Lemond vs Trek suit

123457»

Comments

• Vino
    Vino Posts: 184
    Der Kaiser,

EEs the best cyclist of generation more style in his little toe than in Armstrong whole postal team. ees travesty that not is team as strong. Also he is good bloke then and still. If he was Yankee doodle dumpling he would not persueds as much. would be glorious hero with PR and marketing.

Is a shame

Ave dewy Calves
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    Vino wrote:
    Der Kaiser,

EEs the best cyclist of generation more style in his little toe than in Armstrong whole postal team. ees travesty that not is team as strong. Also he is good bloke then and still. If he was Yankee doodle dumpling he would not persueds as much. would be glorious hero with PR and marketing.

Is a shame

Ave dewy Calves

Bet you weren't that Dewy when he was chasing you up a hill in the Vosges!

Strava is not Zen.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    dennisn wrote:
    [Searching for truth, even in a court of law, where truth is supposed to come out victorious can be a daunting task. Luckily in that trial it was obvious that the man was guilty according to the law. Key words "according to the law". The weird part is that I don't think the defendant even knew that the law that convicted him even existed. Or maybe that isn't so weird. Sorry, I'm rambling on.

I'm not sure what a judge says to a jury in the US, but in England (and probably Scotland too) they say the judge deals with issues of law, and the jury are there to judge the facts of the case. I'd assume the US legal system is similar. And it's up to the prosecution to prove the case.

This is not a court of law but you need to recognise that many people here look at a body of evidence and draw their conclusions. Different people draw different conclusions. Personal feeling may come into it but at the end of the day, if that's all there is you don't have a leg to stand on.

On this original topic, there's a collection of evidence about the Lemond / Trek thing. Some is widely known, some is not. Armstrong gets pulled into it as he is likely the catalyst for Trek not supporting Greg's brand (in Gregs opinion)

Happy to debate but when it's reduced to "you're just jealous" or someone who knows next to nothing about what's going on arguing then it's pointless.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    iainf72 wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    [Searching for truth, even in a court of law, where truth is supposed to come out victorious can be a daunting task. Luckily in that trial it was obvious that the man was guilty according to the law. Key words "according to the law". The weird part is that I don't think the defendant even knew that the law that convicted him even existed. Or maybe that isn't so weird. Sorry, I'm rambling on.

I'm not sure what a judge says to a jury in the US, but in England (and probably Scotland too) they say the judge deals with issues of law, and the jury are there to judge the facts of the case. I'd assume the US legal system is similar. And it's up to the prosecution to prove the case.

Here in the US the judge tells you what the law is. It is then up to the jury to decide if the defendant broke that law. The judge doesn't decide on guilt or innocence, or even comment on it(sort of a referee that keeps the trail moving). The judge in this particular trail did pass sentence(15 years) on the defendant. The prosecution portrayed the defendant as a hardened criminal and the defence said he was a victim of circumstance.
    It was very interesting. Not at all like on TV. Not quite that exciting.
  • iainf72
    dennisn wrote:
    It was very interesting. Not at all like on TV. Not quite that exciting.

Lots of waiting around :wink:

When I was on jury duty we got given guidance by the judge (to find not guilty as the law could not apply), a guilty and a not-guilty.
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    edited November 2009
    calvjones wrote:

MG

Why don't you hang out with people you actually like?

That's not a request, I'm just curious.[/quote]

I do hang around with people i like, not quite sure where the relevance is in asking me that question.If by that you mean i dislike people in this forum for having a different opinion than me then that's a nonsesical thing to say.If thats how you react and you dislike people for having different opinions then you are really quite shallow and need to rise above that. Dennis has been spot on that a lot of opinions being offered in here are purely based on a dislike of Lance as a person though how so many get so close to know what kind of person he really is is somewhat baffling. Again Dennis was right when he says as soon as some of you see Lance as a headline you are looking for ways to be critical and putting spin on it witness FrenchFighter with the ludicrous cricticms of Astana and Armstrong for not supplying AC with a wheel hell some of you were even critical when he went for a spin just along the road from me with some local cyclists. He may be an asshole maybe not but i dont know for sure and you sure as hell dont either.
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • iainf72
    Summary of what the judge said etc

http://nyvelocity.com/content/features/ ... 11-hearing
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    edited November 2009
    Reads much like a forum debate, with the judge as one of Moray's sheep!
    Quite telling: the lawyer's attitude to Armstrong ever testing positive.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • moray_gub
    Quite telling; the lawyer's attitude to Armstrong ever testing positive.

I though Trek's lawyer came across quite well in that exchange actually. Think i smell a settlement coming here though with Trek/Beezlebub (aka as Lance Armtrsong) accused of all sorts of covering up etc etc by the wooly ones.
  • Moray Gub wrote:
    Quite telling; the lawyer's attitude to Armstrong ever testing positive.

I though Trek's lawyer came across quite well in that exchange actually. Think i smell a settlement coming here though with Trek/Beezlebub (aka as Lance Armtrsong) accused of all sorts of covering up etc etc by the wooly ones.

Yes, I agree. An out of court settlement is definitely on the cards.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,481
    I don't know what the rules are with regard to a settlement, or what Lemond's motivations are, but it wouldn't surprise me if he rejected an out of court settlement and went for trial instead.
  • micron
    micron Posts: 1,843
    MG what are the million + who follow Armstrong on Twitter and all have avatars bearing an image of the yellow wristband? Are they wooly ones too or all free thinking individuals? :wink:
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    micron wrote:
    MG what are the million + who follow Armstrong on Twitter and all have avatars bearing an image of the yellow wristband? Are they wooly ones too or all free thinking individuals? :wink:

it's 2.2 million followers...more than Oprah, double Stephen Fry I think...guy is well known far outside of the small pro cycling world.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    micron wrote:

I've had people(that I know) ask me why I don't wear a Livestrong wrist band. I simply tell them that I don't want to. I don't plaster my car with bumper stickers. I don't hang all kinds of cr*p from my cars rear view mirror. I don't wear t-shirts with stuff on them about where I've been or what I've done or which Nascar driver I like. I don't buy sporting jerseys with some basketball or hockey players name on it. AND I don't wear cheap plastic wristbands. I personally find it somewhat weird that people wear these bands.
    It's almost(at least to me) as if they are trying to brag(for lack of a better word) a bit about themselves(almost an "I know Lance" thing) as opposed to actually supporting anything. However, if it helps with cancer, then have at it.
    Thanks for listening. I realize it was sort of a rant. :oops: :oops:
  • moray_gub
    andyp wrote:
    I don't know what the rules are with regard to a settlement, or what Lemond's motivations are, but it wouldn't surprise me if he rejected an out of court settlement and went for trial instead.

I suspect his motivation is hard cash he if he can wring a few mill out of Trek he will settle no question.
  • moray_gub
    micron wrote:

Just like this forum they will be a mixture of free thinking indivduals and a collection of wooly ones. Some affected by cancer some not some some want to show support and some just doing it to irritate people like yourself and others doing it to keep up to date with cycling stories and various other stuff to do with Lance .
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,481
    Moray Gub wrote:
    I suspect his motivation is hard cash he if he can wring a few mill out of Trek he will settle no question.

I'd taken that as I given, but I suspect he'd like to pursue the trial option especially as the judge indicated he may summon Armstrong to give evidence.
  • moray_gub
    andyp wrote:
    Moray Gub wrote:

I'd taken that as I given, but I suspect he'd like to pursue the trial option especially as the judge indicated he may summon Armstrong to give evidence.

I think Armstrong testyfying would be secondary to actually winning the case and GL getting a wad .Obviously if he doesnt settle and goes to trial without knowing the exact specifics he could lose so given the choice of the two i am pretty sure he is looking for a settlemment .
  • micron
    Apparently Lemond intimated at an event hosted by velocity that he had certain 'evidence' that was to be made public in the event of his untimely demise - wonder if he's willing to make that same 'evidence' available if/when Armstrong is called to testify? Must be v tempting...

MG guess my point was that none of us should be labelling people as 'sheep' or 'herd followers' - as we're all humans I doubt if there's any one of us who has the rigour to always pursue a certain line of argument. Bad people do good things sometimes - like flash mob rides and other nice gestures. Sure the PR is great and may head off awkward questions being asked but I think we're all probably independent enough of thought to not have a hrd and fast line on absolutely everything ;)

dennis, your post about the wristnands? +1 to that
  • moray_gub
    micron wrote:
    Apparently Lemond intimated at an event hosted by velocity that he had certain 'evidence' that was to be made public in the event of his untimely demise - wonder if he's willing to make that same 'evidence' available if/when Armstrong is called to testify? Must be v tempting...

MG guess my point was that none of us should be labelling people as 'sheep' or 'herd followers' - as we're all humans I doubt if there's any one of us who has the rigour to always pursue a certain line of argument. Bad people do good things sometimes - like flash mob rides and other nice gestures. Sure the PR is great and may head off awkward questions being asked but I think we're all probably independent enough of thought to not have a hrd and fast line on absolutely everything ;)

dennis, your post about the wristnands? +1 to that

Ok maybe the sheep anaolgy was a bit ott i take it back lets agree to disagree on this and move on .......lets talk cycling . Ok how do you think Lance will do when .................ok ok only joking :wink:
  • micron
    Agreed :lol:
  • iainf72
  • Looks like the judge has figured them out.
    Seems to be trying to force a settlement, but this does send a message.