Back wheel sliding away

matsp
matsp Posts: 5
edited November 2009 in MTB general
Hi, i've been cycling mountain bikes for about 5 years mainly just to get from a-b or along my local canal. I've recently bought a new bike a hardtail Reebok Core 21-speed Alloy Cycle (20/26") (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Reebok-Core-21-speed-Alloy-Cycle/dp/B001OI2VJU/ref=pd_sxp_f_pt) and am having problems with the back wheel skidding/sliding away on corners where it has never happened before on previous bikes (an apollo and a decathlon). In fact i've never had this problem at all before. It happens on pavement, and if i go onto something like gravel it's just ridiculous. My technical skills are pretty poor and i'd very much appreciate some advice on why this is happening. I'm considering moving everything off the reebok frame onto the old decathlon one on the assumption that theres something wrong with the frame / balance of the reebok, but that's gonna be a huge job for me.
my website: With Nature UK

Comments

• i'd go for change of tyre pattern and trying different PSI in the tyres !
  • nwmlarge
    nwmlarge Posts: 778
    are you leaning forward a lot ?

has the bike got a long stem or are the bars layed forwards ?
  • matsp
    matsp Posts: 5
    Hi. I'm not leaning forward a lot. I can't answer the other questions but here's a photo if it helps B001OI2VJU.01._SX420_SCLZZZZZZZ_V250184194_.jpg
    Changing the tyre pressure doesnt seem to have made much difference, perhaps a little better at higher pressure but it doesnt get rid of the problem. thanks for your help.
    my website: With Nature UK
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    These bikes are built to the lowest price possible, so the tyres on them are not very good add to that the poor handling frame and forks and you've seen the results.

It's far better to spend the same amount of money on a good second hand bike than on one of these.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • Replacing the bike is a little extreme taking what you do and where you ride with it into consideration.

I'd look at a new rear tyre. I cannot make any suggestions as my true mountain bikes rarely ever touch asphalt., so what I'd recommend is that some Members suggest a good all round tyre with plenty of bite for commuting
  • nwmlarge
    nwmlarge Posts: 778
    shorter stem and maybe a layback seat post may help