I have a idea (stay with me on this one)

2»

Comments

• Sarnian
    Sarnian Posts: 1,451
    I can see this being a working progress over the next year or so, I will start with what I have lying around the shed and about £100 and see what I can do, then by trial and error I will make It better and improve.

This Is how I see this little project going :D

A mate who works In a LBS has just offered me a 7 speed internal hub that I could lace onto the rear wheel I have
    It's not a ornament, so ride It
  • jayson
    jayson Posts: 4,606
    How about an 8 spd shimano nexus hub?
  • Sarnian
    jayson wrote:

That would be nice, but don't really have the budget for one right now.
  • jayson
    jayson Posts: 4,606
    Sarnian wrote:
    jayson wrote:

That would be nice, but don't really have the budget for one right now.

I'll be honest, i dint realise they were quite that expensive although compared to a rohloff they're practically giving them away.
  • Sarnian
    I mate who works In my LBS has just offered me a sram 7 speed internal hub for £40 I just have to lace It onto the rear wheel I am going to use.
  • Sarnian
    Well the second hand inbred frame and forks have just turned up, so It begins
  • WIP thread in the "your rides" section please. Looking forward to seeing this :D

The wife has agreed to buy me the Pugsley frameset for christmas. Been getting some really useful advice off the MTBR fat bike forum too. Going to start getting some bits and pieces together from next week.

I'll be going for internal gears for mine, but just so you know, loads of people run standard cassettes and triple rings. So long as you use dry lube and clean every time you go on the beach, wear is apparently not too bad.

Best advice is to just use sealed bearings everywhere you can. Headset, hubs, pedals, the lot.
  • Sarnian
    You lucky person, a Pugsley I am jealous :D

I am still on a budget as I am also trying to build a xc bike to race next year, so this Is just for fun.

Trying to decide what color to paint the frame as It needs one.
  • Meh, I plan on using the Pug as an all purpose bike. No XC Race bike for me, just the DH bike and this. Not going to be keeping up with anyone, but I'll certainly be having a good time.

Which colour is the frame now?

What colour are the forks you are using? You planning on re-spraying them too?
  • Sarnian
    Frame and forks are the standard Inbred white, I have to use this on the roads as well and It's got to go up hill aver rocks stones and all kinds of different sand, so I think 3inch tyres are my limit
  • Ah, now you see, I was thinking the same thing, until I saw this video of a guy doing a 50 mile XC ride on his. The tyres actually helpit get overbig rocks and wet roots better than a lot of other bikes, you're just going to be slower overall (they are fairly heavy as you can imagine). I plan on using mine to do the End2End next year for a laugh.

As for paint, it's a personal choice. I've always been a fan of black, the stealth bike look. Hides damage pretty well too. Black and white together can look awesome (Bens custom Surge for example).

Or you could go really ott and go neon orange or green or something. :D
  • Hercule Q
    Hercule Q Posts: 2,781
    those pugslys are pimp, kinda like the monster truck of the bike world :D

pinkbike
    Blurring the line between bravery and stupidity since 1986!
  • R+P+K
    R+P+K Posts: 49
    Built for Iditabike so you probably wouldn't need the Thermos.

DSC2197.JPG
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    R+P+K
    IIRC did that not have camping gas in the fork legs?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    why does it have a cassette on the front wheel? I can see how having the front and rear wheels the same could be useful when you need to carry a spare, but it would be such a bulky item to carry.
  • Hercule Q
    Hercule Q Posts: 2,781
    when they run singlespeed they usually have a different ratio on the front for steep hills but i cant see the point in having a whole cassette :?

pinkbike
    Blurring the line between bravery and stupidity since 1986!
  • perhaps it was the only hub lying round when they built the bike up.

Mines getting a 135mm Hadley Ti SS hub for the front. In Blue. Not cheap, but it should last well.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    perhaps it was the only hub lying round when they built the bike up.

Mines getting a 135mm Hadley Ti SS hub for the front. In Blue. Not cheap, but it should last well.
    Even if it's the only hub they had, there's no need for a casette, surely?
  • True, I was going to say it would look silly having a geared hub without a cassette on it, but it looks silly anyway.

And don't call me Surely :lol:

I'll get me coat
  • Kiblams
    Kiblams Posts: 2,423
    I beleive that the reason for the second hub is for reliablity, these bikes are primarily designed for very trecherous conditions and as such need to be able to carry on even if a freehub mechanism breaks (which I should imagine is more likely in sub-zero conditions)
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    this is a really good thread, i live in swansea, so ride on the beach quite alot, i often take my spare bike down for a play! its actually suprising how much grip you get on the wet stuff, when the tide is out, but the soft, powdery stuff is impossible! 1/1 gear, burning your legs, and still not moving! i quite like the idea of a "beach bike" i may set meself a project, i think 3.0 semi slicks on ghetto tubless, 15 psi, 40mm rims, mech disks, internal hub...... perfect....!
    I like bikes and stuff
  • Sarnian
    Well I have settled on the color, and as I am having problems finding tyres at a price to fit my budget (and just finding 3inch tyres) I am going to use the 3.0 kenda flames I found In the back of my shed, don't know how I got them :shock: but I will try them out.

Still giving the gearing some thought.
  • Which beaches you planning on riding on?

We have a race over here on a Island where the roads are primarily soft sand. I used some old Maxxis High Roller semi slicks 2.25's Knobbly on the outside but with some small raised pyramid type grips on the inside part of the tire.

I found that if you got over 15mph then they don't dig in and "float" on top of the soft sand.

But that was on dry soft sand. might be different story on the wet soft sand.

Roquaine to L'eree is doable. I did it many years ago on a Raleigh Mustang. There were a couple of sections that I had to walk but with bigger tires you could probably do it. Have to be a low tide though.
  • Sarnian
    I have done a fare bit of riding on the beach over the years, start at Roquaine and go around the coast If I have to get off and do a bit of road then I will try and get back on as soon as I can.

I don't like doing It to often with my good bike's so I am going to build something I can throw about on the beach and maybe make It a bit more beach friendly.
  • Sarnian, you said you'd decided on the colour, but didnt actually say what colour it was?
  • Sarnian
    It's a surprise :D