Marin 2010

The Big Cheese
The Big Cheese Posts: 8,651
edited November 2009 in MTB general
Was just taking a look through the 2010 UK site, and have noticed a few things...

SRAM feature on a lot of the new bikes, X9/X0 over XTR/XT

The new Indian Fire Trail, is the exact same frame as my US Team Issue (with different livery) but scandium nonetheless, and comes under the new category 'racelight' which the US have been using for the last year or so. Interesting. But to compensate for the new frame, they have put the price of the bike up by £450 from last years RRP of £1499.99. Classically the IFT had XT/XTR, now has X9/Truvativ - I think I prefer XTR/XT TBH (but that's just me)

The 'Hydrolight' category still exists, but has been bumped into second place, and features the Eldridge Grade, Nail trail etc. Now these are the same frames as the 2008/9 IFT... and feature XT/SLX components.

Albeit a year behind, Marin UK are starting to catch on for 2010!!!

Obviously Marin US are going to be ahead of the UK, but there should be unified products both sides of the pond.

Some great looking bikes out there, the attack trail avalanche is going to be a winner, but the price hikes are alarming in the current financial market.

Marins entry level bikes will always continue to offer poor value for money, component-wise and will be overlooked in favour of rival manufacturers offerings.

It's all here:
http://www.marin.co.uk/2010/home.php

Cheesey

Comments

• Rocky Ridge minus Fox? I'm glad I got the 2008 model!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Marin
    SS Inbred
    Mongoose Teocali Super
  • Nout wrong with the Revelations, but odd that they have changed a winning combination, and increased the price...
  • That seems to be the trend at the moment down spec every bike and up the price.
  • Nout wrong with the Revelations, but odd that they have changed a winning combination, and increased the price...

I know, but the Vanillas are a great fork. The price increase is unbelievable in the space of two years! :?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Marin
    SS Inbred
    Mongoose Teocali Super
  • I know it's shocking. I still can't believe how they can justify the price of some of their low-mid end bikes with the shite components on there.

Well, the top of the line Quake has increased from £3200 to ~£4000 in 2 years !!

Marin Indian Fire Trail (for example - and this is a weird one)

2007 £1699.99
    2008 the same
    2009 £1499.00 (a DROP in price but with crappier wheels and brakes/shifters)
    2010 £1950.00 (£450 increase because of the Scandium frame and with SRAM components)

The Attack Trail Avalanche price is shocking! £3200 IIRC
  • Andy
    Andy Posts: 8,207
    Why would anyone want to buy a Marin anyway? Giant is what the cool kids buy!
  • Andy wrote:

So why have you got one then :wink:
  • Andy
    Are you telling me that this -

8419_150779417047_504332047_2587850_1797877_n.jpg

doesnt scream cool to you?
  • to be really cool it has to be built in England.
  • Andy
    I did build that bike in England.
  • cool 8)
  • Ahhhh the ol' pink jersey, brings back such warm memories.... :wink:
  • Andy
    Actually, thats just a matching gillet :wink:
  • Andy wrote:

Well I've got 3 Marin's and my Mum says I'm cool.
    As for Marin 2010, there is some very nice bikes there, not sure I like what they've done with the new Wolfridge...I mean Attack Trail... the gusset that used to be between the top and bottom tube was a lot nicer than one single brace. Also the bird sh1t style graffiti graphics look poo IMO.
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • I'm just building up a 2007 IFT: I assume the scandium frame is either stronger, lighter or both but I prefer the 6061 hydroformed whatsit alloy jobs for looks
  • I have the 2009 scandium team issue frame (new) and prior to that I had the 2007 IFT which I adored. Mac (above) is the new owner and shall building it up soon, gorgeous frames and the hydro-forming is second-to-none. VERY light.

Whether or not the £450 price-hike is justified on the new IFT is debatable.

The scandium frame is lighter and does have some interesting tubing cross section. Here's a link to my build:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... sc&start=0

Check back for Mac's progress as he'll be doing his soon ;)
  • were can you buy these frames new from?
  • Well, basically you can't (in the UK anyway)

Got it from a Marin dealer in manchester. Got an email from them saying they had just received the team issue frame and new I was after one. They said it was the only one in the UK (team issue frames are USA only) that ATB sales (Marin Distributor) had imported.

I then phoned up ATB sales to register the frame and I asked a few questions. The frame had originally been shipped from USA for one of the German Marin Team riders, but somehow, it ended up in the UK. Thus the story ends... that's how I got the frame, the bad part is you won't be able to get one, they are not special order, this was just a one off.

:wink:
  • Rocky Ridge minus Fox? I'm glad I got the 2008 model!

My Nail Trail has assumed a higher position this year, and got fox! Sods law eh, although the white one I have is way sexier than the new one looks wise.
    Start Weight 18st 13lbs March 2009
    17st 10lbs August 2009
    17st 4lbs October 2009
    15st 12lbs December 2010

Final planned weight 12st 7lbs
  • That team issue build certainly is a sweet looking ride - & at 20 lbs (20lbs!) I get the point...