Is there a product out there to solve my dilema??

lightyears
lightyears Posts: 5
edited November 2009 in MTB general
I am NOT have problems clearing objects but trying to stop objects (that is rocks mainly) denting my chain rings and knocking off the teeth. As my bike has a low Bbracket height I think adding a guard to the large ring isnt an option. I am loathed to loose the large chain ring and sacrifce the help that gears are meant to give me as my bike works really well using all of them.
Am I right to to doubt that a bash guard can protect a ring from loose stone attack?
I cannot believe that no one has come up with a way of protecting the rings from the underside and outside against flying objects rather than just protecting them against hitting objects, as you attempt to clear over them.....is this wishful thinking and am I the only one to regulary damage my chain set in this manner? [/b]

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    nope there is not.

Are you sure you are actually damaging the rings? Pics?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • x-isle
    x-isle Posts: 794
    If I had to guess, I'd say it was more technique rather than the bike.

I'm no pro or trainer, but if there is anything that I need to get over that is higher than the BB height then it's a hop off, jump, drop off rather than roll over.

.....although I did roll over a drop off that I didn't see (over grown) a few weeks ago, filing a few teeth off the top ring......ahem...... :roll: told you I was no pro!
    Craig Rogers
  • I have managed to bend the large ring so it doesnt hook up with the chain as it goes around. I have fixed it once by hammering it back into shape. Then lost a few too many teeth and bought another. My mate has got fed up and changed to 2 rings and a bash guard but hes a fit bugger! I think the damage occurs mainly when entering streams and going down some rocky decents, and thats on most rides so I guess the laws of inevitablity arent in my favour. . Is there one area on this site tha texplains in simpleton terms the various 2 ring setup and bashguards (with pictures?) if that is my only resort?
    Thanks for info though.
  • ravey1981
    ravey1981 Posts: 1,111
    I think you're best bet is to put on a big ring protector to be honest, it will protect against the vast majority of hits. As the bash ring is so close to the big ring it should protect the teeth from "flying" rocks too...

I use this one:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... delID=3953

It is a little bit heavy, but there is also a plastic version available.
  • whatabout a taco bash?

Should prevent most of the rock strikes?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    ride_whenever
    yes but not the loose stone attacks that the OP says is doing the damage.

But bending a ring to need hammering back seems too much for a loose stone strike but more like a bottoming out.

If that is really the case then yes the taco is the thing to use.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • I cannot see a flying stone seriously damaging a chainring...
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    You could probably throw bricks at your chainrings and not do much damage, how big are the stones that you thing are doing the damage? And, if they're big enough to cause the damage, then how are they being thrown up by your front wheel?
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    i bent my biggest chainring when a large rock i'd just ridden over whacked up into my chainset but that just bent 2 or 3 teeth meaning i couldn't shift properly. but happening everyride? not sure what to say about that...... :?
  • Thanks for the advice guys - think the prob could be a combo of bottoming out in the base of the streams and loose rocks bouncing up so may go for a taco to start with and if that fails a bash ring. Fingers crossed it shouldnt be so bad now winter is upon us!