Trailside litter

geordiefreerider
geordiefreerider Posts: 888
edited November 2009 in MTB general
At Dalby on wednesday for the first time, really enjoyed the ride with my mate and met a couple of nice lads who we stuck with for a bit, but one thing I noticed, and it really boils my pi**, was the amount of rubbish I saw around the trails - empty bottles, bar wrappers, crisp packets.....

I can only assume it's dropped mostly by mountain bikers, but for the life of me cant work out why, its not as if its any effort to put it back in your pack and carry it back to the car !!

Litter is ugly, lets try and keep the trails tidy so evrybody can enjoy them.

Comments

• XxxBFGxxX
    XxxBFGxxX Posts: 1,355
    +1

we dont want to give ppl a reason to shut our riding trails down
  • yes i quite agree , its just as easy to put it back in your hydration/backpack as it is to take it out . . . but it also would'nt harm to put ramdom litter bins around trails to try and encourage people to use them more often .
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Wrappers and bottles are heavier when they're empty you know :roll: Can hardly remember a ride when i didn't bring home someone else's litter.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • all litter sucks but why on earth do some mountain bikers decide that when they have a puncture it's OK to throw the old tube into a tree? fecking mindless idiots..

mind you - I suppose it's not much worse than the people who hang little plastic bags full of dog eggs on every branch/fencepost.
  • Aye, im afraid it's a sign of our declining society or some b*llocks like that, I mean im no tree hugging eco warrior but I think the countryside should be appreciated.

And yes I agree about the inner tubes being discarded as well but look on the bright side, given enough time you wont need to wear body armour there will be so much rubber by the trailside your just gonna bounce right back up !! :lol:
  • there IS a problem putting bins all over a forest though. it's a forest, and when we/you're not there things live there. well, they do when we're there they just tend ot keep out the way.

if you put bins there then someone has to empty them, that might be possible on some trails but not all, unless you fit a wheelie bin to the back of your bike? It ecourages people to bring litter with them anyway, and if theyr'e full then you end up getting huge piles of cr4p around them.

my wife once saw someone drop a bottle on the ground rather than take it the 100 yards or so back to their car, so picked it up, followed them and tipped it in their car window. she's ace, my wife. they still didn't see what the problem was.
  • Andy
    Andy Posts: 8,207
    This is a problem in a lot of places. Went riding at Cannock yesterday and noticed lots of litter particularly at the top of the fireroad climb.

I dont understand how someone could be happy to drop litter in a forest like that.
  • bay73
    bay73 Posts: 130
    was quite happy to say that whilst riding Afan last weekend I saw very little rubbish. :)
  • nonnac85
    nonnac85 Posts: 1,608
    I dont understand how someone could be happy to drop litter in a forest like that.

I dont understand either. Was out on my local trails today and went to some I havent been to for a while. It seems that some of the the dog walkers in the area have seen fit to suspend bags of dog logs from low branches that overhang the trail (its mainly bridleway trails so used by walkers and bikers)
    Why do people think this is ok?!?!
    My Website - Trail Centre info for the UK: MTB Trail Time
  • because people are 4r5eh0le5.
  • Litter in the country side is apalling :(

I've even picked up litter left behind sometimes- some people just don't give a f*ck :( :x
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3
  • _Ferret_
    _Ferret_ Posts: 660
    Aye, im afraid it's a sign of our declining society or some b*llocks like that, I mean im no tree hugging eco warrior but I think the countryside should be appreciated.

And yes I agree about the inner tubes being discarded as well but look on the bright side, given enough time you wont need to wear body armour there will be so much rubber by the trailside your just gonna bounce right back up !! :lol:

WHAT!?
    people throw away inner tubes!
    Inner tubes are one of the most useful bits of dead bike you can get! are these people mad?
    Not really active
  • afan is a tip, they should build a housing estate on it, that will teach them.