Cable disc cables in Hydraulic frame clips

The Rookie
The Rookie Posts: 27,812
edited November 2009 in MTB general
My Commuter bike has the cable clips designed for Hydraulics which means using a full length (heavier LOL) outer cable - or does it?

Anyone any ideas how I can make some stops so I can loose some outer to save some weight?

As an indication the rear mech cable (2 short outer sections) weighs 45g to the rear brake 95g due to the full length outer.

The frame is allegedly (its been repainted) a Carrera one with the cable guides being 2 x 3/4 loops at either end of each mounting 'pad' - I've tried to get a photo from the net but no joy so will take one later!

Edit: like the ones on this bike http://www.moredirt.co.uk/bikes/12248.jpg

Simon
Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    you can get inserts to convert them to cable stops.

Visit your LBS.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Rookie
    Nick, as ever your a star......will ask them.

Similar Q, I have a miavic rim that has a shraeder vlave sized hole and a plastic sleeve for running Presta, I guess those sleeves could be found through an LBS as well?

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Anyone any ideas how I can make some stops so I can loose some outer to save some weight?
    can you not just blow your nose before going for a ride? you'll save more weight ;)
    full length outers on your cable discs will mean less crap in your cables = better braking.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Nick, as ever your a star......will ask them.

Similar Q, I have a miavic rim that has a shraeder vlave sized hole and a plastic sleeve for running Presta, I guess those sleeves could be found through an LBS as well?

Simon

or use schwallbe presta tubes as the lockrings are steeped to allow then to locate in a shraeder hole.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Rookie
    Argh OK, I have the tubes I have for now unfortunately!

Simon
  • keep the full length outer, saves on soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much maintenance.
  • The Rookie
    Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo current bike has been fine and this is my commuter not off roader anyway, so If I can seave 50g I will do!

Simon
  • stevet1992
    stevet1992 Posts: 1,502
    Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo current bike has been fine and this is my commuter not off roader anyway, so If I can seave 50g I will do!

Simon

I which case M&S do thin socks ... Maybe you could save another few grams this way ? :lol: Surely 50g is really not worth it :shock:
    On-One 456 Sainsburys Season

Calling All SouthEastern Riders
  • How about a daily dose of laxatives.. lose weight internally. Oh, and fill the tyres with helium too.. every little helps..
  • The Rookie
    50g is always worth it, I have some Nylon bolts to blank off the unused frame mountings instead of heavy steel, that's saved about 30g..........it all adds up, you don't make a bike lighter by changing just one thing once you get past a certain point!

Good idea on helium, but hydrogen is less dense still, if a little risky......

Simon
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    surely if its a commuter bike made by carrerra its cast from lead in the first place?
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • The Rookie
    Frame is heavier than ideal, yes (1.835Kg) but came at the right price in the right size at the right time, the next upgrade in a while will be a lighter frame at some point.

Don't knock all Carrera though, my the Kraken frame is 1.4Kg but has no rack mountings etc

Simon