winter blues

delcol
delcol Posts: 2,848
edited November 2009 in MTB general
anyone else suffering from the winter blues yet, it's only early november and i'm already peeeeeeeeeeesed off,,,
the weather ooooop north has been crap for the past 9 days, last weeks end was a wash out and windy as hell and today it rained pretty much all day, through the week we had some floods locally... it seems a lifetime ago since i was last out riding, since i got back from whistler beging of oct i only been out once, hell i only cycled to work twice, i normally cycle every night,,
am i becoming soft in my old age or have i just got the winter blues?

i don't mind it being cold i don't mind the mud,, i just don't seem to have the enthusiam i had just a month ago....
is it just me, or is anyone else feeling the blues.....

tomorrow i will mtfu and get out, to beat the dreaded winter blues... :twisted:

Comments

• robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    It's called Initial Effort Syndrome. :wink:
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    I don't mind being cold or wet (well actually I'd prefer to be wet than cold, but that's another story), what pisses me off is all the cleaning and tidying up after the event. It takes forever!!
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • dave_hill wrote:
    ... What pisses me off is all the cleaning and tidying up after the event. It takes forever!!
    Don't then! :wink:

Maybe that's why I get through so many bearings / pads / cables etc etc... :lol: :oops:
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    Don't then! :wink:

When I spend the best part of a months salary on bikes, parts and clothing I want them to last, so they get cleaned. Plus I hate mess. Bit of OCD I think... :shock:
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • Yeah, I feel the pain of the bottomless-pit for money that bikes can quite quickly, and easily become...

My bikes aren't cheap, and to be fair, I do look after them really. My OCD too...

*runs off to straighten something that isn't quite aligned properly...*
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • meh, my drivetrain was a little far gone to swap a chain before the leaves turned, but i'm now going to run it into the ground over the winter and stick on new in the spring.

Run full outers and look after bearings makes life more bearable. Also night riding rules, i think i'm going to keep doing it over the summer as well!
  • Whytepeak
    Whytepeak Posts: 2,616
    I'm feeling Pretty run down at the moment too, though I'll get out tomorrow, even if I have to get up at 8pm :shock: ...so much work to do.

The weather is just unbearable some times - though its alright once you get out in it.

Time to buy some winter tyres and just work towards crimbo... :roll:
    Now that we are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak and not to please ourselves. ROMANS 15:1
  • ooooooooo 8am la de daaa....

MTFU

I was up at 5 this morning after 2-3 hours sleep, and i'll be up at 6:30-7am tomorrow.
  • Whytepeak
    I was being sarcastic senor...

do you honestly think I'd be seen up before 11pm?
    Now that we are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak and not to please ourselves. ROMANS 15:1
  • ride_whenever, he said senor, so he may have meant señor... Are you Spanish? :lol:

Also I'm up at the same time as you tomorow, and have had a similar, minimal amount of sleep... Meh, we're all men, just gotta MTFU about it all... :lol:
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • Whytepeak
    ride_whenever
    :roll:

I refer you Bob Dylan's 'Señor (Tales Of Yankee Power)'

:lol:

Just looked at tomorrows weather report - grim :( - the crudcatchers are going on...
  • Hercule Q
    Hercule Q Posts: 2,781
    i want to go riding in the rain but my mates appear to be afaid of getting their bikes dirty or riding over wet roots :? What a bunch of pansys!

pinkbike
    Blurring the line between bravery and stupidity since 1986!
  • colintrav
    colintrav Posts: 1,074
    delcol wrote:
    anyone else suffering from the winter blues yet, it's only early november and i'm already peeeeeeeeeeesed off,,,
    the weather ooooop north has been crap for the past 9 days, last weeks end was a wash out and windy as hell and today it rained pretty much all day, through the week we had some floods locally... it seems a lifetime ago since i was last out riding, since i got back from whistler beging of oct i only been out once, hell i only cycled to work twice, i normally cycle every night,,
    am i becoming soft in my old age or have i just got the winter blues?

i don't mind it being cold i don't mind the mud,, i just don't seem to have the enthusiam i had just a month ago....
    is it just me, or is anyone else feeling the blues.....

tomorrow i will mtfu and get out, to beat the dreaded winter blues... :twisted:

It cracks me up that some poeple will complain if it's cold and wet or both ,, What are yee's men or mice

Spare a few moments thought for those stationed out in Afghanistan , They get on with the job in all weathers ...
  • i'm bi-polar so it can get really Sh*t this time of year, but gotta keep riding and smiling!
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,098
    going to treat the singlespeed to a service & then wreck it over the winter with night rides after work

Save the Orange for sunday best
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    I packed on the bike lights and went out exploring some new single track on my bill Friday after work.

Got utterly lost in a farmers field.

Wrapped up like I was preparing for a hurricane and defeated the worst of the Yorky weather - and was the only person doing so!

Found a pretty decent new descent spoilt only by my staring at an OS map in the dark to figure out why I was sat in someone's driveway half way down (the owner stood behind a curtain spying on me not reasling I could see him plain as day 8) )

Absolutely damn well loved it. Winter riding has unique rewards so MTFU!
  • For anyone clinically undiagnosed, who notice a seaonal pattern to such things as:-

Depression
    Erratic sleep/ patterns/ non-refreshed in morning
    Anti-social
    Poor anxiety/stress management
    Carbohydrate cravings
    etc. etc.

affecting them typically September-April, you may have Seasonal Affective Disorder...
    http://www.lumie.com/forum/

(Lumie are one of the best SAD lightbox manufactors)
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • delcol
    colin trav. they get paid for it,,, i'm out side 8 hours a night 5 nights a week, in all weathers, why cause it's my job and thats what i get paid to do....

got over it today found some mtfu.. i rediscovered my testicals(balls) was up @ 5am and out for six, went for a play round lee quarry,,, even the rain couldn't put me off as i headed home from the missus to get my bike. i was determined i was going out, and did ..
    was it cold. yes
    was it wet very
    was it muddy yes very.
    didi it spoil my fun,, no way.

i got wet muddy cold, went over the bars and even found out how slippery and dangerous wet wood is(north shore..) think prison soap very slippey and very dangerous.
    for some unknown reason i thought i would ride over the logs crossing the big pond i was 98% across was just about to hit the other side and my front wheel slid from under me and put me in the knee deep pond.

even this couldn't dampen my spirits,, ( no pun intended)

had an amazing day, no more winter blues just get out on the bike and ride..
  • Whytepeak
    delcol wrote:
    for some unknown reason i thought i would ride over the logs crossing the big pond i was 98% across was just about to hit the other side and my front wheel slid from under me and put me in the knee deep pond.

even this couldn't dampen my spirits,, ( no pun intended)

had an amazing day, no more winter blues just get out on the bike and ride..

Exactly what happened to Danny a couple of weeks ago at LQ :lol: , brilliant place to ride and session though.

Well done for getting out - I stayed in all day :( the pathetic fallosy is kicking in. Think I'll go out on the roadie after school tomorrow. :)
  • delcol
    yeah was sessioning the huck line,, and playing on the berms trying my damed hardest to backside the tables,, it were'nt happening,, think they need some spade work to reshape the lips....
    the final bit of single track from the top is awesome, rail the rock garden and flow all the way to the gates... such a flowing section of singletrack....

got some video footage of todays ride will post it up onece i get it edited and uploaded,..
  • Whytepeak
    The jumps can be hard to clear over those berms - managed it once, though I think that was wind assisted :lol:. There is a line that you can roll off a rise, which gives you that bit more speed into the jumps. Think the lip of the double has been smoothed off though - harder to clear than it was before.

The last bit of trail through the woods is good fun. :)

The brownbacks events there are really good too. Looking forward to next visit already. :D

Look forward to the vids, got a few up on bookface.
  • delcol
    yeah i know the roll in you mean,, was considering it today... speed was not really an issue i just could not pop out of the lip or lack of a lip,,, in the end i was physically bunyhopping to get any air,,,
    the hip is cool and the double at the end, is good it sends you perfectly..
    the last table before you hit the little forest is the best, , i back sided it with out even trying first go,,, defo need to take a spade next time to go to work on those tables..
    i quite fancy a night mission a the quarry, maybe undercover of darkness i could do some handy spade work
  • Mark909
    Mark909 Posts: 456
    delcol wrote:
    yeah i know the roll in you mean,, was considering it today... speed was not really an issue i just could not pop out of the lip or lack of a lip,,, in the end i was physically bunyhopping to get any air,,,
    the hip is cool and the double at the end, is good it sends you perfectly..
    the last table before you hit the little forest is the best, , i back sided it with out even trying first go,,, defo need to take a spade next time to go to work on those tables..
    i quite fancy a night mission a the quarry, maybe undercover of darkness i could do some handy spade work

while you're at it build up the corners on the last downhill section. They'd be so much better bermed!
  • jools182
    jools182 Posts: 216
    I definitely lack motivation when the weather is like this

Cold and damp and dull all day

Really have to force myself to get the bike out