SRS Events 2010 cyclosportive events

SRS Events
SRS Events Posts: 264
SRS EVENTS CYCLOSPORTIVE EVENTS 2010

In 2010 SRS EVENTS WILL BE RUNNING A CYCLOSPORTIVE TROPHY SERIES.
With Riders times in each event going towards the overall best time, the Four Events are as follows:-

BURGESS HILL SPRINGTIME CLASSIC CYCLOSPORTIVE 21/03/10

BURGESS HILL TOUR DE WEALD CYCLOSPORTIVE 02/05/10

BURGESS HILL 1066 RIDE CYCLOSPORTIVE 04/07/10

BURGESS HILL RUMBLE CYCLOSPORTIVE 29/08/10

You can read about the this years Burgess Hill Rumble Cyclosportive in Cycling Weekly (November 5th)

Entry for these events will be available on our website from the 5th December 2009.

Our next event is the SRS EVENTS CYCLOSPORTIVE TRAINING DAY on the 29th November 2009 http://www.srs-events.cc/training_day/index.htm

Comments

• My understanding is that Cyclosportives are not allowed to be competitive races as they are a mass start events held on the open road. How come you can offer a trophy for the overall best time? Surely this is encouraging come kind of racing.

My concern is that the uneducated offcials would then look at these events as competitive and start trying to ban them and those of us who don't really care about posting a super fast time would lose out.
  • You are of course right in many ways and safety is our first concern when organising our events.

Hence why we haven't yet release our website yet due to the issue of people competing in Cyclosportives.

Cyclosportives are not races, but it would be nice to see how a riders does in all events over the year. Making it possible for a Rider to compare the times with others over the different events might lead to more enjoyment out of a series.

We will be running the events but the word "Trophy" will more than likely be left out.

It might just be a case of offering an overall gold silver and bronze awards to those that ride all the events. again not in any order of times. No winners just an out of order list of riders times.

We will be looking at this more closely and the website will be live on the 5th of December.

You will of course understand that many riders like to know how well they have done and like the slightly competitive element of cyclosportives. otherwise wants the point of a time.
    ITS A CLOUDY SUBJECT I know so we are still working out what would be the best way to bring all the events together as one.

Gold Silver and bronze awards for the whole year seems the best solution.
    What do you think Nottscobb?
  • I totally agree that there is a competitve element to sportives and I would be lying if I said I don't compare my own times with others when the times are published. Having Gold, Silver and Bronze awards based on times seems like a good way forwards to me but I am by no means an authority on this subject.

One area you may wish to compare against, if you haven't already, are trailquests. I have taken part in a few of these and they have similar legal issues about running competive events on public rights of way but I'm sure some of them have been able to give out small prizes at the end of events and/or series of events. It might just be that these events are just points based rather than time based but I am not sure.

Whichever format you choose I wish luck with the events.
  • Ace. I'll most certainly be travelling south again for the spring classic.
  • Hi SRS

thanks for the diary dates.

Is the route map in CW accurate? Looks a little wrong near cobs lane.

A couple of comments from the Last Rumble. First it was an excellent event! But for future events can you improve the toliet facilities at the start, more signage and more toliets open? You use a school so their must be lots of "facilities" available. Also make sure newbies know that they need to collect their timing chip. I saw several riders at the start who had to go back to the Hall to get their chip. I was v nearly one of them.

thanks Davy
  • No worries David

We have that sorted for next time.
    The smaller school was a last minute change due to the bigger schools canteen not being available.

And the Cycling weekly map was a little wrong.
    But at least the event got noticed.

What about the route David would you like a few more hill and longer :lol:

The Tour de Weald
    next year will be longer and harder than the Rumble.
  • Dear SRS,

I've only completed the Challenge ride which I found very good. A couple of London based riders that I teamed up with couldn't believe the number of hills in the ride.
    Personally my preference are long hills ( kidds) rather than the short steep stuff ( cobs lane ). Still for next time i'll try and rid myself of my excess weight that sits on my girth as thats sure to help :D

davy
  • Hi Davy,

Don't worry about the girth too much just keep riding!

If you are interested we have a training day on the 29th of November which will aid in your ability to climb those hills on our events next year with advice from our speakers on the day.
    http://www.srs-events.cc/training_day/index.htm

It is the steep hills that are the strength sappers especially at the end of a ride that's why we put in the Cobb Lane hill , to test the entrants. It does have the added bonus that it makes the event photographers job easier as well :lol:

:twisted: we are finalising the route for the Tour de Weald and the 1066 Ride I am keen to make them even harder but people keep telling me I am sadistic when I show them the routes, I can't see the problem I a mean there is the option of the other three rides on the day.

Distances of 40, 70, 100, and 130, are being planned for both the Tour de Weald and the 1066 Ride, yes distance is miles not KM.

You will see what comes out of the melting pot here at SRS Events next month :lol:
  • Getting a bit scared now -- I haven't ridden my bike for a month nearly and only 63 days to the Burgess Hill Springtime Classic.

What's the best sort of training plan for getting my endurance up for riding and event like the Springtime classic.
    I know your all going to say lots of miles but I don't have much time in the week to train only Sundays.