Weather for Touring New Zealand - Feb/March/April

Jimfrandisco
Jimfrandisco Posts: 210
edited November 2009 in Tour & expedition
HI - Does anyone have any experience of cycle touring NZ. We're planning to get there Mid-Feb and spend three months touring there camping and in hotels etc
i know the weather in NZ is unpredictable as the UK but does any one have experience of these late summer, early autumn months? Is it going to be ok for camping and touring still or getting pretty grotty?

Thanks

Jim

Comments

• I toured the south island in the early nineties. February was lovely only two rainy days the rest mid 20s. We found you burn much easier due to thinning of the ozone layer, so sunfactor dufflecoat is needed. I'd never used 25 in my life. Loved the tour and have waited for the tour/money/spare holiday to do the north ever since.
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • Try not to miss the chalet site on the shores of Lake Tekapo, I don't think I've been anywhere more beautiful
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • ralex
    ralex Posts: 85
    I've cycle toured in NZ several times and lived there (South Island) for 4 years from 1998.
    On average the weather in NZ is much more settled than here in Britain, with a lot more sunny weather interspersed with usually short 'southerly changes' (bad weather). But as with anywhere, things might be different to normal when you are actually there!
    The north of the North Island can be a bit wetter, but also warmer, slight tropical influence. The west coast of the South Island is a high rainfall region but it usually happens in big downpours that might last a couple of days after which it will be sunny again.
    Mid-feb for three months should be a good time to go, the weather will still be good and the peak of the tourist season will be tailing off, but remember that from about the end of march the nights will be pretty cool and the clocks will go back making camping a bit less enjoyable.
  • Lived in NZ for 12 months in 2004/2005.
    Weather should be really good at this time of year.
    Roads will be busy in Feb/March with tourists.

Hostels in NZ are great. Yuo have all the typically YHA ones but also many are just like peoples homes. Very accomodating for couples with double rooms etc...

This site is great - http://www.bbh.co.nz/ You can join and get a booklet of all hostels in the scheme and book ahead really cheaply...Price of hostels were pretty cheap. We tried to mix it up to save money...

Another thing to look at are Motels. Can get a small self catering apartment/studio room for the night - Good value. I think the AA have a good booklet.

If you contact the tourist office they are very helpful.

Enjoy the trip - its a wonderful country... with lots of hills !!!
  • Normally the weather at that time is excellent. The wind has generally settled down, it is warm without being too hot and school has gone back. DOn't worry about the tourists, we have never had any problem with finding a tent site where ever we have been. Iif you are down Sth for the last month of your time it will be getting cooler. We camp all the time, as all NZ camping grounds have a lounge and kitchen you only need to have a warm sleeping bag to get into in the evening. As mentioned in a previous post there is an excellent Back packing net work BBH being one of them. You can camp at allot of these Back packers as well, normally cheaper than staying at a camp ground and more homely facilities. We try to do that when the opportunity exists.

The South Island in the Autumn is stunning especially in Central Otago.

I don't know if you have heard of or belong to Warmshowers but it gives you an lovely alternative once in a while. Sue and I belong. If you are passing thru from Rotorua to Taupo or vice versa look us up, we welcome cyclist to stay if we are home and can show you some of the local geothermal sites the free ones and the pay ones if you want to.

Take care you will have a great time.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Sorry to hijack the thread but there are some very knowledable guys here :P

When would the preferred time of year to go to the South Island be?

I am having to choose between spring, nice weather and snow still on the peaks.
    Or autumn which is likely warmer and have the leaves turning but the snow has melted (glaciers apart).

Or simply go for summer to get the best chance of nice weather?

Any thoughts?
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • ralex
    daviesee,
    I would go in the second half of summer and early autumn, pretty much when jimfrandisco is planning to go, but maybe from beginning of feb. Depends how long you are going for?
    Spring can be a bit unsettled, compared to later.
    The higher mountains have snow all year round so you will still see plenty of snow-capped peaks.
    As for the leaves turning, yes there are some nice colourful scenes because of that but not as much as you might expect because there are no, or very few, native deciduous tree species in NZ as far as I know, any tree which changes colour will be an imported species and probably around a town or farming area.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Hi, and thanks for the tips.

I was originally planning on going for the whole of March from what I have read on-line and in guide books but if February is better then that is fine by me. Nice to hear direct from people with personal experience.
    Oh, and that will sort out Valentines :wink:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • ralex
    daviesee wrote:
    I was originally planning on going for the whole of March from what I have read on-line and in guide books but if February is better then that is fine by me.

Depends if you are camping or hostelling? If hostelling then I would say If you are only going for one month then maybe mid-feb to mid-march would be best, as you will find it less of a hassle trying to book beds ahead as there will be slightly fewer travellers looking for beds. But if camping then go for february because you will have warmer nights with lighter evenings.
    As mentioned by Brian above, campsites always have a kitchen/dining room and often but not always a separate lounge/TV room, they also usually have cabins which are great if the weather is really bad and you can't be bothered with the tent. Hostels that you can camp at are often the best of both worlds.
  • cpeachey
    cpeachey Posts: 1,057
    We toured South Island (by car) from Feb 28 to Mar 28 this year. It rained twice. Once in the morning at Franz Josef and also at Milford Sound (where it rains most days!) Temp was always mild, max of 30c near the end of the month.
    It;s a beautiful Island. Even the main highways can be cycled with little traffic away from the towns.
    Chris
  • jay_clock
    jay_clock Posts: 2,708
    I did three weeks on the North Island in Jan-Feb last year. I could easily have used hostels for £10 a night vs £7 a night to camp, and avoided carrying my tent etc. up the VERY steep hills that go on for miles! But I had a great time.

Also think about Warm Showers..... I met some lovely people through it

www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/nz for my run down.

Jay