cccoold Saturday morning ride video.......

Ska!
Ska! Posts: 39
edited December 2009 in MTB general
It's getting cold here in Canada but we're still getting out there. I had the camera rolling for this one. Just thought I'd share it and give you three minutes of entertainment.

Click here for the ride video

The next time I roll the camera there should be snow on the ground :-([/url]

Comments

• ads4
    ads4 Posts: 698
    Great video, thanks :)
    Adam.

Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

Current ride - Yeti ASR 5a X0
  • Nice video and the trail looks great, slowing and fast
    I also love the fact you have a bike trailer too, quite unheard of here in the UK..
  • Ska!
    Thanks!

Yeah, the trailer belongs to Steve P. (the driver) and it is sweet on so many levels. It's simple, incredibly stable (you really wouldn't believe it), can fit four bikes with loads of room to spare which leaves the car with nothing but free space for the riders. Steve actually built it himself back when he was travelling and downhilling a lot and needed the room. He is far more talented than I am with a welder and has some serious, serious fabricating skills. He's pretty damn good.

Personally I've always used a roof rack but like them less and less all the time. I will switch to a hitch mount or possibly acquire a trailer myself as Steve has offered to build another one for me as well. Who knows....
  • Great vid, like too see it in the snow. Do you normally have snow this early in the year?
  • Sweet vid dude. Nicely edited too imho.

Forgive me for being a bit of a mong, but did you use 4/5 different cameras, or did you just keep stopping and switching angles on 1 camera?

If you were switching the angle/rider on 1 camera, how easy is it to mount?

Was this done on the Go-pro wide?
  • Sweet vid dude. Nicely edited too imho.

Forgive me for being a bit of a mong, but did you use 4/5 different cameras, or did you just keep stopping and switching angles on 1 camera?

Good question, I also asked myself that question when watching the video
    Also with an alias like "Ska!" I was expecting a soundtrack by The Specials, The Beat or Madness :)
  • jools182
    jools182 Posts: 216
    nice vid and nice tune too
  • colintrav
    colintrav Posts: 1,074
    Ska! wrote:
    It's getting cold here in Canada but we're still getting out there. I had the camera rolling for this one. Just thought I'd share it and give you three minutes of entertainment.

Click here for the ride video

The next time I roll the camera there should be snow on the ground :-([/url]

Good video I would have preferred to hear the natural sounds instead of the music TBH ,

What kind of cams did you use for this
  • Ska!
    O.K. Looks like I have a few questions to answer here.........I’ll try to keep it short.

Snow this time of year? Used to have lots by now but times are changing temperature wise: that’s a fact. We've seen it.

As far as the camera goes, I used only one GoPro Wide mounted in several different positions on my bike (downtube, seatpost, helmet etc.) and also a couple of times on my friend’s seatpost only. Basically, all the footage was shot by me except when you see the guy in the black jacket and white helmet (me) following. For the “ride-past” shots it was mounted to a tree branch and angled accordingly.

I should mention though that these films take a little work to get good footage (lots of stopping and swapping and turning and repeating and.......you get the idea) so I can’t see myself making a billion of them. I have a TON of ideas to try out but to find a day where a lot of stopping won’t drive anyone nuts (including myself) is tough. I just want to ride. On this occasion however, I forewarned Steve of my plans and since he wasn’t feeling 100% he was all for multiple stops. It all worked out well.

Now for the Ska! reference; my wife and I are big music junkies and ska certainly has its place in our collection amongst many other styles (I even used to play bass in a ska band years ago) however, S.K.A. also happens to be my initials hence the handle. The exclamation point is just to show how that music makes me feel.

If I were to use a ska song it would have to be Pressure Drop by Toots & The Maytals. I have thought about using it in a summer lakeside commute video I’m dreaming up. We’ll see. All I know is a sunset will be involved if I do it.

A video without music?? Not when using a GoPro - that’s for sure. The sound quality blows.

p.s. thanks for the kind words!
  • awesome shots, great vid! nice crash also :D
  • Ska!
    awesome shots, great vid! nice crash also :D

Hey Terry,

Just wondering about your signature which reads "Mmm Salsa's". Since this is a bike sight, are you referring to the bikes? If so, coincidently, this film was shot aboard my Salsa Elsanto. I retired my Dekerf two seasons ago and built up the Salsa. Not a bad bike. It's fun enough and functions well. We'll see how long I keep it though. I miss steel.
  • Ska! wrote:

Hey Terry,

Just wondering about your signature which reads "Mmm Salsa's". Since this is a bike sight, are you referring to the bikes? If so, coincidently, this film was shot aboard my Salsa Elsanto. I retired my Dekerf two seasons ago and built up the Salsa. Not a bad bike. It's fun enough and functions well. We'll see how long I keep it though. I miss steel.

Oh... how dare you, i want an el santo! haha, it says whats on the tin, i'm restoring my ala carte, its brilliant and full 853 steel, yummy!

I'm re-building my website and will be posting pics up of my bikes in the next few weeks hopefully, the salsa's not built at the moment as storage space is limited but there'll be snaps of everything and the frame respray.
  • Ska!
    edited November 2009
    Ska! wrote:

Oh... how dare you, i want an el santo! haha, it says whats on the tin, i'm restoring my ala carte, its brilliant and full 853 steel, yummy!

I'm re-building my website and will be posting pics up of my bikes in the next few weeks hopefully, the salsa's not built at the moment as storage space is limited but there'll be snaps of everything and the frame respray.

Gotta love that 853! That's what I'm thinking of going back to. The El Santo is nice but I'm not as pumped on the whole fs thing as much as I thought I might be. If I do go back, I'll just update the Dekerf and off I go again. I still love that bike big-time. The Ala Carte is a stellar ride as well. Get that thing rollin' brother!

The pic below is of my El Santo the day I finished building it.

elsanto11.jpg
  • i can't wait to move to build it, thats a nice color and design! a lot of people have said the same thing about the ride from FS to me, the second idea is to get a good set of forks for the ala carte as its a full ridgit atm. A good investment as the frame is ace!
  • Ska!
    i can't wait to move to build it, thats a nice color and design! a lot of people have said the same thing about the ride from FS to me, the second idea is to get a good set of forks for the ala carte as its a full ridgit atm. A good investment as the frame is ace!

Try it rigid........you never know. A friend of mine rides a SS 29r that is fully rigid. He leaves us in the dust with it too. He's a machine though....
  • Ska! wrote:
    Try it rigid........you never know. A friend of mine rides a SS 29r that is fully rigid. He leaves us in the dust with it too. He's a machine though....

Money wise its the option, my winter bikes rigid and i can thrash it on the tracks. I like the response of a rigid
  • RealMan
    RealMan Posts: 2,166
    Liked the video, and liked the song. Looked like a nice place to ride.
  • willy b
    willy b Posts: 4,125
    Really nice video mate. Well done!
  • Ska!
    Thanks! I'm getting ready to do another winter riding one but need to get through this minor health issue at present. It's pissing me off as it's keeping me off the bike. I'll post a link when I get it done.