Anyone with experience of Bikehut Mechanical Disc Brake?

2»

Comments

• clanton
    clanton Posts: 1,289
    I have bb7's on my touring bike and have ben really impressed with how well they work - not much less powerful than my Shimano XT hydraulics. For that application anyway they are great.
  • I have juicy 3's and they are certainly not shoot Robert GT and Alex. Excellent power and modulation, very slight rubbing. Perhaps yours just aren't set up right?

Some Juicy 3's work a charm, others are mediocre. I've read countless opinions and Threads slating and praising them. I have them, the front is excellent, the back needed rebleeding after overheating.
    I chose to upgrade the squeezers on the AM bike, but I'll certainly keep the Juicy 3s for future use as they are very good.

Talking of cable brakes, I met a rider once who replaced his hydros with cable disc squeezers because he much preferred the feel of them..
  • rhann
    rhann Posts: 383
    Kiblams wrote:
    Alex wrote:
    The ability to lock a wheel is not a measure of a brake's quality or usefulness.

I am not sure that what Adam meant by (lock up solid everytime" was that; they are not able to modulate, he was commenting on their strength :roll:

I can get whatever baking force I require from my BB5, from 'slow me a little before the next corner' to 'OH sh*t that's a big tree/rock/cliff!' :D
    the amount of movement comes down to the soft squishy thing on top of the bike, locking the wheel is essential as that is the top limit, before that comes down to the soft squishy thing getting used to their particular system.
  • cerfu
    cerfu Posts: 2
    i disagree, although parts may be hard to find they are still very good for the money and I have had them for a year know and they provide much better braking than my freinds shimano deore and equaly as good as another friends avid juicy 3. I use these brakes often and even at places such as afan they were faultless and they offer great performance from what I have found with a lot of braking power and they are also very smoth and offer a good amount of feel.
  • cerfu
    cerfu Posts: 2
    Alex wrote:
    The ability to lock a wheel is not a measure of a brake's quality or usefulness.
    very true but luckily the bike hut ones dont lock up your wheel and they actualy have a good amount of feel... agter using avid juicy 3 i thought they were better than avids
  • One word answer...Terrible!

My first bike was an ooooold GT aggressor that I slowly upgraded. I fitted these bike hut cable discs and they are lethal! Absolutely no braking power at all and if I pressed just past biting point they would lock into position until I rolled the wheel backwards. Not good for slowing down gradually when you have to stop dead to reverse the wheel every time you use them!

Seroiusly avoid these brakes, as per above get some hydro's I replaced these within two weeks with a second hand set of juicy 5's and the difference is remarkable!

Hayes stroker although somewhat lacking for serious moutain biking (I replaced the strokers on my cube with elixers ) they are infinately better than any cable discs and can be got very cheap from fleabay