Jittery carbon fork

0scar
0scar Posts: 219
edited November 2009 in The workshop
I have just bought a second hand Trek with a carbon fork on an aluminium frame. I have never ridden on carbon before but I've heard it's much better than aluminium at reducing vibration (which I have to say I'd never had a problem with before). The vibration on this is so much worse than on my aluminium forked Scott and the handling is jittery, despite 42cm bars. The headset is a bit battered so either:

1. This is just how they made carbon in 2004, or
2. I just need a new headset and all will be well.

I've seen a half price FSA headset on CRC down to £12. If i get and fit this will it solve the problem or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Thanks!
Commuter: Taped-up black Trek 2200 (FCN 5)
Shiny bike: Pinarello FP2 (FCN 3)

Comments

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    The steering on my old commuter (carbon fork, alu frame) was jittery for a while. The LBS said the headset was loose and, because it had been loose for a while, probably knackered.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    Hi I've had similar issues with loose headsets. Not that hard to tighten up, bit harder to change.
  • 0scar
    0scar Posts: 219
    Thanks guys. I'm going to take it into the LBS - there are some cheap headests online but I don't know if mine's integrated or 1 1/8 or, in fact, anything at all about this so I might just shamefacedly pay someone to fix it for me.
    Commuter: Taped-up black Trek 2200 (FCN 5)
    Shiny bike: Pinarello FP2 (FCN 3)
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    The easy way to tell if your head is OK is:

Stand astride the bike, feet on ground.
    Apply front brake only.
    Try and rock the bike back and forward.

There might be a bit of give from the tyre and fork bending, but if it feels clunky, you're wrong in the headset.