Riders in East Devon/West Dorset

ljose
ljose Posts: 3
edited November 2009 in MTB rides
Just wandered if there are any riders/clubs in the East Devon/West Dorset area. Moving there soon so have to give up my old bike club and don't want to turn into a big fatty!

Comments

• Hercule Q
    Hercule Q Posts: 2,781
    theres exeter moutain bike club, thats the only one that springs to mind at the mo

pinkbike
    Blurring the line between bravery and stupidity since 1986!
  • KonaKurt
    KonaKurt Posts: 720
    :)

I too am also about to move near to that area next month, and hope to be doing quite alot of my riding around there. I know the area very well. A nice variety of terrain to ride, some flat, some coastal, some hills, and some amazing downhills!

Feel welcome to send me a message :)

KK.
  • Hercule Q
    where abouts in east devon are you?

pinkbike
  • ljose
    ljose Posts: 3
    Thanks for replies.

I am living near Dorchester at the moment but me and my fiance are moving to a place Nr Axminster quite soon.

Is Exeter a 'serious' club? not overly keen on riding with super competetive riders as I quite like just riding for fun.
  • Hercule Q
    i don''t know what they're like cos i dont ride with a club i just go up woodbury common whenever i can with my mates

pinkbike
  • I used to ride at a spot call Shute Woods (probably spelt differently) just outside Axminster. Nothing special but better than nothing.
  • billysan
    billysan Posts: 575
    I grew up in Axminster and only left the area a year ago.

There are a couple of reasonable places to ride locally. As already mentioned Shute is ok, you're got Morganhayes up on top of the hill near Colyton and Southleigh. And a bit further afield you've got Holden just the other side of Exeter.

Club wise, the local cycling club is actually the Axe Valley Peddalers. And although they market themselves as a social/road club, there are a few mountain bikers within. There arnt really any MTB specific clubs other than the exeter lot within thta area Im afraid.

Its a gorgeous area though. There is a fantastic bike shop in Colyton called Soanes Cycles. There are loads of road riders in the area too if you're tempted to give that a go.

Give me a pm if you want any more info.
  • had
    had Posts: 1
    There is a mountain bike club - see
    http://www.sdmbc.org.uk/