Forum home Commuter cycling forum Commuting chat

upgrading the tricross sport for winter use

jacktheladjackthelad Posts: 89
edited November 2009 in Commuting chat
Hi guys first post

was wondering if anyone could give advice to upgrading my tricross 09 sport for winter use, presently everything as standard.

.Have already put on full length mudguards to keep the [email protected] at bay.Want to get the upgrades right first time,mostly commuting on cut up trail paths with heavy wet leaves etc and plenty of pot holes and neds buckie green glass near builtup housing estates,so need tyres that are bomb proof.

any help appreciated

jack the lad

• I'd get some cx tyres and run them ghetto tubeless just about the only way to keep glass at bay!
  • AndyMancAndyManc Posts: 1,393
    or ................ get hold of a dirt cheap winter hack and save your tri-cross for the other 9 months of the year :wink:

Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
    URBAN_MANC.png
  • Jay dubbleUJay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Cyclocross bikes were invented by Belgians to ride through muddy fields - tricross is an ideal winter bike
  • guys thanks for the posts greatly appreciated.I have an old ridgeback 604 I use for winter
    when really bad.The tricross is to backup the ridgeback .So will use the tricross regular but the ridgeback comes out when the roads are salted or quite bad.It is fitted with marathon plus slick tyres on a 26 inch wheel.Never had a puncture touch wood since I fitted them which was quite a few years ago.Was just looking for tyres for the tricross with simular endurance.I dont care about speed at this time of year so the nobbler the better, but what can you get that will fit the tricross

jackthelad
  • jackthelad wrote:
    guys thanks for the posts greatly appreciated.I have an old ridgeback 604 I use for winter
    when really bad.The tricross is to backup the ridgeback .So will use the tricross regular but the ridgeback comes out when the roads are salted or quite bad.It is fitted with marathon plus slick tyres on a 26 inch wheel.Never had a puncture touch wood since I fitted them which was quite a few years ago.Was just looking for tyres for the tricross with simular endurance.I dont care about speed at this time of year so the nobbler the better, but what can you get that will fit the tricross

jackthelad

you can get the marathon pluses for the cross which would probably be a bettter bet than a cross tire as bar mud it will offer better traction as well as glass proof.
  • Roger thanks for the reply did not know you could get the marathon for a 700x32 tyre

jackthelad
  • jackthelad wrote:
    Roger thanks for the reply did not know you could get the marathon for a 700x32 tyre

jackthelad

25 and 35 i think. so you'd have to play with what you want Ie don't want the 35 to be too big to keep mudguards on etc.

edit no I'm wrong plenty to chose from http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Schwalbe_Marathon_Plus_Smartguard_Tyre/5360007837/
  • Wallace1492Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Hi, I have standard Tricross at the moment. All I have changed is pedals, and put on the Kona style front hanger to stop the front fork judder. Got the Borough tyres on just now and find them OK, but have the 700 x 28 Marathon Plus at the ready. Fitted Chromoplastic guards and a rack. I intend to use it all winter, well as much as possible. Tis a superb bike, and very happy with it.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • Wallace I am also in Glasgow, did you get your marathons locally or over the net.

just wondered

jackthelad
    jackthelad wrote:
    Wallace I am also in Glasgow, did you get your marathons locally or over the net.

just wondered

jackthelad

Net - Wiggle, have good discount from them. Arrive in a bloody great box though......
    What part of city you in? Battle of the Tricrosses on Maryhill Road perchance?
  • paisley area

jackthelad
  • JameyJamey Posts: 2,152
    Spa cycles are usually cheapest for Marathon Plusses. Got my latest pair of 700x32's for £42 delivered a few weeks back.

Spa - £19 each plus delivery (£4 per order, I think)

Wiggle - £24.29 each

So Wiggle would be about £50 for a pair of tyres instead of Spa's £42.
  • jamey thanks for that link tried the basket, with my friend thinking of buying 2 700x35 for his croix de fer and my 2 ordered at the same time postage is free, so the tyres work out at £19 some difference from the local chap charging £29.50 per tyre.

Only thing I would like to know is that I have fitted full sks mudguards and was wondering should I go for the 28 or 32 depending on clearance.

If yourself or anyone on the forum can help then this would be appreciated.

jackthelad
  • RoastieRoastie Posts: 1,968
    Jamey wrote:
    Spa cycles are usually cheapest for Marathon Plusses. Got my latest pair of 700x32's for £42 delivered a few weeks back.

Wiggle - £24.29 each

Or try St James Street (www.sjscycles.co.uk) - just bought a pair of 25s for my my Darling's bike, came out to about £41 incl. postage.

TBH, Wiggle generally seems quite expensive.
  • RoastieRoastie Posts: 1,968
    jackthelad wrote:
    Only thing I would like to know is that I have fitted full sks mudguards and was wondering should I go for the 28 or 32 depending on clearance.

jackthelad
    What size rubber do you have on at the mo and does it look like you have any spare clearance?
  • vorsprungvorsprung Posts: 1,953
    Jamey wrote:

Wiggle - £24.29 each

ISTR that Spa do free post if the order is over 50 quid
  • I have 32s on my Tricross - but I bought the bigger guards (35+) and there is LOADS of clearance.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
    jackthelad wrote:
    jamey thanks for that link tried the basket, with my friend thinking of buying 2 700x35 for his croix de fer and my 2 ordered at the same time postage is free, so the tyres work out at £19 some difference from the local chap charging £29.50 per tyre.

jackthelad

If you have the standard tyres at the moment, they will be 700x35 Borough's. If your mudguards fit over these, then either the 28 or 32 will be fine. Will just be personal choice. I have gone for 28's. Sticking them on tonight, i hope....
  • I have the standard tyres and they are 32 with little clearance with the mudguards fitted so it is looking more like the 28s,

jackthelad