Hoooooowwww Much?????

dave_hill
dave_hill Posts: 3,877
edited November 2009 in MTB general
Thirteen f**king pounds for a (yes one) FSA headset bearing! They're having a laught!! I'm seriously considering giving this game up and going to back to shooting, its a lot cheaper... :x
Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
Help for Heroes
JayPic

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    which headset?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • dave_hill
    No idea. It just says FSA on the top cap, semi integrated jobby.
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Ok then what was the bearing code?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • dave_hill wrote:
    ... Seriously considering giving this game up and going to back to shooting, its a lot cheaper... :x

Well, in that case, that'll make your £13 for a bearing look like a pure bargain! Just out of interest, what kinda shooting? Surely not target rifles - they are basically money-pits!

I'd guess clay pigeon?
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    can you not just degrese it and repac it with grease..

when we changed the forks on my brother chameleon the other week the bearings in his canecreek hs were gritty and rough, they wanted £35 for new ones, fooooook that i,m a tight northerner, i managed to remove the seal clean and regrease them, it worked to,,,,
    and saved £35.... :oops:
  • dave_hill
    nicklouse wrote:
    Ok then what was the bearing code?

Meh? And don't ask me to check now, its fitted.
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • dave_hill
    delcol wrote:
    can you not just degrese it and repac it with grease..

That's why I had to buy a new one - took the old one out (it was the top one oddly - the bottom one's fine), poked the seals out, squirted it full of degreasing solvent and as I was drying it off it just disintegrated. It was fubared to be fair though.
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • dave_hill
    Surely not target rifles - they are basically money-pits!

I'd guess clay pigeon?

Clays (second hand shotties are where it's at - my mate's just taken a massive hit on a five year old Browning Silver Pigeon last week, he only got £500 for it - cost him over £6k second user four year ago... :shock: ) and gas blow-back practical pistol.

I used to shoot real practical pistol back in the day until that c**t in Dunblane spoiled it all. :evil:

I have an air-rifle for rabbiting and squirrels too although I haven't been out for a couple of years now, there's been a lot of mixxy round my neck of the woods.
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    ah. right...
    so it,s not just me that happens to,, i tried to bring life back into my amazing excellent top quality raceface bottom braket, i removed the seal and it fell to pieces in my hand. giving me instant torrests,...
    it's not like a raceface botom braket to fail is it....
  • dave_hill wrote:
    I have an air-rifle for rabbiting and squirrels too although I haven't been out for a couple of years now, there's been a lot of mixxy round my neck of the woods.
    Nothing quite like eating whatever you caught / shot on the same day, after you prepared and cooked it... Mmmm...

100% organic, free-range food FTW!

Besides, only REAL men catch, prepare and cook their food 8)
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • Price's are extortionate, I looked for a master cylinder service kit for my hayes 9's £35 quid - you can buy the whole levr for £70 ! Plus £1.99 for a single approx 7mm retaining washer - come on that is an absolute pi** take !!

As for headsets the answer is simple, buy some ball bearings from a motor factor or something, remove the bearing cage add a few extra in and pack with grease.
  • Dazzza
    Dazzza Posts: 2,364
    I am quite lucky in that i live next to an industrial estate, not as bad as it sounds!! anyway i can usually nip into brammer bearings and can get most things off the shelf for far less than the usual bunch charge.

And you'd be right they are ripping us off, i needed a very tiny o ring for my formulas as it's a seal for where you bleed, it's ridiculously tiny anyway sure enough i got a bag of 10 of the things for.....nothing apparently they asked for some samples to be sent their way, top fellas!!

http://www.brammer.co.uk/default.aspx
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
    Giant Anthem X
  • _Ferret_
    _Ferret_ Posts: 660
    What headset it is?
    you can almost buy a new one for that much!
    Not really active
  • just buy replacement cartridge bearings from a bearing shop, will cost you basically nothing.
  • target rifle, the wannabe man gun
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    Yeah, too much coin for bearings...
    Been looking for 27.2 seatpost, and saw the Seven Ti seatpost. Perfect....Not!
    £225, for a seatpost? Wot's it do, drag up up hills, give you "Peaty Powers" down and clean your bike/butt after?

Why are we being ripped off in biking? VAT, Import, Post + Packing, Exchange rate...the price of rice in China???

I know of a Mtb components company, who no longer trades, because the UK importers/bike shops upped the price of a Trade £50 Hub to over £125 quid retail.
    I got this from the companies owner, and I actually saw these being made in the US.

Pure greed, profiteering, leading to the loss of a great component maker. Luckily, I've still got my "free" samples, and the hubs, brakes, stems all work, 15yrs later.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    The seatpost isn't a rip-off, just choose to buy a cheaper one, problem solved!

Same with anything else, if you can get something better/the same for less then buy that instead. You can't buy something and then moan that it was overpriced, else you wouldn't have bought it! Ahh, the joys of a (relatively) free market.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    as said before....get the bearing code...contact your local bearing services....be prepared to only spend a couple of quid instead of upwards of £15
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • colintrav
    colintrav Posts: 1,074
    dave_hill wrote:
    Surely not target rifles - they are basically money-pits!

I'd guess clay pigeon?

Clays (second hand shotties are where it's at - my mate's just taken a massive hit on a five year old Browning Silver Pigeon last week, he only got £500 for it - cost him over £6k second user four year ago... :shock: ) and gas blow-back practical pistol.

I used to shoot real practical pistol back in the day until that c**t in Dunblane spoiled it all. :evil:

Am surprised your mate only got 500 for it consider Browning is a recognised name and has a excellent resale like Holland and Holland and the Italian maker Beretta

You can go Dove shootin in Argentina for a 1 per bird ... Tht's the cheapest I've seen offered

Game shooting is uber expensive wouldn't you agree ?? Especially in this Country and a good shotgun can cost as much 20grand and upwards mainly aimed at those that has the cash to spend ...

Do you ever buy that Quaterly magazine Sporting gazette / Field sports ?
  • dave_hill
    _Ferret_ wrote:
    What headset it is?
    you can almost buy a new one for that much!

Think that one's been covered already... :shock:
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • dave_hill
    cee wrote:
    as said before....get the bearing code...contact your local bearing services....be prepared to only spend a couple of quid instead of upwards of £15

Not really an option when the bearing collapses at lunchtime on Saturday and you need the bike up and running for Sunday morning...

And besides which my local bearing dealer has never seen these type before (and before anybody says use a different dealer, I trust his judgement implicitly, I've been dealing with him for 15 years or more).
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • cee
    ^^^^

my local bearings lot shut at 12 on a saturday, so in that situation, it would be phoning around bike shops to see who had them at full ripoff i mean retail price....

also..confused why you wouldn't try another bearing services outlet to get bearings that do exist, but that your current guy hasn't seen before?? His judgement is clearly wrong...as the bearings do exist...you got them from a bike shop i presume?? ar you thinking that they are a bearing that doesnt exist outside of the bike industry world or something else?
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • dave_hill
    cee wrote:
    also..confused why you wouldn't try another bearing services outlet to get bearings that do exist, but that your current guy hasn't seen before??

Again, because of the timing - all the possible outlets round here either aren't open on a Saturday or shut at lunchtime.
    cee wrote:
    You got them from a bike shop i presume??

Correct, as it was the only option left open to me. And it was their last one.
    cee wrote:
    ar you thinking that they are a bearing that doesnt exist outside of the bike industry world or something else?

Well given a search of both the SKF and Toyo catalogues has turned up a blank (neither have a 1.125" or whatever the dimension is internal bore angular contact bearing of any sort) it kinda stacks up...
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • cee
    i see

H.G. Wells.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Mind you, some pay £1200 for a simple single pivot frame ;-)