Should I really go racing?

mickmc9
mickmc9 Posts: 17
edited November 2009 in Amateur race
Hi

I'm 35, cycling since may 09, on an entry level aluminium bike.
Some of the guys have been egging me to go racing in 2010.
On my own I average 30-32 km/h over about 80kms. I like the climbs as well.
I done the Sean Kelly 160 this year and I had loads in the tank at the end.

Basically, can somebody out there tell me if I'm far off the mark, considering I'm investing in a much lighter bike this year and obviously the average speed would increase dramatically if cycling in a group situation. I go out with a sportif group occasionally and find the pace ...........let's just say it's always very enjoyable but I'm never stretched any where near my limits. I don't want to go racing and make an ass of myself either!

I'm only tempted to compete because I don't want to be forty something and say 'I should have'.

Comments

• jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    Yes, if you're interested, Go try a race! Try a couple of local beginner either 4th cat or Go Race, and see if you enjoy it. It sounds like you'll not have a problem holding on - although speeds aren't a very reliable indicator, roads and routes are different.

Of course, you can still wait until you're 40 too and do it then, but you might aswell do it now, you'll just be stronger by the time your 40.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    mickmc9 wrote:
    I'm only tempted to compete because I don't want to be forty something and say 'I should have'.
    Your life as a racing cyclist doesn't need to end at forty. I know plenty of folks in their 60s and 70s who race and many of them would put most 30-somethings to shame. This is a life-long sport!

Ruth
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,385
    Just do it, you may get dropped in a few races to start (it happened to most of us at first). Sounds like you have the base fitness - don't get hung up on average speeds, what will get you in a road race is the change of pace rather than the average. Get out and do plenty of interval training in addition to the basic miles. You don't mention if you are in a club, if not I would recommend joining one as you will then get used to riding shoulder to shoulder and wheel to wheel. 35 is a good age to start as it gives you 5 years of practice before starting vets racing (I'm nearly 37 and just starting back!) :lol:
  • Dess1e
    Dess1e Posts: 239
    Yes - next question?
  • grahamcp
    grahamcp Posts: 323
    Absolutely yes you should give it a go - you will wish you'd done it years ago!

But I would echo one of the above posts by saying that you should ideally get some solid experience of close group riding if you are not used to it, for your safety and that of others.
  • lfcquin
    lfcquin Posts: 470
    Join a club and do some chaingangs. That will give you the speed you need to race and it will give you the experience you need of riding in a group.

Im 36, came back to racing this year. Started doing chaingangs in Feb with the local club and started racing in April. I started with some TLI events which I found slightly easier, I then progressed on to 4th Cat BC races. I found the 3rd & 4th Cat BC races ok, but the races with the 2nd Cats were a bit tougher so are to be avoided to start with.

Most of the races I did averaged between 23 & 25 mph, but don't let that put you off, if you can do 20mph on your own, you can hang in to a group averaging 25mph. The biggest issue is dealing with the speed changes, at times the pace can be really high and at other times it seems like a breeze. Do some sprint work and get used to going from zero to being on the limit.

Give it a go, you won't regret it!
  • guv001
    guv001 Posts: 688
    lfcquin wrote:
    The biggest issue is dealing with the speed changes, at times the pace can be really high and at other times it seems like a breeze. Do some sprint work and get used to going from zero to being on the limit.

Good advice...
  • mickmc9,

I started cycling this year and was in a similar age to yourself. I would say definitely go for it. Look out for Cat4/GoRace events especially for a gentle introduction to racing.

I would echo what people have said about not getting hung up on average speeds. The real test in your first races is can you hold a wheel, be comfortable in a bunch and live with the accelerations rather than being able to do the same average speed but at a constant effort.

Also, you mention you ride with a group occasionally. I would definitely recommend joining a club. Not only will they help you with training (it's amazing how fast you can improve if you're riding chain gangs etc. with stronger riders) but your first races will be much less nerve-wracking if you've got a club-mate(s) there for moral support.

Give it a go and good luck with it!
  • kieranb
    kieranb Posts: 1,674
    sounds like you should be well able, I started 4 years ago at 35, as others have said you have a 25 years ahead of you for racing.
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    kieranb wrote:
    sounds like you should be well able, I started 4 years ago at 35, as others have said you have a 25 years ahead of you for racing.
    More than that I hope. :shock:
  • kieranb
    kieranb Posts: 1,674
    no, 35 + 25 will bring him up to 60 years, time to mellow out and go on some easy CTC rides :wink:
  • richk
    richk Posts: 564
    Definitely yes. I started timetrialling at 43...
    There is no secret ingredient...
  • Dess1e
    kieranb wrote:
    no, 35 + 25 will bring him up to 60 years, time to mellow out and go on some easy CTC rides :wink:

Try telling some of the older LVRC guys that its time they slowed down...Tony Woodcock being a prime example at I believe 68 and still able to more than hold his own in BC races.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    In my experience, the racing gets better at 40+ because of LVRC races and the fact that the majority or riders are experienced and considerate of others, not solely focused on their own race at the expense of other riders.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    Does that include the old farts who cannot corner and go off on the bends onto the grass? :D
    Well I seen a few do it but not many :D
    Not so much riding down wrong side of road like in bcf events for sure.
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    When you get into the older racing ‘fraternity’, it isn’t “the old farts who cannot corner and go off on the bends onto the grass” who are the problem, but those few who feel it’s legitimate to use (quite) a bit of elbow when approaching corners, bends and narrow stretches of road, i.e. not "considerate of others" (as Monty Dog wrote). There may be not many of them, but when you encounter one, you either have to be ahead of them or have as big elbows.
  • andy162
    andy162 Posts: 634
    Join a club, but join a club that promotes ( ie runs) their own races. Cat 3/4 races ( in my area) are oversubscribed & now there is talk of sending back races entries of those riders who are unattatched or ride for non-promoting clubs. It sounds harsh but the entries are screened in this way. This has come from British Cycling & was brought up at our club AGM last week. I guess it is to encourage riders who race to join a racing club.
  • Harry B
    Harry B Posts: 1,239
    BeaconRuth wrote:
    mickmc9 wrote:
    Your life as a racing cyclist doesn't need to end at forty. I know plenty of folks in their 60s and 70s who race and many of them would put most 30-somethings to shame. This is a life-long sport!

Ruth

That's good to hear. I'm starting in the new year and will be 46!

I need to get my fitness up though. This sodding weather is really affecting my training
  • Dess1e
    andy162 wrote:
    Join a club, but join a club that promotes ( ie runs) their own races. Cat 3/4 races ( in my area) are oversubscribed & now there is talk of sending back races entries of those riders who are unattatched or ride for non-promoting clubs. It sounds harsh but the entries are screened in this way. This has come from British Cycling & was brought up at our club AGM last week. I guess it is to encourage riders who race to join a racing club.

Thats always been my first selection criteria if my races are over-subsribed.
  • YES! you should race!