Stinky cycling kit cures.

jerry3571
jerry3571 Posts: 1,532
edited February 2010 in Amateur race
Hello,
Someone had to ask so it ought to be me- is there any cure for cycling kit that is used frequently where there is a general clammy smell.
I try to use environmentally freindly stuff but wondered if anyone had a cure for this stench?
Cheers Jerry
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

"You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
-Jacques Anquetil

Comments

• GavH
    GavH Posts: 933
    Have you tried washing it? :wink:
  • Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    It's a problem with synthetic fibres - using Merino wool base helps
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • off and wash.

If you want to be environmentally friendly then wash it with tennis balls instead of detergent. If you don't want to wash it then try to dry it as quickly as possible.
  • jerry3571
    Are we talking real Tennis Balls or those green ball things you get in health food shops?
    -Jerry
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

-Jacques Anquetil
  • if you mean the green balls with the studs used for impact washing then i meant those, but tennis balls work just as well.
  • One third of a cap full of dettol disinfectant - Put it in one of those round ball things you get with washing detergents and put it in on top of the gear in the washing machine.
    Obviously fabric conditioner and eco washing powder is a given.
    Don't leave it in the washing machine when it's finished - cloths get smelly if left in the washing machine. Ie take them out to dry straight away.

Domesticate yourself.........
  • jerry3571
    What a conversation to have with us men (well, some of us maybe).
    I feel as though we are the repressed sex and should go out and burn our 2 for one vouchers and let our women get back to washing machine themselves!!
    Be honest though, my woman doesn't know how the machine works and she'll put my cycling gear on at 60c cos it smells. She's best left in bed; now where did I put those Tennis Balls?? :wink:
    Thanks chaps!
    -Jerry

-Jacques Anquetil
  • The season may be passed now - but drying in the sun helps. UV light is pretty powerful at killing bugs (however it also bleaches out colours).
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,114
    LittleB0b wrote:
    The season may be passed now - but drying in the sun helps. UV light is pretty powerful at killing bugs (however it also bleaches out colours).
    Wash and dry coloured clothes inside out, thus preventing colours having that washed out look.
  • BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    andyp wrote:
    LittleB0b wrote:
    The season may be passed now - but drying in the sun helps. UV light is pretty powerful at killing bugs (however it also bleaches out colours).
    Wash and dry coloured clothes inside out, thus preventing colours having that washed out look.
    You're sounding very well domesticated these days Andy. Have you learnt the art of putting a duvet cover on a duvet yet? - I seem to recall that domestic challenge was baffling you on one of the trips we did though I can't remember which one.

Ruth

ps. I saw Tony the other day and he, Ken and Dave all went touring in France again this summer.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,114
    edited November 2009
    BeaconRuth wrote:
    You're sounding very well domesticated these days Andy. Have you learnt the art of putting a duvet cover on a duvet yet? - I seem to recall that domestic challenge was baffling you on one of the trips we did though I can't remember which one.

Ruth

ps. I saw Tony the other day and he, Ken and Dave all went touring in France again this summer.
    I wasn't baffled by it, just couldn't do it without getting inside the duvet cover. :oops: Thankfully I've now mastered that one.

Will email you separately about Tony et al.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,589
    BeaconRuth wrote:
    andyp wrote:
    LittleB0b wrote:

Ruth

I managed to teach the mother-in-law how to change a duvet cover, can't believe she had never discovered the art of turning it inside out and rolling it over!
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    mickmc9 wrote:
    Obviously fabric conditioner and eco washing powder is a given.

Read the washing instructions on your stuff - technical clothing regularly specifies NO fabric conditioner as it makes waterproof stuff not waterproof and makes breathable stuff stop breathing
    mickmc9 wrote:
    Don't leave it in the washing machine when it's finished - cloths get smelly if left in the washing machine. Ie take them out to dry straight away.

This is the main thing. Get it dry quick, or it'll start to smell like a wet dog that's been in a canal.
    In Winter it'll happen if things are allowed to dry slowly - generally more of an issue with thicker stuff like towels rather than quick-dry cycling stuff.
    Worth putting stuff on the radiator or running the dehumidifier if the weather won't let you dry it outdoors, if it otherwise will take a day or two to dry indoors
  • JGS
    JGS Posts: 180
    I've found washing it with bicarb of soda instead of washing powder helps remove bad smells. Works best for stuff that's got that generally horrible "old sweat" smell, but also works for stuff that's been left to dry too long. I don't have a proper airing cupboard, but I do hang stuff in the recess where my boiler is and it helps dry stuff without being in direct contact with the heat (hanging on radiators is not recommended).
  • I wash my cycle stuff at 30c and add a cupful of cheap vinegar when the kit starts to smell. I don't know what it does but it stops it the damp wool aroma more effectively than just detergent alone.
  • Second the vinegar (put it in with the wash liquid or in the fabric conditoner tray)and dont use fabric softner (basically its cheap corn oil and cheap perfume)
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    LittleB0b wrote:

Stink and look pretty or be a little faded and people won't avoid you. :wink::wink:
  • i spray on some tesco anti bacterial kitchen cleaner on the armpit area, works a treat!
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    Base layers and the like smell like a wet dog if you use regular detergent - no matter how often you do it. It's because the detergent gets trapped in the fibres.

You need special stuff - Basewash is good. You can get it from ChainReaction or in hiking shops. A capful of that and all your stuff smells great.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • Jon8a
    Jon8a Posts: 235
    How expensive are your thermals and riding gear. I very occasionally put my stuff in a hot wash (>60C) which kills most things but also (unfortunately) the thermals themselves after a while.
  • solsurf
    solsurf Posts: 489
    Merino wool is the only thing you need, wash at 30 and never stinks. The only problem is that it is very expensive but lasts years (the good stuff) but worth every penny. Off out now in it, Really rubbish weather but it always does the job.
  • Ands
    Ands Posts: 1,437
    A couple of drops of Australian Tea Tree Oil in the wash works really well.. Or, if really bad, add several drops to a bowl of water and soak clothes overnight. It is one of nature's best disinfectants/fungicides.

Not sure where you can buy it from in the UK tho - probably a health shop? I think a lot of people use it for skin care/first aid.

I prefer to use this than washing at high temps. I've used it on good quality stuff like Assos without any detrimental effects.
  • G-Wiz
    G-Wiz Posts: 261
    The stuff that assos sell wit their shorts is awesome, even sorted out my helly hansen base layers which really ming after a bit no matter how good you are with them.

My missus used it on some proper manky shower curtains and they came out like new, now I have to hide it from her.