Heaton Park?

freehub
freehub Posts: 4,257
Hi.

Just wondered if Heaton Park in Manchester is sort of like Manchesters richmond park? :p Is the park suitable for doing training around, maybe 5 or so laps or something? If so does anyone ride around this park?

Comments

• No its not big enough ( cycling path wise), to busy with kids running all over the place. I'd give it a miss. I live just round the corner from it and whilst it is quite hilly you'd spend to much time trying to miss people to get into any kind of zone.

which is a real shame being the biggest council owned park in europe or what ever it is.
    Bianchi. There are no alternatives only compromises!
    I RIDE A KONA CADABRA -would you like to come and have a play with my magic link?
  • freehub
    Shame :(

Wish there was something like richmond park round here would make riding so much better.
  • freehub wrote:

Wish there was something like richmond park round here would make riding so much better.

Yeah Heaton park would be superb as its bloody HUGE! even if all they did was make one big cycle path loop going all the way around the edge of it. It would be a bloody good circuit as its quite a hilly park.
    They've just spent a fortune making it return back to its original plan :roll:
    Bianchi. There are no alternatives only compromises!
    I RIDE A KONA CADABRA -would you like to come and have a play with my magic link?
  • freehub wrote:

Tatton Park
    spamspam.jpg
  • freehub
    That's no good, it's just a road through it, you can't do laps, and it's far away.
  • tim000
    tim000 Posts: 718
    plus tatton park has loads of cars going along the road. you see more cars there than on most of the country lanes in cheshire.
  • freehub
    Well I do like going through tatton park with a good tailwind, halfway through it you can get a good 35+mph :D, wheelers did a chaingang through it some months back.
  • Bhima
    Bhima Posts: 2,145
    Chorlton Water Park mate!

It's exactly 1 mile round.

www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?id=25444

You do get a lot of runners, so it'll be hit and miss weather or not it's clear. Lots of room for overtaking though.

It's gravel-ish, but less harsh than the gravel bit at Tatton park.

Have you ever gone round the lake at Platt-fields park? There's a few fixed-gear circuit races round there sometimes. It's pretty fast.
  • freehub wrote:

Yeah Heaton park would be superb as its bloody HUGE! even if all they did was make one big cycle path loop going all the way around the edge of it. It would be a bloody good circuit as its quite a hilly park.
    They've just spent a fortune making it return back to its original plan :roll:
    I remember there many years ago (about 50) Manchester had an Italian Week and a number of top Italian riders came over to compete in a many lapped race around Heaton Park. I think it was won by Ziilioli. I also rode a few races there and won a prime that turned out to be a faded pair of socks donated by a local bike shop.
  • Bhima,

I would not recommend Chorlton water park as it is used primarily as a jogging route and also for families to take kids / dogs for a walk.