Cheltenham Cyclo Cross - 22nd November

Tim Sluman
Tim Sluman Posts: 34
edited November 2009 in Amateur race
Announcing a new event promoted by the Cheltenham and County Cycling Club at Pittville Park Cheltenham. The event forms part of the season long Western Cyclo-Cross League.

We ran a round of the National Trophy at this venue for a number of years upto 2006, now with the permission and support of Cheltenham Borough Council we are delighted to resurrect the venue

Event Details available via this link:

http://www.cc-cc.co.uk

Youth racing from 10.30am, Seniors at 11.30
Entries on the line (or in advance)
Contact Info via BC events calendar

Comments

• guv001
    guv001 Posts: 688
    Would have loved to have done this one but I have to go to work..... gutted :(
  • Sorry all another cheeky plug...
    Tim Sluman wrote:
    Announcing a new event promoted by the Cheltenham and County Cycling Club at Pittville Park Cheltenham. The event forms part of the season long Western Cyclo-Cross League.

We ran a round of the National Trophy at this venue for a number of years upto 2006, now with the permission and support of Cheltenham Borough Council we are delighted to resurrect the venue

Event Details available via this link:

Youth racing from 10.30am, Seniors at 11.30
    Entries on the line (or in advance)
    Contact Info via BC events calendar
  • jpembroke
    jpembroke Posts: 2,569
    I'll be there!
    :D
    I'm only concerned with looking concerned
  • Monowai
    Monowai Posts: 329
    I'll be there too - the West Mids league this weekend is one of the wettest and muddiest courses in existence, so will be trying the Cheltenham race instead. :lol:

How is the course looking? Wet I presume :?
    Cake makes me happy
  • jpembroke
    it'll be fairly heavy going no doubt, but won't be as bad as Bristol last weekend. Man, that sucked. Quite literally!
  • Course should hold up well it's mainly grass and grassy banks with a bit of single track by the lake, so shouldn't be too muddy.

Do let us have your course feedback this is John's (organiser) first promotion and we'd like to know what everyone thinks of the course (it's different to the old National Trophy course)
  • jpembroke
    Top race but a bit heavy going. Hard, technical course with no rests - the flat sections were very muddy. Got a good start but unfortunately faded in the middle. Bloody knackered now.
  • The new course proved tougher than we'd expected. We were deluged yesterday afternoon and evening which left the course probably as heavy as it will ever be. A great turnout for the new promotion. Left John sorting out the full results, but a win for Darren Atkins from Duncan Jamieson though

Thank you to all the 86 competitors hope you all enjoyed the course and event.
  • jpembroke
    86 is an amazing turnout. I'm looking forward to seeing my Dad's video of the start now. Well done and thank you for putting on a great event.
  • Monowai
    A great course in the end - nice and flowing and just muddy enough to make things a bit interesting on most of the corners. Really enjoyed today's race. :D
    Cake makes me happy
  • Monowai
    But my result does need correcting :( have emailed organiser.
    Cake makes me happy
  • jpembroke
    You have your result? Where you get that to?
  • Monowai
    From the Cheltenham CC website - follow link to "cyclo cross". looks like they have just been uploaded. But like I say, I think they need another proof check before you take them as the final standings. :wink:
    Cake makes me happy
  • jpembroke
    Monowai wrote:
    But my result does need correcting :( have emailed organiser.

Hmmm, just found results on the website and it looks as if mine needs correcting too. I am certain I didn't get lapped twice. Second time this has happened this season.
  • Monowai
    Yep, me too - I was only lapped once not 3 times as recorded. I expect a proof check in the next day or so will sort out the result properly.
    Cake makes me happy
  • jpembroke
    I hope so. I can see several riders who finished on the same lap as me yet are recorded as finishing a lap ahead; and 2 guys recorded as @ 3 laps one of whom I beat whilst the other beat me. What a mess!
  • Yes John is aware of some anomalies in the results, he'll get them corrected and updated hopefully tonight !

Once they are finalised we'll arange to get the prize pot distributed as well

Bear with us this is John's first promotion ... thought he created a brilliant course/event just this minor hiccup... be gentle on him !
  • jpembroke
    OK. Sorry if I was getting a bit upset. It's just that I've never seen myself so far done the rankings and it was a bit of a shock.

And yes, it was a great course. Will you be putting one on again next year?
  • Monowai
    That was the first time I had raced there, so can't compare it to previous courses, but it seemed good. I heard a few comments it wasn't technical enough, but I liked it. Even if it wasn't the most technical, it was still a hard lap. :twisted:

In terms of improvement, you could have perhaps put in a few more turns to break up some of the longer sections or sent us up and down the banking a bit more. A proper pit section will be required in future, tho'.

And fair play to the organiser - my comment about my incorrect position was sorted out within half an hour of me emailing him, so thanks for that :)

hope to see it back next year :)
    Cake makes me happy
  • The local council had only just put in the main bank as a bund to protect the leisure centre which suffered major flooding in 2007, so we were asked to avoid a whole swath of the central area whilst the soil/grass settles. Hopefully we'll have full uniteruppted use of the whole park next year.

We'll be having a review and picking up on the lesson learnt, and will be back next year bigger and even better.
  • Updated results are up