Hope Tech M4 Brake Installation !

chubby666
chubby666 Posts: 116
edited November 2009 in MTB general
Recieved through post today , just a quick one .
they are already fully bled , do i just bolt on and wear in ! or do i have to do anything else ?

Comments

• clarkson
    clarkson Posts: 1,641
    basically just bolt on and wear in. piece of p**s to do.
    I said hit the brakes not the tree!!

2006 Specialized Enduro Expert
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/3192886/

2008 Custom Merlin Malt 4
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/2962222/

2008 GT Avalanche Expert
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/3453980/
  • Didn't they come with instructions?
  • Repackage send back and go buy some decent brakes :p
  • Rockhopper wrote:
    Didn't they come with instructions?

ha ha ha see we have another comedian in then :roll:

Brakes fitted , done within an hour and a halt :D

send them back and get somw decent brakes ! nowt wrong with HOPE matey :wink:
  • Seen to may fail with all there fiddly bits and bobs.

I have started to go with the attitude less to play with less to go wrong.
  • pypdjl
    pypdjl Posts: 52
    Seen to may fail with all there fiddly bits and bobs.

What fiddly bits?
  • You know the most reccomended brake in the alps by alot of locals? hayes 9(don't use these myself i find them wooden) but they are some of the most simple brakes on the market.

bits and bobs i refer to like pad adjusters and so on is just an area to brake in my honest opinion and the simpler the better is a good thing. but again it depends where and what you ride, if you buumpig around your locals or busy traisl centers cool, but if you an epic rider ie huge distances and so on the simpler is better. easier to fix on the fly and gernerally less parts to go wrong
  • pypdjl
    pypdjl Posts: 52
    They don't have pad adjusters, they have lever reach and bite point adjusters, but I find it hard to imagine anything going wrong with those, and even if it did they would just be locked in one position, and wouldn't stop the brake functioning. Hopes are very simple brakes (as are most hydraulics to be fair), so I have no idea where you have got the impression they are complicated from. You don't even need a bleed kit for them.
  • scale20
    scale20 Posts: 1,300
    I'm a hope man myself too, simple to fit, fix, bleed and you can get every single little part you need.

Nice buy there chubby666, just watch they don't send you over the bars :lol::lol:
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • Nice buy there chubby666, just watch they don't send you over the bars :lol::lol:[/quote]

they should be fully bedded in within my next ride , but i'll bear that in mind :wink::lol:
  • richg1979
    richg1979 Posts: 1,087
    i have tech m4s too and love them to bits totaly faultless for last 6 months, not 1 problem and infinate amounts of progression and power.

people rave about the avid elixirs but i gave my cr's 2 weeks before i sold them, way to grabby, couldnt ride loose or mud without locking them up.
  • Lol,i love the elixir, you have to be so light on them that arm pump is totally eliminated from braking!
  • Never suffered arm pump on my MTB used to get it a lot in my Moto X days though
  • It is also hilarious when others ride your bike at slow speed. They touch the brake and it stops them!
  • richg1979
    richg1979 Posts: 1,087
    you always had to think and be on edge with my old elixirs, a sedden hairy moment on a tight trail and you would grab the brake and endo off into the scenery.

tech m4s work as a brake should, the more you pull the leaver the faaster you stop.