How tough are iPhones

2»

Comments

• Skonk
    Skonk Posts: 364
    Surf-Matt wrote:
    iphone - cr4p camera, flimsy, easy to scratch, hideous battery life and users for some reason feel the need to ram them down non users throats.

I have a mobile phone. It works well. It's not an iphone.

YIPEEE!!

I hate ipods too.

I suspect this is a bit of reverse snobbery going on here (simalar to what happens with bike snobs).

The phone has issues, as with most things but a lot of what your saying simply isn't true.

The camera is crap, I'll certainly give you that one but the screen is one of the most scratch resistant screens I have ever used on a portable device (i'm into photography so im used to the relativly delicate screens on cameras) and as I've explained in a couple of posts above, the battery life isn't bad.
    Canyon Spectral AL 9.0 EX
    Planet X RT90 Ultegra Di2
  • jayson
    jayson Posts: 4,606
    I dont think its snobbery at all, its a case of actually looking into what the phone is an realising that its playing catchup with alot of other phones and some of the 'new' features users are buying a whole new phone for have been available on other mobiles for years.
  • The camera is crap on all phones the new higher resolutions ones are worst as the size of the cmos alows so much noise on images.. gah..

But i do think the I-phone is over rated.. I have a smart phoe and still 90% of the time i use it for calls and texts so i have a qwerty keyboard on it now that is heaven.. touch screen keypads are always second for my to a good keypad
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    Try this - time from start to finish how long it takes you to text or make a call on your iphone. Then try it on a properly designed "normal" phone with an intuitive interface.

I guarantee that the normal phone will be finished way before the iphone, even if the iphone user refrains (very difficult) from styling his pointy, "ruffled" hair every four seconds.
  • I've found it to be pretty resilient, although I'd not trust leaving it naked and use a case for it when in my backpack. Trails is a good app for GPS tracking, although the realtime aspect only really works with 3G coverage - not something you tend to get in many forests!

Still, they're rubbish for making calls. Decent for texts. Good for Exchange, Google calendar, and dicking about on the internet.

Carry on :roll:
  • Skonk
    Skonk Posts: 364
    jayson wrote:
    I dont think its snobbery at all, its a case of actually looking into what the phone is an realising that its playing catchup with alot of other phones and some of the 'new' features users are buying a whole new phone for have been available on other mobiles for years.

Yes.. clearly no snobbery at all with comments like this one:

"I guarantee that the normal phone will be finished way before the iphone, even if the iphone user refrains (very difficult) from styling his pointy, "ruffled" hair every four seconds."

just a few posts down from yours.

It's a freaking phone, not a lifestyle choice.
    Canyon Spectral AL 9.0 EX
    Planet X RT90 Ultegra Di2
  • Panter
    Panter Posts: 299
    I love my iphone :wink:

I don't love the battery life, or the missing basic functionality, but I still love it :D
    Racing snakes. It's not big, and it's not clever ;)
  • dave_hill wrote:
    They don't like being run over.

Strangely enough neither to human beings, cows, deer, dogs, cats, sheep, goats, hedgehogs, squirrels, badgers, badgers, badgers, badgers, Mushrooms! Foxes, snakes, mice, bugs, other brands of mobile phones, wallets, RayBans, dentures, wristwatches, bike wheels, CDs, DVDs, 8 track cassette tapes, USB memory sticks, hubcaps, unread issues of WMB, MBUK and Playboy magazines..

A Nokia 5500 doesn't mind though :)

20061205-16.jpg

20061205-17.jpg

Was tempted by the iPhone, and now probably the N900, but it looks like I will have to stick the 5500 for using as a MTB GPS. :cry:
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    Skonk wrote:
    jayson wrote:

Yes.. clearly no snobbery at all with comments like this one:

"I guarantee that the normal phone will be finished way before the iphone, even if the iphone user refrains (very difficult) from styling his pointy, "ruffled" hair every four seconds."

just a few posts down from yours.

It's a freaking phone, not a lifestyle choice.

Well in that case, the massive marketing that goes into flogging them as something superior when they aren't has no effect whatsoever then.,..
  • I was thinking of getting one for hiking and biking, does it work with gloves on?
  • Panter
    Panter Posts: 299
    parkaboy wrote:
    I was thinking of getting one for hiking and biking, does it work with gloves on?

iPhone touch screen?

No...
    Racing snakes. It's not big, and it's not clever ;)
  • oh pity - no good for me then - cheers.