Cheap lizard skins £1 !

geordiefreerider
geordiefreerider Posts: 888
edited November 2009 in MTB general
Not sure if it's of any interest to many folk but I happened to stumble online across some cheap Lizard skins at halfords, i got a chainstay and a headset one for £1 each - ideal if you have just bought a new bike.....

Comments

• biff55
    biff55 Posts: 1,404
    cheers buddy , nice heads up , need headset seal meself. 8)
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    I two chainstay ones for a pound each, and a tip for people, If you have a short rear shock the shock booties can be cut down so the cover the whole shock and top and bottom of headset.
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • They actually cause more harm than good when the dirt and grit gets trapped behind them, headsets and shock boots. I would avoid personally. The chainstay protectors work great, Ive run them on most of my bikes.

Seriously, if you get shit and grit/mud trapped behind the shock boot, it can cause many problems!
  • furby
    furby Posts: 200
    The big cheese, have you actually used them?
  • furby wrote:
    The big cheese, have you actually used them?

Had a headset one on my Scott 1999 Pro-racing, left it on without looking/checking it, and the headset was virtually seized solid with crap, when I dismantled it, there was crap everywhere.

Also (on the same bike) I took the rubber covers (all shocks had them back in the day) off my Judy's and used the shock boot instead, stantions were well and truly scrached to buggery - grit etc gets behind the boot.

Quite a problem, especially with an expensive headset, I don't see a need TBH, but I have heard quite a few stories, of grit getting caight under the shock boots and scratching the stantion to fook!

Not personal experience I must say, but quite a few problems have been reported, a few on here will agree with me.
  • Aye the shock ones could probably cause damage but my headset - FSA pig, is notorious for having a poor bottom seal so covering it with one of these cant make it any worse !!

The bottom cup on the pig is so big the skin is stretched really tight and I really cant see any crud getting underneath it but it could be possible on a smaller diameter headset..........
  • dav1
    dav1 Posts: 1,298
    for a quid I think ill have to get some of these... bring on the weekend!
    Giant TCR advanced 2 (Summer/race)
    Merlin single malt fixie (Commuter/winter/training)
    Trek superfly 7 (Summer XC)
    Giant Yukon singlespeed conversion (winter MTB/Ice/snow)

Carrera virtuoso - RIP
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    I've always use the chainstay ones, saves it getting chored up
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • mrlee
    mrlee Posts: 499
    im on my way down to halfords this minute.
  • handful
    handful Posts: 920
    Just got back from Halfords, Lizard skins still priced at normal prices :(

I asked an assistant and he knew nothing about the deal, was serving someone else at the time and said he would check when he finished but I couldn't be arsed to wait any longer so left empty handed :roll:
    Vaaru Titanium Sram Red eTap
    Moda Chord with drop bars and Rival shifters - winter/do it all bike
    Orbea Rise
  • mrlee
    mrlee Posts: 499
    i was down halfords in bridgend this morning. they were also marked up at normal price, so i asked the assistant to scan them for me and sure enough they were 1 pound. its only the blue and black ones though. red are normal price
  • Yeah sorry i should of said they wer of limited colour/size/variety, check the store locator onlin for availability first :oops:
  • you can reserve them online if the store has them in stock, thats what i done and the price came up at £1 each
    whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons