Front disc brake with STI levers?

citycommuter
citycommuter Posts: 19
edited November 2009 in The workshop
To improve my wet weather stopping power I'm tempted to try adding a disc brake, (so require new front fork and wheel) to my commuting bike (would require too much effort/cost to replace back wheel and I'm not sure that it matters). My sidepulls are well adjusted and work great in the dry but even if I keep the rims clean my wet eather stopping always leaves me nervous :o . Having surfed a bit it looks like BB7's may be a good choice of brake for STI levers, but are there any carbon cross forks with disc mounts and eyelets? Also what would be a good hub?
Commuting FCN 7: Green Roberts
Road FCN 2: Look KX Light

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    http://info.carboncycles.cc/?s=0&t=2&c=75&p=787&

That's the only carbon fork with disc mounts and mudguard eyelets I can think of off the top of my head. They get fairly good reviews.

For the hub, I'd look at a Shimano XT. You can either get one of the new centre-lock ones and a centre-lock rotor (it is a much better system) or look for one of the old ones with a standard 6 bolt mounting.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Having surfed a bit it looks like BB7's may be a good choice of brake for STI levers,

take care, you need the BB7 road calliper

the BB7 would not be a good idea.

http://www.sram.com/en/avid/mechanicald ... /index.php
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Mr P
    Mr P Posts: 548
    Fork: Try Kinesis Crosslight DC19, about £130
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I have an Onza smart guy alloy fork (£45 delivered from Onza via ebay) which has meaty dropouts, now drilled and tapped for guard eyelets.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.