Diet Help (with a difference...)

El Capitano
El Capitano Posts: 6,401
edited November 2009 in Health, fitness & training
As some of you may know, I was diagnosed as a Type 1 Diabetic earlier this year. I currently have to only inject myself once a day with a slow acting insulin. I've pretty much cut out all sugar from my diet as I don't really want to have to inject with the fast acting insulin prior to every meal. Couple of reasons behind this change of diet, (the injecting doesn't bother me), it would just be inconvenient with my job (I often take clients out to dinner/lunch) and also, I'd put on more weight.

And this is a bit of a problem for me at the moment. Since Easter, I've put on a stone and a half and it's still creaping up at about a lb a week. This is as a result of taking insulin and is a well known side effect. As I've said, I don't eat sweets, cake or desserts etc any more. The issue is seem to have is that I need to eat regularly to keep my blood sugar levels at a 'safe' level. Obviously, I eat, I put on weight. The next problem I have is that if I exercise, my sugar levels drop and I have to eat again... It's a vicious circle, that TBH, I'm not doing very well at. Granted, I'm keeping my sugar levels at a safe level through my diet and exercise (which is a good thing), but I'm struggling to keep the weight off.

Any ideas, suggestions?

(not sure where this will go, but I'm loking for fresh ideas/suggestions etc)