Giro may start in Washington D.C

The Kennington Kaiser
edited November 2009 in Pro race
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/giro-ditalia-considers-start-in-washington-dc

Call me old-fashioned, but that's ridiculous. 8 hour flight, 6 hour time difference. This is a bike race not a circus.

Comments

• Yes this is ludicrous. I doubt it would ever come to pass.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Have the Start in Washington, fly back to Italy, have both the rest days then, endure 20 back to back stages of boring racing, because everyone is too tired to do fcuk all else. Sounds like a plan to me.
    spamspam.jpg
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Whatever next?

Premiership "soccer" in the US of A?
    NFL, NHL, NBL in London?

OH! :wink:

Still a very, very stupid idea.

If they want to promote cycling in the States, then organise a genuinely prestigious race there. Or bribe the pros to go. Or both.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • I don't think it's about promoting cycling in the States, it's about doing something the Tour and ASO have never done.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601

I don't know about that. These big events are something of circus's in their own right. It's just that they happen to have a bike race traveling along with them. :wink::wink:
  • bikerZA
    bikerZA Posts: 314
    Never going to happen, without a couple of rest days after the transfer to let the riders get over the jet lag.
  • Why not just go to Washington State and take out California? :roll:
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    with concord it could have been done as a quick in and out for the riders...for those following 20 years ago, they might recall Quebec was seriously considered by the TDF but never came to be....Fly in the day before and leave the same evening you finish the stage, arrive the morning following in EU and have 48hrs rest of rest..??
  • deal
    deal Posts: 857
    Dave_1 wrote:
    with concord it could have been done as a quick in and out for the riders...for those following 20 years ago, they might recall Quebec was seriously considered by the TDF but never came to be....Fly in the day before and leave the same evening you finish the stage, arrive the morning following in EU and have 48hrs rest of rest..??

Would love to know how much it would have cost to hire a few Concorde, don't forget they only carried 100 passengers (and this was reduced to 92 after the crash i believe)
  • donrhummy
    donrhummy Posts: 2,329
    Hey, don't deny those of us in the USA! We want real european cycling in our backyard!
  • teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    They've only put it on because cyclingnews.com is an american site.
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    deal wrote:
    Dave_1 wrote:

Would love to know how much it would have cost to hire a few Concorde, don't forget they only carried 100 passengers (and this was reduced to 92 after the crash i believe)

this was a story in winning in the 1980s, speculations.. late 80s...re 2011, I imagine most of the bikes and stuff could be kept the other side of the Atlantic rather than fleets of planes flying the whole event back to the EU...I guess what..300-400 people..riders, DS, masseurs, mechanics..commisaires,..how many are needed? how many would be essential and need flown over and back...all the rest could be filled for by others in the USA . I guess the Giro organisers are working through this thought process now if the story is correct
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    teagar wrote:
    They've only put it on because cyclingnews.com is an american site.

It's not, it's British (based in Bath) and originally Australian.
    Twitter: @RichN95