will probably probably would have been my last or 2nd last RPCC ride before I head home to Aus. Have fun and enjoy boys
  • gbs
    gbs Posts: 450
    Well, I like the route and the look of the cakes but I am concerned re a hamstring and possible rain. If I come I will almost certainly bail out at Worthing since for some strange reason I want to see England play Argentina.

0730 at Richmond Gate? I think that reopening time is 0730 - no doubt gate opening is not a synchronised sport so some delay may occur. I am normally v punctual so if I am not there do not wait.

Rich Ti if you care to PM with a mobile number I will confirm my intention on the day.
    vintage newbie, spinning away
  • Rich-Ti
    gbs wrote:
    0730 at Richmond Gate? I think that reopening time is 0730 - no doubt gate opening is not a synchronised sport so some delay may occur.
    Is that the deer cull induced re-opening time? :?
  • Mark73
    Mark73 Posts: 146
    Would really love to do this, sounds like a great ride and healthy distance, but I have to work on Saturday. Have a good one and I hope the weather holds out for you.
  • gbs
    Rich-Ti wrote:
    gbs wrote:
    0730 at Richmond Gate? I think that reopening time is 0730 - no doubt gate opening is not a synchronised sport so some delay may occur.

YES.
  • Rich-Ti
    Ok - better make it 7:30 OUTSIDE Richmond Gate then folks, and we'll roll out through Twickenham & Teddington.
  • Rich-Ti wrote:
    FHKJ wrote:

Francis
    Hi Francis, we would normally average around 28kph / 17.5mph - hope that helps :?

Greetings Francis.
    The last CCC was 18.2mph average. This was despite some mild bonking on the return route plus heavy rain. Given daylight issues, we wouldn't really want to be any slower than this. However, we won't blast up the early hills and thereafter it's reasonably flat so if you're used to close riding you'll get a decent pull.
    NB the p******* fairy will be chained up for the day.

Having said (written) all that, the forecast is still touch and go.

nick
  • gbs
    gbs wrote:
    Rich-Ti wrote:
    gbs wrote:

YES.

I checked this morning. For the benefit of early risers: deer culliing continues into December (end date is not fixed) and until then gates will reopen at 0730 closing at 2000. This refers to all gates incl pedestrian gates.
  • voxegam
    voxegam Posts: 244
    Just to say, won't be able to make this for obvious reasons, but it is a really great route and was definitely the best RPCC ride I've done (despite the horrific rain on our return during the summer)....So if you're having doubts, I'd give it a go....as Rich says, there are plenty of bailout points.
    Trek Madone 6.5 Pro
    Planet-X (now winter-bike)
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    Berns12 wrote:

Tis a shame I will be missing out on the CCC as this will probably probably would have been my last or 2nd last RPCC ride before I head home to Aus. Have fun and enjoy boys

Are you going back home for good or just to escape the colder months 8)
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    edited November 2009
    Rich-Ti wrote:
    For your sake, I hope I am :lol:

He's not. Heavy rain and 48kmph winds for London and Brighton. :cry:
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • FHKJ
    FHKJ Posts: 151
    Rich-Ti wrote:
    FHKJ wrote:

Francis

Greetings Francis.
    The last CCC was 18.2mph average. This was despite some mild bonking on the return route plus heavy rain. Given daylight issues, we wouldn't really want to be any slower than this. However, we won't blast up the early hills and thereafter it's reasonably flat so if you're used to close riding you'll get a decent pull.
    NB the p******* fairy will be chained up for the day.

Having said (written) all that, the forecast is still touch and go.

nick

On that basis I'm pretty much up for an attempt. If all else fails, my 705 will see me home I'm sure...

Obviously forecast dependent, and it looks a tad, err, rubbish right now.

Is there any chance it might be swapped for the rather better forecasted Sunday?

Francis
  • felgen
    felgen Posts: 829
    Hi Chaps,

Dont think I will do this cos
    1) - weather might be bad
    2) - need a lie in
    3) - popped a spoke and pretty much wrecked my training/commuting wheel
    4) - dont really want to use my good wheels in iffy weather

yours pathetically

Felgen
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    2)Nelson Pista Singlespeed
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • FHKJ wrote:
    Obviously forecast dependent, and it looks a tad, err, rubbish right now.

Is there any chance it might be swapped for the rather better forecasted Sunday?

Francis
    That there's the sorta creative, imaginative thinking we've been lacking on this thread!
    I can make Sunday. However, what about the others? Maybe they've already planned their weekends around it.....
    Sunday could also destroy some of Felgen's cons.
    Metcheck and the BEEB are v happy with Sunday; accuweather and wunderground a bit less so.
  • Berns12
    NWLondoner wrote:
    Berns12 wrote:

Are you going back home for good or just to escape the colder months 8)

Just home for the winter, will be taking my bike with me. don't worry not leaving London just yet :) How is your new club Ryan?
  • I could probably do Sunday, however after scanning the beeb weather forecast, Satuday doesnt look too bad, possibly wet to start off with and a headwind down to the coast, but tailwind all the way home! I recall Mykee offering some towing services down to North Downs, so perhaps not too bad.
  • I'm bursting for a ride either way. It's been 10 days (I don't even get to commute) and already I'm not sleeping as well. Just bought some bananas for the ride!
    Slightly weird that we've had no post from Rich this morning. Could he actually be focusing on his work?
    Edit - this from the metoffice:
    "During Friday night and Saturday, severe south-westerly gales gusting up to 75mph look set to develop across many southern coastal counties of England and Wales. Widespread gales will develop across inland areas of southern England too, with gusts of up to 65mph likely.
    These conditions will result in hazardous travelling conditions, and some localised flooding may occur in areas where the land is saturated after recent rainfall. In addition, some damage to buildings and trees may occur in the worst of the severe gales. "
    :shock:
  • patchy
    patchy Posts: 779
    yeah, i think i'm gonna sit this one out due to the weather forecast...
    point your handlebars towards the heavens and sweat like you're in hell
  • Berns12
    I'm bursting for a ride either way. It's been 10 days (I don't even get to commute) and already I'm not sleeping as well. Just bought some bananas for the ride!
    Slightly weird that we've had no post from Rich this morning. Could he actually be focusing on his work?
    Edit - this from the metoffice:
    "During Friday night and Saturday, severe south-westerly gales gusting up to 75mph look set to develop across many southern coastal counties of England and Wales. Widespread gales will develop across inland areas of southern England too, with gusts of up to 65mph likely.
    These conditions will result in hazardous travelling conditions, and some localised flooding may occur in areas where the land is saturated after recent rainfall. In addition, some damage to buildings and trees may occur in the worst of the severe gales. "
    :shock:

That's it then. I am not even going to attempt Surrey. Stay in bed or endure the threat of punctures at Richmond Park with the club run instead.

"Good luck boys and remember, no one gets left behind"
  • I'm afraid I'm going to wuss out of Saturday too (for reasons very similar to Felgen's)

And sadly plans on Sunday preclude a long ride - probably just some laps of RP on my fixie (can't get the nice bike grimy...)
  • gbs
    FHKJ wrote:
    [

Francis

Call me chicken if you wish but on both days this weekend there would appear to be sufficient probability of a soaking that I will withdraw and give my hamstring another few days of recovery. Metcheck is gloomy until friday next week so may be the weekend of 21/22 will offer a good opportunity.

If you go, roulez bien mes braves.

PS: I could not find an address for the cakestop on their website - perhaps has only virtual existence - or is it on the short eastward hitch in Worthing as shown on the route map?.
  • Sorry to hear that lads.
    Still potentially means:
    Fuji
    me
    Eso?
    Rich?
    FH?
    Myk (part - though would this still apply on sunday?)?
    [even Felg (aided by the switch to Sunday)?]
  • Rich-Ti
    Sorry chaps - not been getting any emails telling me there's been replies! Thought it was all a bit quiet...

Sunday cool with me, as long as the weather is actually better that is :? :roll: :lol: