More Polls - Astana hilarity

DaveyL
DaveyL Posts: 5,167
edited November 2009 in Pro race
Seems to be the time to vote on various cycling performances this year.

Astana are asking *you* who their most valuable rider was in 2009. Just for any Septics who may have happened across the poll (directed by JB's twitter perhaps...) they have helpfully translated this as MVP and put your most likely candidate at the top of the list:

http://www.astana-cyclingteam.com/speci ... wards.html

And yes, he is leading at the moment...
Le Blaireau (1)

Comments

• dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Hmmmmmmm.....
    Can't think of much else to say other than Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

This old world sure is strange at times. There, I thought of something.
  • I've gotta say that I'm surprised the mono-balled one is leading the poll. Taking the "love him-loath him" aspect out of the equation, did he really contribute to Astana's success's during the season more than Conti or even Klodi? If Armstrong was Astana's MVR then it must be for column inches generated rather than for any worthwhile victories or for being any kind of team player.
    Let's close our eyes and see what happens
  • DaveyL
    Of course he wasn't the team's "MVP". Bruyneel tweeted a link to the poll and all the (I hate to say it) fanboys gladly rolled up and voted for their man.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • What no Vino?
    Self confessed King of The Mole Hill
  • What no Vino? :lol:
    Self confessed King of The Mole Hill
  • dennisn
    DaveyL wrote:
    Of course he wasn't the team's "MVP". Bruyneel tweeted a link to the poll and all the (I hate to say it) fanboys gladly rolled up and voted for their man.

I sure hear a lot about "fanboys" on this forum. I live in the States and still get around a bit, but haven't really met anyone whom I would qualify as a "fanboy". Of course everyone knows who he is but I haven't heard anyone who rabidly(is that a word?) defends him or sings his praises to the heavens every chance he gets. I mean, Pro racing and all it's facets gets discussed here, like every other place, but I don't see lots of hero worship(for lack of better words) for Lance or anyone else for that matter. The fanboys you talk about must be "over there". :wink::wink:
  • DaveyL
    So you reckon that a large number of unbiased cycling followers will have given the issue a lot of thought, and after due deliberation cast their vote for LA as Astana's most valuable rider?

Right you are denboy.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • DaveyL
    dennisn wrote:

I sure hear a lot about "fanboys" on this forum. I live in the States and still get around a bit, but haven't really met anyone whom I would qualify as a "fanboy".

Well, maybe it's a bit like being an @rsehole - you don't realise you yourself actually are one, til someone else points it out....
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • dennisn
    DaveyL wrote:
    So you reckon that a large number of unbiased cycling followers will have given the issue a lot of thought, and after due deliberation cast their vote for LA as Astana's most valuable rider?

Right you are denboy.

I'm thinking that I don't know anyone who would bother to vote. :wink::wink:
  • donrhummy
    donrhummy Posts: 2,329
    Lance was their most valuable. Who do you think made them more money? Lance or Contador. Contador was the better rider, but financially, Lance was worth more.
  • What does the term most "valuable mean"?
    I know they make the award in pro football etc, but can't equate it, in cycling terms.

The only way I can see Lance winning this award, is with his appearance fees, but they didn't go into Astana's team bank account.

Why isn't Lance up for the "best Domestique" award? :roll:

The real joke is the voting for the best individual performance of the year.
    Astana fans apprently think coming 3rd, is waaaay better than winning the Tour! :lol:
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • dennisn
    DaveyL wrote:
    dennisn wrote:

I sure hear a lot about "fanboys" on this forum. I live in the States and still get around a bit, but haven't really met anyone whom I would qualify as a "fanboy".

Well, maybe it's a bit like being an @rsehole - you don't realise you yourself actually are one, til someone else points it out....

If you're thinking of me with that statment, well, trust me, it's been pointed out by more than a few people. :wink:
  • I just voted for Klodi, he's valuable isn't he? About $45,000 or whatever it was Freiburg valued him at t'other day.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    dennisn wrote:
    DaveyL wrote:

I sure hear a lot about "fanboys" on this forum. I live in the States and still get around a bit, but haven't really met anyone whom I would qualify as a "fanboy". Of course everyone knows who he is but I haven't heard anyone who rabidly(is that a word?) defends him or sings his praises to the heavens every chance he gets. I mean, Pro racing and all it's facets gets discussed here, like every other place, but I don't see lots of hero worship(for lack of better words) for Lance or anyone else for that matter. The fanboys you talk about must be "over there". :wink::wink:

They tend not to hang around here for very long because they end up reading stuff they don't want to know.
  • Vino
    Vino Posts: 184
    ees perfectly good poll spoiled by monoball boy

Is obvious to every persons that it is Calves return that is most important news

Ave Pollstar Calves
  • dennisn
    Vino wrote:
    ees perfectly good poll spoiled by monoball boy

Is obvious to every persons that it is Calves return that is most important news

Ave Pollstar Calves

:lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    afx237vi wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    DaveyL wrote:

They tend not to hang around here for very long because they end up reading stuff they don't want to know.

Not saying there isnt such a thing as Lance or Bertie fanboy but you tend to find the folks discussing LA etc in here are the same ones discussing other topics every other day .
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • Arkibal
    Arkibal Posts: 850
    Best TT?
    Klöden won one, Leipheimer 2, Contador 4, Armstrong none.
    Go figure.
    Dennis and MG have been busy.
    j/k! :D
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    I'm disappointed I couldn't vote for Armstrong as "funniest team member"
  • Surely Armstrong is the most improved rider since last year though? Couldnt vote for him though.
  • Arkibal wrote:
    Best TT?
    Go figure.

Vino won one also!

Just tried the Russian version of the site. Guess what, no poll!
  • SpaceJunk
    SpaceJunk Posts: 1,157
    That is a fantastic poll. I love it.
  • SpaceJunk
    SpaceJunk Posts: 1,157
    We're a happy bunch of campers:

toughguys.png
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Miffed that he's not in the centre of the picture instead of (pre "diet supplements") fat Armstrong?
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • moray_gub
    Arkibal wrote:
    Best TT?
    Go figure.

Contador is leading this category and you say go figure ?..............strange !
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    SpaceJunk wrote:
    We're a happy bunch of campers:

toughguys.png

if this is an official team photo,not adjusted with photoshop, I am amazed they didn't show Contador the respect of the position of centre of the photo given his achievements at that point...all credit to AC for staying cool and putting LA in his place.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Moray Gub wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:

Not saying there isnt such a thing as Lance or Bertie fanboy but you tend to find the folks discussing LA etc in here are the same ones discussing other topics every other day .

Well that's what I mean. The ardent pro-Lance posters show up whenever he is in the news, make one or two posts, then go away again. They're fans of LA, not cycling.
  • moray_gub
    afx237vi wrote:
    Moray Gub wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:

Well that's what I mean. The ardent pro-Lance posters show up whenever he is in the news, make one or two posts, then go away again. They're fans of LA, not cycling.

I think thats exaggerated most posters on here tend to be here all year with a few extra during the TDF but these are not neccesarily fans of LA.
  • Arkibal
    Arkibal Posts: 850
    Moray Gub wrote:
    Arkibal wrote:
    Best TT?
    Go figure.

Contador is leading this category and you say go figure ?..............strange !

The fact that LA is even on the TT list and LL & Klöden are not is hilarious, LA has not won a single TT this year. You have to wear very heavy blinders not to see how biased the site is.

You know very well MG that I was a big LA supporter until the comeback.
  • Noticed something else. You can post a comment on each poll except one. The most valuable rider (which LA is winning hands down). Pity I would have been interested to see the comments :roll: