46 in a few weeks time and fancy some racing

Harry B
Harry B Posts: 1,239
edited November 2009 in Amateur race
Yep, will soon be 46. I started cycling a couple of years ago and have improved quite a lot especialy in the last year.

I quite fancy racing and have seen details of Imperial RC winder series at Minet Park. Can anyone tell me what the standard is like in the cat 4 races?

Thanks

Comments

• mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,646
    I know not of the standard....

be prepared for exploding lungs and shinning walls of deafening white light giving way to astral singing in your head as the blood supply to your eyes is temporally restored between efforts

.... if you do not experience this

a) the opposition is rubbish

b) you have genuine innate talent

c) you didn't try hard enough
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    I suppose the standard is all relative but in my limited experience of 4ths only races they aren't super fast and finishing in the bunch should be easily doable for anyone who rides chain gangs and isn't shelled out early every time. There will be some fairly strong riders but nothing to be afraid of and as most will lack a bit of experience it's easier to stay near the front than in a 3/4 or a 2/3/4.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • Harry B
    I suppose the standard is all relative but in my limited experience of 4ths only races they aren't super fast and finishing in the bunch should be easily doable for anyone who rides chain gangs and isn't shelled out early every time. There will be some fairly strong riders but nothing to be afraid of and as most will lack a bit of experience it's easier to stay near the front than in a 3/4 or a 2/3/4.

I love your signature :D

I've got some Specialized S Works bars on my bike :wink:
  • Hi Harry B
    You'll be fine, I'm also 46 and train at Minet most weeks. It's a nice circuit and the racing wont be too fast.
    Try it you wont be disappointed.
    "If you think you can, or if you think you can't, your right" Henry Ford
  • Gimmer
    Gimmer Posts: 10
    I have a BC Bronze Provisional Licence. Can I ride the 4th cat events at Hillingdon with this, or do I need to upgrade to a full licence?
  • No, the provisional licence only allows you to take part in certain go ride races and novice races, to race cat 4 in the Hillingdon series you will need a full racing licence.
  • bahzob
    bahzob Posts: 2,195
    No, the provisional licence only allows you to take part in certain go ride races and novice races, to race cat 4 in the Hillingdon series you will need a full racing licence.

Sure? I thought u could buy a day licence. Certainly can at other events like those at Thruxton. Works out expensive in long run of course but perfect for people like OP who may just like to come and give racing a go to see how they fare.

Also to OP, age is no barrier, I did first races just turning up and riding on day licence at Thruxton at 49, If u do go for it best do a bit of homework first though, Check out history here or post another q for newbie advice.
    Martin S. Newbury RC
  • bahzob wrote:
    No, the provisional licence only allows you to take part in certain go ride races and novice races, to race cat 4 in the Hillingdon series you will need a full racing licence.

Sure? I thought u could buy a day licence. Certainly can at other events like those at Thruxton. Works out expensive in long run of course but perfect for people like OP who may just like to come and give racing a go to see how they fare.

Also to OP, age is no barrier, I did first races just turning up and riding on day licence at Thruxton at 49, If u do go for it best do a bit of homework first though, Check out history here or post another q for newbie advice.

Sorry yes i forgot about day licences, as you say they are expensive in the long run but will enable you to try. Usually cost about £3 - £5 if i remember correctly.
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    bahzob wrote:

A day licence for hillingdon, with a bronze BC membership is 5quid, (10 quid with no bronze) if you upgrade to silver, but don't get a race licence it is then free, but you don't get any points. You only need a racing licence if you want points, or want to do higher standard races.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • MikeWW
    MikeWW Posts: 723
    Just started (cyclo cross) races
    You don't seem to be able to enter regional or national events without a race licence
    and you have to preregister so can't see how the day thing would work
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    MikeWW wrote:
    Just started (cyclo cross) races
    You don't seem to be able to enter regional or national events without a race licence
    and you have to preregister so can't see how the day thing would work
    You can enter Regional road races (Cat 2/3/4 or 3/4) on a day licence, but not National Level races (Cat E/1/2 or E/1/2/3). Day licence charges are as follows:

Bronze
    Silver/Gold----Non BC Members
    Regional A/B-£10.00
    £5.00
    £10.00
    Regional C+---£5.00
    Free
    £10.00
    Regional C
    £5.00
    Free
    £10.00
    Go Race
    Free
    Free
    £5.00

Most circuit races are C+ events so a day licence is FOC if you are a Silver or Gold member, but you aren't elegible for licence points as has been pointed out.

No need to pre-enter to get a day licence. Many circuit races are Entry On the Line only anyway.

Alles klar??
  • standard good, but i am only 15 and beat a lot of 3/4s in a 10 recently. i did 21:24 and a guy i know who is a good 3rd catagory did a mid 22!!!
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    21.24 is a very fast time for a 10 especially at 15 and no surprise you beat some 3rd and 4hs.
    Road racing however is dofferet and not all TTers can cope with the pace changes.
    I know a few good tters who can average 26 to 28 mph for a 10 but have trouble going over 30mph for short bursts which are often required to make a break, close a gap, sprint finish etc.
    So the good 3rd cat you beat may have this ability to change to a higher pace when required.
  • 05hcarth wrote:
    standard good, but i am only 15 and beat a lot of 3/4s in a 10 recently. i did 21:24 and a guy i know who is a good 3rd catagory did a mid 22!!!

Bloody hell!

Where do you live? I have a friend who has a team in the west London area and would love to have a rider like you...
    left the forum March 2023
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    He lives at the top of a big hill!
    I know plenty of 'fast' testers that are absolutely pants at RRs and likewise, RR's who can't TT - probably because like me, they find it a litlle dull?

For the OP, at 46 your eligible to ride LVRC races - completely different organisation, but a membership/license is £16, race entries are £6 and they are generally better quality than a 3/4 BC race. Most LVRC races are still held on more challenging road circuits rather than closed road circuits
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Harry B
    Monty Dog wrote:
    He lives at the top of a big hill!
    I know plenty of 'fast' testers that are absolutely pants at RRs and likewise, RR's who can't TT - probably because like me, they find it a litlle dull?

For the OP, at 46 your eligible to ride LVRC races - completely different organisation, but a membership/license is £16, race entries are £6 and they are generally better quality than a 3/4 BC race. Most LVRC races are still held on more challenging road circuits rather than closed road circuits

The LVRC looks interesting. I might join them as well.

Has anyone else raced in LVRC events? If so any feedback?
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I regularly race LVRC events - region 9/10 which is the South East and there are events from April to October. It depends on which region you live in and how many local events there are. Most races are road circuits - typically 6-7 miles with race distance of about 50 miles making most races around 2 hours, whereas a 4th cat circuit race is typically half this. Quality of racing is good - less phrenetic and erratic than BC races as most riders have many years experience - but once the split / break goes it rarely comes back.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Harry B wrote:
    Has anyone else raced in LVRC events? If so any feedback?
    Have a look at this thread:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12653038
  • John C.
    John C. Posts: 2,113
    A long way off Up North but I entered at Croft on a day licence for a tenner. Best tenner I ever spent. The first few laps and no one wanted to leed into wind and the speed was erratic from 18-25mph, then when I finally jumped into a faster group on about lap 11 things steadied down and I held my place doing about 23 mph. position seems to be quite important, as in if you're on the outside near the front turning into wind you're stuck there untill the next turn, no one will let you in, having said that I had a ball, lapped a couple of riders and finished in the main group. Life begins at 50 :lol:
    http://www.ripon-loiterers.org.uk/

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail
    Hills are just a matter of pace