Giro of Sardinia

Peter Herold
Peter Herold Posts: 59
edited January 2010 in Amateur race
By a freak of timing to coincide with Ironman595's comments, and not withstanding the PC dying last night, we have published full details of the 2010 Giro of Sardinia in English. see http://www.peteranne.it

As Tom says, it is a great event. Just doing the translation makes me all excited! And it's true that a reasonably-fit club rider can do the week. Of the 168 people signed-up for the GranGiro, I finished 109/123 finishers - not bad for no training, though I am pretty fit generally, I just go climbing too much! Most importantly, I really enjoyed it and never had any really terrible days.

Peter

Comments

• blorg
    blorg Posts: 1,169
    Peter- I'd be interested in doing this myself, I toured in Sardinia earlier this year and it was the best place I've ever cycled.

From what I can gather it is €490 hotel + the €100 race entry? And that is pretty much it? Sounds like good value.

I don't drive myself so hoping to either persuade someone who does and rent a car or I guess otherwise go for the transfer options. I'd be flying in to Alghero on the Friday, out on the Monday though so would have to get across the island.
  • blorg wrote:
    Peter- I'd be interested in doing this myself, I toured in Sardinia earlier this year and it was the best place I've ever cycled.

The price for the 7 days (no extra nights) and race entry is as you say, though after 31.12.2009 there is an extra €100 to pay (final deadline 28 feb). This year, though there are lots of Italians signed up, there are no Brits....we think this is because the transfers are a hassle and hiring a car adds a lot to the cost. This year's Giro is more like a series of races in the NE-central part of the island which you have to drive to, than the popular previous years' formula of a hotel from which nearly all of the stages start, and after an early start you get back for lunch and crash out. Anyway, that's the organisers' decision, not ours...

cheers Peter
  • Hi Peter,

Happy new year! Vendy and I always look out for your updates on fbook...

Well done after a busy 2009!

Just to note- there are still def 4 of us coming from henley- just not got around to paperwork yet... we'll be hiring cars there... works out around £160 for the Giro + 2days.

Speak soon!
    Tom