My front wheel needs a diet!

N0bodyOfTheGoat
N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 6,044
edited November 2009 in MTB general
Last night, I weighed myself (92Kg) and then held the front wheel of my Pylon8, to shockingly discover the weight of the complete wheel to be...

3Kg! :shock:

The breakdown of components on the wheel that I can name are:-
EX-S rims
36 spokes
Shimano HR-BM65 hub
Shimano BR-485 brake 160mm rotor
q/r skewer
Innertube
26"x1.75" Schwalbe Marathon Plus
Rainbow Racer
Reflector
15 spoke beads
Speedo magnet

Now I'm aware that my tyre is ~980g, but thats hell of a lot of weight when you think its possible to get 2Kg wheel sets!

Any (constructive) thoughts?
================
2020 Voodoo Marasa
2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
2016 Voodoo Wazoo

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    better scales. :wink:
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Lose the reflector...and the spoke beads :shock:
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    edited November 2009
    Wow that is heavy, a typical front wheel is under 1Kg (all 3 of mine and the daughters all are), your heavy tyre is 1Kg, add circa 125g for disc and 200g for tube and your still over by circa 700g.....

Why not remove the tyre and tube ane weigh each seperately (the wife lets me borrow the kitchen digital scales!)

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • _Ferret_
    _Ferret_ Posts: 660
    maybe you could let some air out of the tyres... :wink:

seriously though - what do you want?
    Do you have a budget?
    If you want to make a quick change I would change the tyre for something wider and lighter - Nobby Nic 2,4? but that depends on what you ride...
    Not really active
  • nicklouse
    edited November 2009
    _Ferret_
    it is not an MTB

B2358.jpg

it is a Hybrid Bike
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • The Rookie
    WTB slickasaurus, 26x1.5 550g.....

Most Hybrids have puncture resistance which is heavy, but by my above calc your still 700g heavy!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • i remember thinking my old wheelset was a good one and light, untill i weighed it and found the front to be 1200g! haha! rear was 1800!
    new wheelsety at 2kg = 1kg/2lbs saved straight away!

sadly i have no idea if hybrids use mtb or road wheels! but pretty sure you could save a considerable weight with some replacement wheels!
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • The Pylon8 takes 26" mtb wheels, upto at least 2.5" wide.

If I was to order a custom front wheel from Merlin, what would you guys recommend?

I'm tempted to use a Hope Pro 11 q/r disc hub, providing it can use my existing brake rotor that is secured by a lock ring.

Given my ~95Kg weight and the fact I like doing a little off-road (bridle paths; woodland trails... along with road), what rim and spokes would you recommend?
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • i dont think hope do a centre lock hub, but then you can get a disc for a tenner through 'bikefridge' on ebay!!
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • nicklouse
    again please try a better way of weighting the wheel

a Pro 2 over a shimano hub is not going to save a whole heap of weight and niether ia a rim change

tubes and tyres can make a big change but it looks like you have already done that from standard.
  • At the end of work today, this idea may have been put into touch...

New job does not have secure bike cage, been told personal bikes have been damaged/pinched from the open stands (with rain cover). Managers have let me put my Pylon8 in the training room indoors today, but I may need to start using the vunerable outdoors later this week. Given it is ~£800 bike (plus upgrades) to replace, I appear to have several options:-

Insure Pylon8 and get a gold standard lock eg. Abus Granite-X
    Buy a cheapy bike to use for work
    Use the company's Halfords cycle2work scheme to get something new!! :D

Now the only issue with c2w is a dilemma:-
    Do I buy the cheapy new commuter through this
    Buy a nice spec Fury/ Boardman Hybrid through this, not use it for work (naughty, I know) and then privately buy a cheapy commuter aswell :twisted:

Like nicklouse suggests, I could be horribly wrong with my wheel weight anyway and its not as if I am anything like a "weightweeny" , given the spare tyre around my waist!
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • buy a cheap old rat bike for work, no lock will stop thieves who actually want your bike.
  • nicklouse
    buy a cheap old rat bike for work, no lock will stop thieves who actually want your bike.

+1
  • colintrav
    colintrav Posts: 1,074
    At 3kg

Just admit you eat more than your willing to Admit

And Spoke beads Why on earth more common with wee girls bikes
  • Spoke beads are a new addition, to vocalise my bike sutly at slow speeds, while using an underpass or in the warehouse.

Colin, anyone who knows me in person knows I enjoy my food, I hate food going to waste after buffet parties for example. I get major carbohydrate cravings in the winter months, one of the more mild side effects of my S.A.D., which I hope my postie job will help keep under control from a calorie perspective ;)
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I bet is is more lik2 2.5kg - scales are often way out!

Hub 250g
    Rim 600g (I had one, they are heavy)
    Spokes 250g
    Disc 150g
    Tyre 980g
    Skewer 100g
    Tube 300g

Then nipples, rim tape ;-)
  • Hercule Q
    Hercule Q Posts: 2,781
    fill your tyre with helium ;)

pinkbike
    Blurring the line between bravery and stupidity since 1986!
  • The Rookie
    Halo bolt through skewers - 31g front.....

Never had a 26" 300g tube though - about 200g surely, although my mates 36er had tubes weighing 500g ea, now on 250g 29er tubes.

Simon
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I've had 26er tubes over a pound in weight.